Crowds First Week of January

judykay53

DIS Veteran
How were the crowds starting January 2. We are considering keeping the kids out a little longer for their Christmas break and going to WDW on the 2nd. They would miss a minimum amount of time and it is also the beginning of a new semester. We went in June of last year and would like to try on off season.. We have to decide if the decrease in crowds warrants taking them out of school. Any other value season would not work with their school schedule.

We were there the first week of January, Monday 1-3-05 - Friday 1-7-05. Crowds were a bit heavier then I expected but way better then they are in the summer or at peak holiday times. Using fastpass we didn't wait more then 20 minutes for anything. Test Track at Epcot was the only attraction that had long waits and fastpass times for hours later. We just waited to do it during an EMH. We also had perfect weather. Highs of 80, the warm temps may have contributed to it being more crowded then we expected. I would definately go back during this time of year. :banana:

bump--we are thinking of going then too(APs expire 1/22), and the kids don't go back to school until 1/9

Was there Saturday 1/1 to 1/8. The first two days the crowds were still Christmas-time heavy. Monday, 1/3 was less but still very crowded. After that, it wasn't bad at all but the week was still more crowded than I had seen before for that time of year. Nevertheless, we are going to do it again next year (also 1/1 to 1/8 but Sunday to Sunday next year). Osborne lights in MGM were up through 1/2. Other park Christmas decorations were progressively taken down Monday to Wednesday. Hotels kept decorations up until Friday the 7th. The weather was perfect as noted above -- high 70's to low 80's daily and only a couple of small showers (one was just sprinkles for about 5 minutes). Note, don't expect that every year, sometimes it is quite cool the whole week.

Past two years we have gone then and loved it. Last month we went Jan 5th-11th, which was terrific, 80's all week-(guess it made up for those times we went to Florida in the winter and it was 40's), crowds were low, no waits or minimal waits for everything.

We chose to go on the 5th this time due to 2004's experience when we went on the 2nd of Jan and hit the post-Christmas crowds that were staying through the weekend.
Yikes, was that crowded, like wall to wall. Don't know how anyone can handle going during that busy time between Christmas and New Years. So this year we waited a couple extra days for everyone to clear out and go home!! Didn't get to see as much in the way of decorations though. And some rides are closed, but it really is a great time of year to go.

Now that I'm telling you this, I expect you to keep it under your hat, don't want everyone down there then, we like the parks empty.

Never thought about the decorations still being up. That's a big plus. Also, never made it to Little Rock to see the Osborne's light when they were there (the Osbounes are from Little Rock and had all those lights on their property, at least enough of them to cause problems). Now I can go to Florida to see them :cheer2: Got to work this out now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter