• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

CoP revoice (not a rumor)

WebmasterCricket

<font color=blue>Administrator<br><font color=red>
If it needed to be revoiced due to whatever reason, does anyone currently hold the proper "status" and have the right type of voice to do CoP justice and have it turn out good enough to not want to dry heave when the curtains open?

Someone said Jonathan Frakes to me the other day and I discounted it at first but now I don't know if I can come up with anybody without finding fault in them either in the speaking part or singing part or "reputation" IRL.

Who would be on your short list? Does it even need to be a known person?

Really, revoiced, why? If it has to be, I'd vote for someone unknown. That way I wouldn't be picturing that person while watching the show! However, it just won't be the same no matter who does it! Picture Kermit voiced by Robert De Niro, wouldn't make sense!
:sad2:

^^^^ Carousel of Progress...

and imho, it either needs to remain untouched as look back at one of Walt's originals, or entirely removed due to it being passé, boring, slow, and unpopular. I waffle back and forth between those two pretty regularly. But re-voicing it will accomplish nothing to "improve" the attraction.

It came up as a related question over the possibility of the last scene being updated and if it was possible to have it constantly being changed while leaving the rest of the scenes alone. If the voice doesn't match, it would not work so the whole thing would need to be revoiced rather than changing it out.

I agree the last scene needs revamping, but I don't know how they can do it without all scenes being revoiced. I love this ride though.

^^^^ Carousel of Progress...

and imho, it either needs to remain untouched as look back at one of Walt's originals, or entirely removed due to it being passé, boring, slow, and unpopular. I waffle back and forth between those two pretty regularly. But re-voicing it will accomplish nothing to "improve" the attraction.

I have to agree. CoP is a family favorite with us.

My almost 7 yr old has loved it since her first time at 3 1/2. It is iconic so I'd hate to see it go even though I don't necessarily share her fervor.

Wouldn't mind Tom Hanks except that I'd be thinking Woody. :)

What happened the last time it was refreshed? I don't see why they can't just find someone to mimic the voice that is being used now for the speaking part in the final scene.

Without looking it up and making sure, I believe it has been voiced three times in total (Rex Allen, Andrew Duggan and Jean Shepherd). A full musical change to "Now is the Time" and then back to the original "Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow", and I think 5 scene changes over time including two complete updates to the final scene. Some of the changes were under "GE" sponsorship and some were not.

It was supposed to be updated as time went by. Leaving it alone is not true to it's nature and historically, it's time.

They could update the last scene without changing the content of the scene. All they really need to do is change out the clothes, kitchen decor and computer used.

I think Tom Hanks could accomplish this
He was my first thought... plus he now has the Disney legacy of voicing Woody and playing Walt himself.

Or what about Steve Martin? I guess I'm thinking of him because he has a familiar, likable voice that isn't exactly region-specific, and he has done the "family man" narration before (Father of the Bride).

Carousel is one of my favorite attractions. I really wish they would refurb it to freshen it up a bit; a new voice and a new last scene would be awesome!

Hmm...for some reason I can see Nic Cage doing it...

If they were to only re-voice the last segment as part of an update, then they need someone who can mimic Jean's voice. I bet James Arnold Taylor can do it, and since he hosts Star Wars Weekends, he can build his little recording studio in the closet at the resort again and so it :)

If they did the whole thing over, for that matter, he could probably do ALL the voices. :) But I don't see much reason for them to redo the older segments, as they show the progression of technology.

I have to agree. CoP is a family favorite with us.

1) It is more than a favorite for myself and son-in-law.
2) ANYTIME we are at Magic Kingdom, I must visit it.
3) Yes, it annoys the wife occasionally, but, marriage is compromise. *

* When I hit my mid-life crisis, I said I wanted a Harley or an affair.
She bought me a Harley.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter