"Cooling Box" Question

turbo teacher

Mouseketeer
We are sailing on the Wonder - Mex Riv in February.

Okay, this might be a totally silly question, but... :confused:

Is a "cooling box" (as listed in the amenities of our oceanview stateroom) a "mini-refridgerator"? I've never heard it called a "cooling box"...we are wanting to have the convenience of having somewhere to keep our daughter's soy milk cold.

Anyone help me out? Thanks in advance :)

It is really a beverage cooler. It cools a little but not enough for meds. The original plan(so ive heard) was to have mini-fridges there but when they put them inside the enclosed cabinate they over heated. (Danger!!) so they had to go with the lower power beverage coolers. You can request a true fridge if you fax tem ahead of time. They will put it under the desk, The Dream will have real mini-fridges in all rooms as they have fixed the over heating problem. Have a great cruise!!! The MV is fabulous! pirate:

What is the size of this "cooling box" is it the size of a mini-fridge but just doesn't keep things as cold as a fridge? So what meant to be kept in this box if it doesn't keep it cold? Seems kind of a waste, no?

What is the size of this "cooling box" is it the size of a mini-fridge but just doesn't keep things as cold as a fridge? So what meant to be kept in this box if it doesn't keep it cold? Seems kind of a waste, no?

Yes. It is about the same size. It keeps things cool just not Cold. So meds are not safe to be kept in there. It keeps drinks at a comfortable drinking temp. Milk may be fine(I've never kept milk in there) THe actual temp of the box depends on the cabin. They vary for some reason. They are not the best in the world but they work. If I were you I would play it safe and ask for the full power one and have it set up under the desk. It is possible that they are planning on working out the over heating problem but we can't be sure. pirate:

I have been on 5 7 night cruises for us the cool box never kept any thing cool. It was more like a cool chest you had to put ice in to keep anything cool. I brought my own favored creamer for coffee and had to put in a bucket of ice each day just to keep it cool, not cold unless I put it directly in the ice. For me they were a waste. I ended up keeping it out in the ice bucket so the room steward would keep the ice fresh through out the day

It helps a little if you keep the cabinet door open...the one the mini-fridge sits in. We've done this, but we had to tell the room steward what we were doing, because he kept closing it. We explained to him that it helped the air circulate better, thus making the cooler colder. :thumbsup2

We never really have a problem with the "cooling box". It is hit or miss by cabin though, from the various reports. I put in 2 bottles of wine and 6 bottles of water on our recent cruise and they were cold the next day and stayed cold the whole week.

These "cooling boxes" were originally mini-bars. I remember when we sailed on the MV of the Magic you could swipe your KTTW card and take out snacks and beverages...all for a charge of course. It did not go so well and they soon did away with the snacks and beverages for purchase.

Here is a pic in case anyone was wondering what they look like. But, on the Dream they will be real mini refrigerators so things should be nice and cold from the get go!

This pic is our cooling box from the Magic cabin 2564. You can see where the card swipe thingy is right above the box.

MJ

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter