Cozumel - USD and/or Pesos?

swimfin

DIS Veteran
Hi! Can you use USD in Cozumel or only Pesos? Also, if Pesos only, can you get Pesos on the ship?

Depending on the exchange rates paying in Pesos may be better. Each store sets their own exchange rates with the dollar and its less favorable then exchange places.

Depending on the exchange rates paying in Pesos may be better. Each store sets their own exchange rates with the dollar and its less favorable then exchange places.
They often just make up whatever price they want if you're paying in USD. Or, they'll charge you as if one Peso is equal to one US dollar. It's absurd.

Convenient, though, if you're not buying anything expensive.

We just use U.S dollars. I’m not going to worry about giving a tip in U.S dollars or even in a store at port for a t shirt. I’m pretty sure I got my change in U.S dollars when I bought a t shirt.

Hello, We were just in Cozumel last Saturday and used a credit card that didn't have a foreign transaction fee, that way we received the actually exchange rate and not the rate the store or restaurant made up.

Hello, We were just in Cozumel last Saturday and used a credit card that didn't have a foreign transaction fee, that way we received the actually exchange rate and not the rate the store or restaurant made up.
THANK YOU!!! .... on a different note, did you notice any of the seaweed issues when you were there? Cheers!

We went to bee sanctuary, Mayan cacao company, and a pharmacy this past week and prices were in both displayed. When paying we also got USD change back.

When I was just there the staff at the shops would quote USD prices and every time I got USD change in return. Most of the prices listed on things were pesos but honestly 90% of the time for gift shop type items prices weren't listed and the store employee would tell me pricing.

When I was just there the staff at the shops would quote USD prices and every time I got USD change in return. Most of the prices listed on things were pesos but honestly 90% of the time for gift shop type items prices weren't listed and the store employee would tell me pricing.
Yeah, they're just making up whatever price they think you'll pay!

Yeah, they're just making up whatever price they think you'll pay!
Yes they are. I went on a tour down there and learned a lot about how they're paid in cozumel so honestly at this point I am perfectly fine with that. I'm at a point in my life where I have an idea of what the value of various items is. If its more than I'm willing to spend I am happy to say no thank you it's beautiful but too much.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter