Contemporary or Grand Floridian?

Stayed at both and I would have told you to choose the Grand Floridian. I stayed at the GF this summer. It's bigger than the Contemporary and takes a lot more time to get around, but it's a nicer resort in general, seems more "magical" to me. The only thing I feel I should warn you about is the odd "spa" smell near the exit of the main building that lets you out to the children's splash area (behind the main staircase). Or at least, my parents told me it was supposed to be a "spa" smell. It kinda made me sick so I avoided it. Anyway, be sure to get an ADR at 1900PF! It's right at the entrance of the hotel and it's wonderful :-) Have a fantastic trip!

Don't want to hijack someone else's thread, yet I'm at the same crossroad and was just going to make a post when I saw this. We are going in late October for 4 nights, spending time at MK (MNSSHP) and EP (F&W). We ALWAYS stay at EP resorts. Our last trip in May was at YC. I really want to do something different and thought GF or CR would be the way to go with decent access to both of the parks and a variety of restaurants (GF, CR, Poly). It's a couples trip, no kids and it's meant to be moderately relaxing. We just did all the parks on our last trip and we're looking forward to less rushing, a little pool time, and maybe even exploring off the beaten path to absorb the little details we miss when we're in park commando mode. I'd probably book tower lake/lagoon view regardless of the hotel. We like a picturesque view! Price difference is about $75 a night to the GF, however this doesn't bother us if we feel we've gotten our moneys worth at a great place. We've been to both of the resorts for meals, yet have never stayed. I truly think Poly would've been a great choice for us this trip...construction & the closed pool halted that idea pretty quickly. Your thoughts in helping me decide between the two are appreciated!!

For more relaxing, I recommend GF. It's gorgeous and "quieter" than the Contemporary (which is basically just one huge building where everyone's sound travels through). IMO, the grounds are prettier and the restaurants are better as well. GF is definitely the place for a couples trip. You'll love it :-)

For more relaxing, I recommend GF. It's gorgeous and "quieter" than the Contemporary (which is basically just one huge building where everyone's sound travels through). IMO, the grounds are prettier and the restaurants are better as well. GF is definitely the place for a couples trip. You'll love it :-)

Thank you so much for the response. I actually booked both (a girl likes to take her time deciding!), yet we're going with the GF. I'm super excited and feel so blessed to be able to stay there. I do still have the CR reservation...I'll need to cancel that.

We have stayed at both resorts; as a matter of fact, we stayed at both last week (Contemporary's Tower Club and the Grand Floridian Resort's Royal Palm Club).

The Contemporary is a walk away from the Magic Kingdom and the Grand Floridian Resort is only one monorail stop from the Magic Kingdom.

The Contemporary's main building elevators can get packed with folks at various times during the day and wait times can be long (we know: we were on the 14th floor); there are only five floors in the Grand Floridian's Main Building, a place which provides delightfully elegant music in the afternoon until almost 10 p.m., courtesy of the magnificent Grand Floridian Society Orchestra and a skillful pianist, who alternate sets.

The Grand Floridian Rooms are a bit better, especially its larger bathrooms.

The view from the 14th floor of the Contemporary is outstanding, especially during "Wishes."

The Grand Floridian Resport's Main Building offers the best club level food and beverages. Its lineup of first-rate Cast Members is impressive, especially chef John who handles the Royal Palm Club and Sugarloaf.

Our vote: the Grand Floridian Resort.

All the best. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter