Crazy packed in January??

We are going to WDW in January from the 4th-11nth. I know it's a marathon weekend so the resorts will be booked up. I'm just scared the parks will be insanely crowded. Has anyone gone around this time???

As compared to ? ..... actual holiday week, much better. But certainly not empty.

Many areas like ours (7 hours away) are out of school that whole week and WDW is a popular destination.

We used to go that week but it got too crowded for us. But I think it's certainly do-able depending on what you are used to.

As compared to ? ..... actual holiday week, much better. But certainly not empty.

Many areas like ours (7 hours away) are out of school that whole week and WDW is a popular destination.

We used to go that week but it got too crowded for us. But I think it's certainly do-able depending on what you are used to.
We've usually gone November 14-21. I just pray it's not like August or June. If it's like November than I'm fine

Will it be like that?

Will it be like that?

As compared to November 14-21? I would say no, it will be more crowded. Most schools do not have off the week before Thanksgiving week.

Also January 1 starts the South American holiday season through February. We saw mostly families at Disney the first couple weeks of January. The big tour groups start after that. But with their economies being poor I would imagine there will be less.

We are going to WDW in January from the 4th-11nth. I know it's a marathon weekend so the resorts will be booked up. I'm just scared the parks will be insanely crowded. Has anyone gone around this time???
I have gone the past two years at this exact time frame for marathon weekend.

It is not crowded but its also not empty. Don't be intimidated by us runners, for the most part we are friendly and inviting.

As compared to November 14-21? I would say no, it will be more crowded. Most schools do not have off the week before Thanksgiving week.

Also January 1 starts the South American holiday season through February. We saw mostly families at Disney the first couple weeks of January. The big tour groups start after that. But with their economies being poor I would imagine there will be less.
Is it super bad? I'm sorry for all the questions I just want to figure out if I should switch.

Hey, I admire you marathon runners! You'd never catch me there. I just wanna be sure that their won't be an hour wait lines on every ride or attraction that's all. If it's anything how it was during last years food and wine won't bother us all that much.

Hey, I admire you marathon runners! You'd never catch me there. I just wanna be sure that their won't be an hour wait lines on every ride or attraction that's all. If it's anything how it was during last years food and wine won't bother us all that much.
You'll still have your 60 min+ on things like Mine Train and Frozen but most things should be okay.

No its not super bad. You will be fine. There isn't a time when WDW is not crowded anymore there are crowds at all points of the year.
Thank you so much for the peace of mind. Seriously you've really helped. I mean I just re did all my dining reservations and I got everything I wanted so it's not seeming so bad. Even last year that was very hard months in advance.

Is it super bad? I'm sorry for all the questions I just want to figure out if I should switch.

I think you'll be fine but - you asked to compare it to your November week.

Traditionally it has not been like what you are used to that week in November.

That November week is a school week and the week in January many schools are out.

Last edited:
We will be there at the same time, but will be staying until the 13th. If you read up on the Marathon activities, you will see that the runners start off very early, and I would imagine the people who are going to see their friends and cheer them on will be int he parks, but I don't think it will be crazy. But in anticipation, we are doing our non-park resort day on that Saturday, and since there seems to be a big celebration for the marathoners Sunday night (Jan 8) at Disney Springs, we will go to one of the parks and avoid that.

We are anticipating the parks to open up a bit on that Tuesday (Jan 10) since a lot of people may be staying in WDW on that Monday after the marathon weekend - like a long weekend. But it will be great! No matter what! See you there, OP!!!

We will be there at the same time, but will be staying until the 13th. If you read up on the Marathon activities, you will see that the runners start off very early, and I would imagine the people who are going to see their friends and cheer them on will be int he parks, but I don't think it will be crazy. But in anticipation, we are doing our non-park resort day on that Saturday, and since there seems to be a big celebration for the marathoners Sunday night (Jan 8) at Disney Springs, we will go to one of the parks and avoid that.

We are anticipating the parks to open up a bit on that Tuesday (Jan 10) since a lot of people may be staying in WDW on that Monday after the marathon weekend - like a long weekend. But it will be great! No matter what! See you there, OP!!!

Thank you!! I mean as long as it's not super hot Itll be awesome! January weather is Florida sounds so amazing compared to January weather in upstate New York! I was thinking the same thing about people cheering people on.

The races start at like 5:30am and the runners are setting alarms for 2-3am,when you take into account the whole getting up in the middle of the night,actually having to run the races with many runners doing multiple or all 4 races,having to go to sleep early and leaving time to visit the expo to pick up your shirt(s),race bib and to shop means park time is very limited,believe me that even though there are a lot of people at WDW that weekend but the parks are far from crowded.

The races start at like 5:30am and the runners are setting alarms for 2-3am,when you take into account the whole getting up in the middle of the night,actually having to run the races with many runners doing multiple or all 4 races,having to go to sleep early and leaving time to visit the expo to pick up your shirt(s),race bib and to shop means park time is very limited,believe me that even though there are a lot of people at WDW that weekend but the parks are far from crowded.
Wow thank you so much for that! I didn't think about it like that.

Yes - love the cooler weather, as it is so nice to eat outside at some of the beautiful places (like flametree bbq). When it is hot (we used to go in August a lot) you NEED to eat inside with the AC.

We went last January about the same time and we loved every second of our trip. As previously posted the bigger rides will have a wait but we FP those and had such great time. We moved it to February this year just hoping for a little bit warmer weather :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter