Complete: ANOTHER long weekend?! Labor Day Weekend Dining Report - last update Yak & Yeti and AK

Excellent reviews! I booked the sushi bar at Morimoto for my next trip and I can't wait! :D
I also really wanted to book the Keys to the Kingdom tour but my days are so full and $100+ is so much $$! Maybe next time.

Sunday, 9/4 continued: The Fountain, Tambu Lounge, Trader Sam's

First, apologies for the photos in this update. Most were taken on my phone and aren't great. We left off the last installment after lunch during our Keys to the Kingdom tour. Feeling well-fed, we hustled along to finish the tour which included some information about the Haunted Mansion and a back door entrance into the stretching room followed by our time experiencing the Utilidors.

8dnh5IPl.jpg

t4r0q9gl.jpg

Upon conclusion of our five hour tour (anyone else hearing the Gilligan's Island theme just about now?) we were pretty well exhausted. It had been muggy all morning but by the time our tour concluded it was also HOT and we finished outside in the walkway between Tomorrowland and Main Street that is sometimes open during busy nights. After baking in the Florida sun while we wrapped things up, our only option was to head to the buses and back to the Dolphin for a rest.

GDDHXOxl.jpg

Of course, the bus drops off only at the Swan while the Dolphin's bus stop was under construction, so we could not resist the lure of the Fountain for a snack. Plus we had that free ice cream coupon to use! Leslie exchanged it for a mint chocolate chip waffle cone. I ordered the Jumping for Joy, a seasonal shake based on Almond Joy candy. By the time my shake was made the mint chip cone was mostly gone, so no photo. Sorry about that.

4HEPH5sl.jpg

The Jumping for Joy was SO GOOD. It was chocolate and coconut ice cream with slivered almonds and shredded coconut mixed right into the shake, served with skewered almond joy candies on top. This was excellent though I would recommend ordering it without the coconut shreds and almond flakes since when I finished my shake I had about 1/4 of the cup remaining with just coconut and almonds that had sunk to the bottom of the shake. I loved watching them handmake the milkshakes and everything that came out of their take away window looked excellent.

We did actually have a nap this afternoon - we needed it after rising early for our breakfast! Afterward the weather had turned pretty foul - it was pouring buckets and neither of us really wanted to brave that in the parks. After considering our options, we decided to hit the monorail loop for entertainment and dinner. Plus, Leslie had revealed to me that in all our travels she had never been to

RN7XEuCl.jpg

I couldn't believe it! So of course a visit to Trader Sam's was definitely in order. We decided it wasn't worth the hassle to do the bus transfers in the rain, so once again we summoned our favorite mode of transport - the Uber! This ride took 13 minutes from the door of the Dolphin to the door of the Poly, and cost $7.09 in UberX. We stayed completely dry and I have to say Uber at Disney is worth every cent. Also, about 98% of the way into the ride I realized that I knew our Uber Driver from here on the Disboards! I felt a bit like a creep but it was also pretty cool running into another Dis-er in real life.

BfdhZUol.jpg

Upon arriving we went to check in at Trader Sam's and due to the downpour it was much busier than I'd seen it on past trips - we were given a pager and told that the wait was an hour. The host told me that our pager would not work upstairs in the Tambu lounge, but we decided to check out the Tambu anyway and figured we'd just head back downstairs with our drinks. The lounge was absolutely MOBBED with people - some waiting on Ohana tables and some just enjoying drinks at the bar. Eventually Leslie found an open spot at the bar and ordered us up a couple of beverages.

rrk8mNhl.jpg

Soon two seats opened and we settled in with two of these babies, not caring about our pager reception:

SALjuwDl.jpg

The backscratcher is my very favorite libation at Disney World, or probably anywhere, for that matter. This is bacardi rum, myer's dark rum, and passionfruit juice topped with jack daniels and garnished with a bamboo backscratcher (what else!). We were relaxed, enjoying conversation with the guests around us, and ready to order another round when miraculously our pager went off.

Upon our return to Trader Sam's, two seats were open at the bar, so we grabbed them.

sNY54GNl.jpg

I wound up with the "sinking" barstool (which was already down when we arrived, so there was no surprise but it did open up a lot of opportunity for puns for me). As soon as I ordered a drink, things were on the up and up :thumbsup2

e5XWYc9l.jpg

The Shrunken Zombie Head is Gosling’s 151 Black Seal Rum, Appleton Estate Reserve Rum, Bacardi 8 yr Rum, Tropical Juices, Falernum, and Cinnamon. Google tells me that Falernum is almond, ginger, and lime syrup. This is delicious and strong - my favorite of the drinks at Trader Sam's. I already have the mug so I passed on the souvenir option. Did I mention I love this drink?

CR4JSNNl.jpg

RZfaCydl.jpg

Leslie chose the Krakatoa Punch - Sailor Jerry Spiced Rum, Pyrat XO Reserve Rum, Orgeat (Almond), Sam’s Gorilla Grog, and Hibiscus Grenadine. She liked this very much. I also tasted it and liked it, but not as much as I like the Zombie.

LBoC8cyl.jpg

I love the antics in here! You can't really tell in this photo but one of the servers is DIVE DIVE DIVE-ing after a patron ordered a nautilus (I think). The other guests in Trader Sam's were pretty subdued on this evening so it wasn't as much fun as it has been in the past when both the CMs and the customers are really hamming it up. I love corny humor and this place is great - I don't visit every trip but I love coming here with folks who haven't experienced the cheesy humor yet.

16wo0Phl.jpg

We also ordered food, since the ice cream was wearing off by this point - we chose the Roasted Chicken and Pork Pâte Báhn Mì Sliders (comes with three, I'll let you guess what happened to the third one) and the Chicken Lettuce Cups with hoisin-ginger sauce

n9ifsLUl.jpg

I have had both of these before and neither is bad by any measure, but I also wouldn't go out of my way to eat at Trader Sam's. None of the dishes I've tried has been truly exceptional and, while it's better than peanuts, their "bar food" doesn't do as much for me as Tambu Lounge's offerings upstairs.

jxnEnsll.jpg

After a second round and having polished off the food, it was time to call it a night.

1YXrbytl.jpg

I love Trader Sam's and definitely recommend it for those who have not yet been. The drinks are very good and the food is okay, so to me this is more of a place to get a drink after dinner than a lounge to have a meal in. I would definitely go back, but probably not on my next trip.

OUlzJCFl.jpg

After a bit of shopping at the Poly, we took the monorail to the bus and spent our last (sob!) night in our Heavenly Beds.

Up Next: Snacks at Animal Kingdom and Yak & Yeti

So fun! Love the idea of using Uber to get around. KttK looks amazing, that is definitely on our list for when the boys are a bit older. Trader Sams and Tambu look great as well, more to do another trip! :)

Your review makes me even more excited to go to Trader Sam's on my next trip! I also need to remember to use Uber, it seems so much easier to get around!

Awesome start! That white pizza looks incredible and I love how you described the raspberry macaroon....perfect! Looking forward to reading more!

Well you were the inspiration for my order so I had to add something to the description! Haha.

That pizza looks delish!! I've never had the orange grand marnier slushy, but I've had the original and agree--it doesn't taste strong but you'll feel it a little bit!

I've had both of the year-round offerings and think I prefer the "La Vie En Rose" slush from Flower & Garden the best! It's just hard to beat something that is both pink and includes St. Germain. But hey, variety is the spice of life so I guess it's up to us to sample all of them :rotfl:

OMG so much looks good! First of all I've never tried the Grand Marnier slush because I always get the Grey Goose slush, but your description of it tasting like an orange ceamsiclemhas me thinking I might have to change it up next time :scratchin
And those 2 snacks :cloud9: Especially the coconut macaroon from SS since I'm a huge coconut fan. More things to add to my list for November!
Love the story about the couple picking their own seat in VN too. Do your research and follow everyone else people!

Oh yes, if you have not had the Grand Marnier version it's definitely worth trying. After looking at the F&W menus again today I have to say these Slush options offered year round are looking better and better.

It is weird seeing the Halloween/fall decor up so early, isn't it? In 2014 we did the first MNSSHP on Labor Day. It was about 110 degrees; we'd been in MK the day before with no decorations and then walked in for the party, dripping with sweat - and it's fall! LOL and up here in NY it is NEVER anywhere close to 110 degrees on Halloween nor when you see different colored leaves, so it totally threw me off!

Glad you enjoyed the tour. DH and I did it last year and enjoyed it, but lunch then was at CHH. Think I might prefer that as much as I love Casey's hot dog nuggets........and we did BOG PPO breakfast this past January. Like you we thought it was ok, and that was before the latest price hike so $19.99/meal, but wouldn't pay that much again. DH ordered a kids meal because he's not a breakfast eater and man, was it small lol!

In Atlanta it is always a roll of the dice as to whether Halloween will bring frosty early winter temps or you will sweat through your costume :scared: but it was still just bizarre to see all those pumpkins! Fortunately I had been in the craft stores many times prior to Magic Kingdom and I think they started putting out their fall stuff as soon as they took in Easter so I was prepared... LOL. Good idea on DH's part ordering the Kids meal at BOG - I am not much for breakfast that early so I should have done that. Now give me a brunch at 11:00 when my body is fully awake and hungry and I can do some damage to breakfast!

Excellent reviews! I booked the sushi bar at Morimoto for my next trip and I can't wait! :D
I also really wanted to book the Keys to the Kingdom tour but my days are so full and $100+ is so much $$! Maybe next time.
Oh Morimoto is so good! I know you are going to love it. Plus it's a great place to relax, eat slowly, enjoy the ambience. Can't wait to hear how you enjoy it! Our tour price was definitely not over $100. I think it was $80 each.

So fun! Love the idea of using Uber to get around. KttK looks amazing, that is definitely on our list for when the boys are a bit older. Trader Sams and Tambu look great as well, more to do another trip! :)
We mostly use the buses whenever possible but on a rainy night like that one, Uber was a lifesaver! (As well as for off hours and resort-to-resort trips). I am afraid I shouldn't have opened the door with KttK - I am now interested in all of the other tours too! My bank account... Not so much. But it was a nice treat for our mother/daughter weekend.

Your review makes me even more excited to go to Trader Sam's on my next trip! I also need to remember to use Uber, it seems so much easier to get around!
Hi Fallon! Thank you for stopping by - I am midway through your "Do I really have to eat dessert again" DR and loving it so I am so glad you said hello!! Trader Sam's is so fun. It's like the Jungle Cruise and the Tiki Room had a baby. A boozy baby. Haha!

Oh my god i need to get that zombie head cup
I KNOW RIGHT?! I have the zombie, the blue tiki guy (the Hippopotomaitai comes served in it), and after these three beverages on this most recent trip I sprang for the clear tiki glass from the regular Poly gift shop. I'm usually not much for souvenirs but the tiki mugs are an exception. It's hard to tell in this picture but I'm fairly certain the clear glass one is the same one they use for the "Lapu Lapu refill" upstairs at Tambu.

image.jpeg

Holy moly, that Jumping for Joy shake looks fantastic! I love anything with coconut. And chocolate. And ice cream........
Steve and I visited Trader Sam's in January when we stayed at the Poly and I'm glad we did; but we still enjoy Tambu better. I could have something to do with the food because we love the apps they have up there. But it can definitely be crazy noisy, not that Trader Sams can't but even when full you won't have tons of families waiting to eat at 'Ohana.

TS looks like a blast! I adore the location at DL and love all the antics and oh boy are the drinks strong.

Holy moly, that Jumping for Joy shake looks fantastic! I love anything with coconut. And chocolate. And ice cream........
Steve and I visited Trader Sam's in January when we stayed at the Poly and I'm glad we did; but we still enjoy Tambu better. I could have something to do with the food because we love the apps they have up there. But it can definitely be crazy noisy, not that Trader Sams can't but even when full you won't have tons of families waiting to eat at 'Ohana.

It's funny, we've always found Tambu crowded but never like we saw it this last time. I think it was because of the rain - the folks who might be at the pool bar or on the Trader Sams patio were all gathered in the Tambu Lounge. I think I hit the Tambu on nearly every visit so every once in a while I've got to pepper in some Trader Sam's corniness :thumbsup2 And YES that milkshake was AMAZING. It was seasonal, but so long as they have the coconut ice cream I'm sure you could get it.

TS looks like a blast! I adore the location at DL and love all the antics and oh boy are the drinks strong.

I can't wait to get out to DL so I can compare the two myself! :drinking1

Really enjoying your report!

Thank you Teresa! I'm enjoying writing it... alas, it's coming to a close :guilty: :idea: Guess I'll just have to go back to gather more writing material! only 3 days for me!!!

I mentioned at the outset that I have a Disney disease right? :sick: And the only cure is more cowbell Disney trips. So I am leaving on Wednesday night after work for my annual Food and Wine pilgrimage. I will be gathering more intel for the next report! Now, to close this one out before I start packing...

Monday, 9/5: Animal Kingdom snacks and (coming up next) Yak & Yeti

cD1yRrol.jpg

(above: our view from the Dolphin on the lone morning we did not have condensation obscuring the view)

We woke on our final day and undertook that awful practice of packing. I always get sad leaving Disney World no matter how soon I'll be returning. We ate some of our pastries from Be Our Guest that we'd taken with us the previous morning while we packed and got ready for the day. Once suitcases were loaded into the car, we headed to my favorite park: Animal Kingdom!

NpaEMURl.jpg

VB4cVuLl.jpg

We stopped for some Tree of Life photos and then headed back to Africa. Our first FastPass was for the safari so we didn't want to stray too far. Not surprisingly, the pastries did not stick with us long and we were ready for a snack. It was midmorning by this point so it was totally an appropriate time for an adult beverage!

oWUijS9l.jpg

XOvywRql.jpg

Leslie hit the Dawa Bar for one of their signature bloody marys. I am not sure which one she selected since we split up but I tried it and it was very good.

ose5qxel.jpg

Meanwhile, I went over to Tamu Tamu refreshments for a dole whip with dark rum or, as my friends on the WDW Today podcast call it, an "adult whip". Can you really go wrong with rum and pineapple soft serve? Personally I don't think so, and I don't feel right about visiting Walt Disney World without enjoying a Dole Whip, so this was an important treat on many levels!

6jXCdTjl.jpg

Now, as you may have noticed, these are not snacks (well okay I guess you could classify the Dole Whip as a snack). Still hungry, we ventured forth on the path from Africa to Asia in search of additional sustenance. There was some cool streetmosphere along the way, which we (and lots of children) enjoyed.

We found some of the snack kiosks open and I'd been longing to try these offerings, but we always seem to pass them when either the kiosks are closed or I've just eaten something else. So we were excited to finally try Mr. Kamal's.

aQpSkEyl.jpg

We had to wait a few minutes for our food while they finished frying up a fresh batch of samosas with mango salsa ($5.99). These were really good - I am a sucker for samosas of any variety, but these had a nice spice in the filling mixture - not hot spicy, but a depth of flavor. They were super hot and fresh and crisp since they were frying as we waited. I was not in the mood for the mango sauce but Leslie liked it.

yhGFsnzl.jpg

I'd also wanted to try the falafel with tzatziki ($4.99) and I was so glad we did! My mom was afraid she wouldn't like these as I guess she's had some bland falafel in the past, but these had a great flavor and were really great dipped in the tzatziki.

Both items were great for sharing, since as you can see, the portion consisted of quite a few smaller samosas and balls of falafel. After finishing up our snacks, it was time to use our Kilimanjaro Safaris fastpass!

a0QA1ubl.jpg

All in all, this was not our best safari. Mid-morning seems to be a sluggish time for the animals and it was very hot and humid this day. To add insult to injury, animals blocked the trail ahead of us (but not in our view) so we waited for the path to clear in a spot near the lion habitat where there wasn't much happening. The redeeming part of this ride was that once we got moving again the rhinos got so close to our truck! And then eventually crossed in front of us. That was a cool experience I'd not had before.

Aux3VeNl.jpg

Upon our return to civilization, we headed over to join an expedition to find the elusive Yeti and soon there were additional growls besides the mythical Everest inhabitant.

Next up: Yak n Yeti and we say goodbye to Walt Disney World.

Monday 9/5 Continued:

As I spend more time visiting Walt Disney World, especially on shorter trips, I am making fewer ADRs. I find the cancellation policy dictates our touring on days we have ADRs and when I'm on a shorter trip I want to be more flexible so that I can experience as much as possible while at WDW.

We knew we'd want to eat at Yak and Yeti while we were at Animal Kingdom, but I wasn't sure what time we'd make it there for lunch. I joined the Landry's Select club during a previous visit to Yak and Yeti, and I knew one of its privileges was priority seating -- even for walk-ups. It was probably 1:30 or so by the time we made it to Yak and Yeti for lunch, and the overcast weather was once again threatening rain. I checked in at the podium and mentioned my Landry's Select status and we were seated in about 10 minutes.

Our server was the fabulous Bianca, and we were seated on the second level of the restaurant near the stairs - which is sort of funny since that little strip of three 4-person tables is the only 3 tables we've ever been seated at. Anyhow, when we were greeted by the server she asked us for the Landry's card and noticed my birthday button, so we talked about the birthday reward. Well, when I registered the card, I was told I could input my actual birthday or any other important date, so I'd picked Leslie's birthday as I thought it likely we might return in May. May came and went and the $25 birthday reward went unused, but no biggie. Shame on me for picking the wrong month.

Anyway, we were pretty hot and tired so we decided to start the meal with refreshing beverages. We both chose the Rickshaw Rickie ($9.99), which is Skyy Vodka, Cointreau, Muddled Oranges and Limes, and Sprite.

apBKBpdl.jpg

These were just what we'd wanted and I think the Rickshaw Rickie is pretty much the perfect theme park libation - light and lightly sweet, bubbly and refreshing with a nice citrus flavor. These definitely pepped us back up.

DOuOI2Bl.jpg

I was feeling "fried things" so I ordered the Pork Egg Rolls served with chili plum dipping sauce as an appetizer. They were $9.49, and came in an order of three. That was a large portion as these were quite large for egg rolls. There was actually a lot of pork in these as I'd seen previously reviewed here on the boards (Thanks Kari! @kastoney) and they did not disappoint. I ate a whole one and then tried to exercise restraint so I could enjoy my entree.

zQvYPc2l.jpg

I opted for the Kobe Beef Burger ($19.99) which is a 10 oz. grilled American Kobe beef burger, sesame-soy mayonnaise, and crispy shoestring fries. Topped with choice of shiitake mushrooms and scallion compote or Asian slaw. Upon Bianca's recommendation I went with the mushrooms. I'd had this burger before and I will probably have it again every time I come back to Y&Y - that mayonnaise along with the high quality beef really makes this a star burger.

uLF8Jswl.jpg

The fries are also awesomely good - crispy and salty and everything you could want if you are in the mood for "fried things". The pickles that you can see in the background of these photos are also really great - lightly pickled and very fresh.

VKWfD2il.jpg

Leslie chose our other favorite - the Ahi Tuna Nachos Sushi grade ahi, Asian slaw, crispy fried wontons, wasabi aioli, sweet soy glaze ($14.99). These are so good and a GIANT portion. Served on fried noodles rather than tortilla chips, it is easy to eat quite a lot of these and we both enjoyed them as usual.

WxAzHzNl.jpg

I saved half my burger so that I could enjoy one of my favorite WDW desserts:

7a6FFi1l.jpg

Fried Wontons are skewers of fresh pineapple and cream cheese wontons, vanilla ice cream, honey-vanilla drizzle ($8.99). These are like cheesecake wontons (sort of) and that vanilla sauce on the pineapple evokes a pineapple upside down cake flavor. My mouth is literally watering right now. Gosh that dessert is just SO good. Think I may have to stop at Y&Y next weekend even if just for a drink and that dessert.

Somewhere along the way through the course of our meal, the manager came to our table to return our Landry's card and thank us for being members. We talked for a few minutes about my mouse ears and my etsy shop, she told us about her daughter and we just generally enjoyed the conversation as she was so pleasant and cheerful. Well when the bill came, my jaw dropped. The manager had hooked us up with some major pixie dust pixiedust:- on top of our $25 welcome reward on our account she added the birthday credit (even though I had registered it to May, not August) and gave us a cast member 20% discount. So the bill pre-tax came to $41.62, or approximately the price of our drinks (we both ended up having two of the yummy Rickies, so four each at $9.99 would have been close to $40). Major major pixie dust that really helped us end the trip on a high note! :cloud9:

Yak and Yeti continues to deliver consistently delicious meals and top notch service, reasonable prices, and a welcome respite from the AK heat and humidity. I would never expect such great meals from a Landry's chain, but it just goes to show you cannot judge a meal based on your expecations.

It was time to work our way out of the park and head back north, but I noticed we had an anytime FP+ from the previous day remaining so I used it to meet my favorite mouse:

n0kWLpCl.jpg

And we bid farewell to the Animal Kingdom, to Walt Disney World, and to Florida. For now.

gSfycXvl.jpg

To finish up this bad boy, I will copy some of my other favorite reviews and hand out some superlatives:

Best snack: Corn dog nuggets, despite being eaten as a meal this trip. I would get them as a snack (to share!) on my next trip!
Q0csuQ1l.jpg

Best drink: Zombie, from Trader Sam's
e5XWYc9l.jpg

Weirdest meal: from the Sangria in the beer pitcher, to the tackiness of asking ahead about discounts, to the soggy chickpea patty, and all the way to a couple commandeering their own table, Via Napoli takes the cake for this one
atD2IH6l.jpg

Worst dish: the aforementioned Salad de Ceci with the greasy chickpea "fritter"
fnnMFGXl.jpg

Best dish: Morimoto's Ribs! Can't wait to get these again
KJtaiGDl.jpg

Best dessert/sweet item: wontons from Yak & Yeti
7a6FFi1l.jpg

Best meal: Morimoto Asia Forbidden Lounge
14ytoj4l.jpg

I could not be more surprised that this was my favorite, but it was truly great and I can't wait to return.

Thank you all for reading along and for the encouraging comments! See you next time :flower3:

Thanks for an awesome report. The bloody mary at the Dawa Bar looks amazing. Yak & Yeti never disappoints for us and am so glad your meal was good. Those nachos look like something I need to give a try one of these days. The fried won tons continue to be one of the best desserts I have ever tasted.

Hi Melinda! I joined in just in time for the end :-) We were in Epcot the same day as you (9/3). That was our last day of our trip. Wish we knew you were there, we were likely around UK/France just about the same time.

Looks like you and your Mom had some great food. Morimoto looks amazing!!!!!! We hoped to try it on our trip but the Hurricane thwarted our plans. And so glad you enjoyed the egg rolls at Yak n Yeti. Jason overruled me for Tusker House instead of Yak n Yeti so sadly I missed them!

Awesome end to your report! Love Yak'n'Yeti too and love how you started the day off right! I am SO jealous you are heading back so soon.... really wish I was only a 6 hour drive instead of a three hour flight away. Oh well! Must hunt for flight discounts as that annual pass is tempting!

First of all - I'm so jealous you get to go back again so soon! If only I didn't live 4500km away...

Hi Fallon! Thank you for stopping by - I am midway through your "Do I really have to eat dessert again" DR and loving it so I am so glad you said hello!! Trader Sam's is so fun. It's like the Jungle Cruise and the Tiki Room had a baby. A boozy baby. Haha!

Thank you for reading my dining report, that means so much! I love your dining reviews!

I love that description of Trader Sam's! I look forward to meeting that boozy baby in January :)

We ate some of our pastries from Be Our Guest that we'd taken with us the previous morning

I thought about doing this on our last trip, and then forgot to bring baggies. It's on my list for our next trip, it seems like such a waste to just leave them since we barely touched those pastries while we were there.

ose5qxel.jpg

Meanwhile, I went over to Tamu Tamu refreshments for a dole whip with dark rum

This looks so pretty! My boyfriend had the one with coconut rum, and it was so good, but it wasn't this pretty to look at haha.

Another great report! And I too am jealous you're already heading back :snooty: Have a great time!
We're eating at Yak and Yeti in Nov., haven't been in a couple years so we're looking forward to it :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter