"Critters" are eating my flowers...help!!!

I buy inexpensive cayenne pepper and sprinkle it all over the plants.

We have rabbits - they eat the stems and leave the flowers. Went out the other day and found a pile of flower heads on the ground. Ha....

I buy inexpensive cayenne pepper and sprinkle it all over the plants.

We have rabbits - they eat the stems and leave the flowers. Went out the other day and found a pile of flower heads on the ground. Ha....

I have used cayenne to keep the squirrels from digging up my newly planted flowers in my flower pots. They just love the newly planted ones. :flower3:

I also bought some flower pinwheels at the Dollar store. This is only a deterrent if there is some wind though.

Deer nibbling on our green tomatoes!! dh so mad!
Someone told us today to put human hair around the plants?? Don't know if it actually works?

meme

Human hair does not work on deer or any other critter here :( We have deer that come right up to our front door and eat our Hostas, roses, almost everything :furious: I get so upset with them, could probably kill them with my bare hands :rotfl2:
We bought some "scarecrow" sprinkler heads with motion detectors on them and that has worked as well as any other thing we've tried ( not perfect though).
As for the PP in Ky. about japanese beetles - they are HORRIBLE :crazy2: We have had them on the east coast for years (like 25) and my sis in AR said they appeared there 3 years ago, so making their way west :faint:
The best thing I have found for them is to sprinkle sevin dust powder on your plants/bushes - that is the only thing I have found that really gets them. I tried going "green" and they laughed at me :confused3
Thank goodness the beetles are here only about 2 months or so (seems longer) while the deer NEVER go away.
Anyone want to come hunt at our place?;)
I keep trying to "best" the wild things as I do love my flowers so :goodvibes

We live in the country and have discovered a way to keep all the mammals away from our flowers, shrubs and evergreens. We have to spray about every 6 weeks with Liquid Fence - even through the winter when the weather allows. It will rinse off and not last as long if we don't use a spreader/sticker in the product that helps it stick to the leaves. We buy it by the 2.5 gallon concentrate and also get the sticker our local John Deere store recommends.

The rabbits use our plants for shade but do not eat them. The deer will still come up to the house but if they stick their head into a sprayed plant, they pull it out and grab some unsprayed native vegetation.

Keep in mind that any topical application will not last and must be reapplied often (every 6 weeks for Liquid Fence). We will have damage in spring if the new shoots of our hostas, shrubs or perennials come up and we don't get them sprayed right away.

It stinks beyond belief for the first day or so after spraying, but it allows us to enjoy all the wildlife without worrying about them destroying our landscape.

They sell it in small squirt bottles in most stores. Just make sure it has a sticker / spreader in it or it will rinse off when it rains or when the sprinkler runs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter