Crowd Calendars Obsolete?

Aspencreek

Mouseketeer
We just did a one day visit to DL last week (Thurs Feb 29). I had looked at the crowd calendars before visiting and I won't name names, but one of the big ones listed the 29th as one of their least busy days. Basically a 2 out of 5 level with 5 being packed. We had a great day but did find the crowds to be much heavier than we would have thought from what the predictor said, and by far more people than on the 1 day visit we did back on Dec 12th. We still had a great time and with help from Genie+ we got on just about everything we wanted. So that was fine and no biggie.

But AFTER the trip I looked again at that crowd calendar and NOW it says the 29th is a 5 out of 5 for crowds. Guess I didn't realize that they would not only be wayyyy off on their predictions, but that then they would backwards revise it too. Has anyone else found the calendars to be of any value these days with the reservation system? Any actually accurate ones or do you just go when you can go and not bother with predictions?

I was there on the 29th for my birthday. They used to do some special Leap Day stuff, but not for the last couple.

It was busy all last week. Mornings were ok, but evenings got packed with locals.

Crowd calendars were relatively accurate pre-pandemic (before park reservations were required). I think the reservation system and dynamic pricing for single day tickets is responsible for less variation between traditionally packed days and ghost town days. I’m not sure any of the major crowd prediction sites are particularly accurate nowadays.

Always rope drop....unless your just coming in to Chill then I really think if your not rope dropping you are losing a great deal of value from your ticket

But yeah, every day is basically 7/10+ filled up park. It's rare if there is a slow day
Absolute truth Dragon89. You can a lot done early in the morning

Any actually accurate ones or do you just go when you can go and not bother with predictions?
Outside of obvious holidays and October, yup!

My sister (a WDW vet) was stressing and stressing over the calendars and picking the best day to go on her upcoming May trip. I told her to pick the day that works the best for her and then make it the best day.

More accurate than a crowd calendar I find looking at when magic keys are blocked can be telling. If the bottom 2 keys are blocked that day is likely to be less crowded. If all but the top tier is, even more so. Example of this is how Saturdays (at least for the past year or so) have been quite lovely compared to Sundays.

Friends were here on Friday and it was jammed. It’s also busier than usual right now. A CM friend just explained that today is the last day to use heavily-discounted children’s tickets (like around $50). I suspect that explains recent larger (and rather unexpected) crowds. Hopefully crowds are lighter beginning next week.

Friends were here on Friday and it was jammed. It’s also busier than usual right now. A CM friend just explained that today is the last day to use heavily-discounted children’s tickets (like around $50). I suspect that explains recent larger (and rather unexpected) crowds. Hopefully crowds are lighter beginning next week.

I saw someone else mention the kids tickets being a likely cause of heavier than typical crowds. Must be something to that.

Nice thing was even on a day that the crowds felt quite heavy, we still managed to use Genie+ very effectively and did something like 9 or 10 LL rides with minimal waits, plus a number of other rides on Standby. Guess we're learning how to use Genie+ better with each visit.

Disney is going to do everything they can to increase crowds if they perceive it's going to be slow.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter