Condo rental in San Diego

Bennettsmommy

Mouseketeer
Hello! We are planning a San Diego/Disney trip in November. We are thinking we may try to rent a beach front condo instead of getting a hotel. I thought it would be easier with two young kids (2 and 5). I was wondering what areas of San Diego we should be looking at. What beaches and areas are best for families? We would like to have a few places to eat within walking distance and we will be going to the safari park, sea world and the breeders cup. I'd love some recommendations so I can narrow down my search. Thanks!

I'd look at Del Mar, La Jolla, Point Loma or Mission Bay (ok, technically not the beach but has sand and water). Coronado is also great but high end. The areas where we have the most beachfront rentals however are Mission Beach and Pacific Beach - these have a very high concentration bars and a freshly just turned 21 drinking crowd - so I'm not sure how you feel about crowds and public drunkenness. Ocean Beach, which is the north end of Point Loma could also work - very close to Seaworld, lots of good places to eat, but can have pockets of funk with the headshops and marijuana dispensaries here and there (hey, it's legal). Of the recommendations above La Jolla will have the most dining options as well as a good supermarkets. You might not be on the beach per se, but it's a great village to walk around and the coast there is stunning (assuming you are not swimming as it will be freezing). Del Mar and La Jolla are also North of San Diego proper so it puts you closer to Safari Park and the racetrack (assuming that's where the Breeders' Cup will be). Sea World is a 15-30 minute drive depending on traffic from these areas. If you're not wedded to a beachfront condo the North Park area is very central and kid friendly - tons of places to eat and kid friendly breweries, lots of fun playgrounds and parks, it is also geographically central to everything. The zoo and major museums in Balboa Park is 5 minutes away by car and walkable from some neighborhoods, the beach at Coronado (which is my favorite beach) is 8 minutes away, Del Mar is 15-20 minutes away and Safari Park is 30-40 (all depending on traffic, of course). Have fun!

We've stayed at the Carlsbad Inn Beach Resort in a 1 bedroom. It's a timeshare, but they do rentals too. The back of the resort faces a small residential street, down some stairs gets you to the beach. Halfway down the stairs, the resort operates a little kiosk to checkout beach chairs, umbrellas, beach toys, etc (all complimentary I think though we only needed beach toys). There are lots of restaurants around. We went to the Mexican place right next door, so close it felt like part of the hotel.

We went to Safari Park that trip, I think the drive was maybe 40 minutes. It's out inland in Escondido, so not really near any other tourist attractions. Be warned it will feel a lot hotter there than when you're near the beach (we went in June). In November, it may be a little cold for the beach, just depends though.

thanks for the responses! I was a bit concerned about it being more of a party scene in mission beach but we are going during the week and not a typical time when schools out so hopefully it wouldn't be to bad. I'll check out la Jolla too! I love Coranado but it seems a bit pricier.

We have stayed in Imperial Beach at the Pier South, which is a hotel. The rates are decent, but it is further from San Diego.

It is literally on the sand, the beach has a pier, waves, and is enjoyable.

There is a great café across the street.

You can hear and see the waves from you balcony. Here was our room, it sleeps four:

Pier South Imperial Beach.JPG

I like Carlsbad. There are many vacation rentals right on the beach and shops/restaurants within walking distance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter