Come On, Drink the Fart! DIS Mega Meet July 2016 TR *NEW TR LINK 2/5

Wow awesome pictures your husband was able to get, love it. I have been enjoying your reports and went back to read some of your others, your children are so cute! We stayed at CR in September of 2015 and really enjoyed it. The dessert party looked really nice, glad you liked it. I have never done one of those so nice to see a review of a Wishes one, most are from DHS.

First the mom wouldn’t stop talking, then the dad actually tells her, “You don’t have to keep talking, you can just enjoy the ride.” Then he proceeded to start doing the exact same thing!
Sounds like the dad should have taken his own advice! I would have found that incredibly annoying too.

It was that perfect time of the evening when the sun is starting to set and there’s a gorgeous glow around Cinderella Castle. So of course, we needed some photos!
I love that time of the evening. Unfortunately my photography skills are sorely lacking so I can never capture it in pictures that same.

On our first pass, I think we grabbed one of pretty much everything!!
I would have! I have a sweet tooth and could easily gotten my money's worth there. I have not done this dessert party but I really need to consider it.

I have to say, I totally loved the dessert party! The desserts were really good, and I enjoyed watching the nighttime shows from the garden area. It was SO nice to have room to breathe, to sit down and spread out and enjoy instead of being packed in like sardines on Main Street with the rest of humanity. I don’t think DH enjoyed the garden viewing part so much, only because he didn’t love his choices for tripod setup and photographing the fireworks.
It sounds fantastic. I just wish they wouldn't keep jacking up the price so much. Like I said, I could probably get my money's worth out of it, but it would be a bit expensive for a family of four and I'm not sure it's worth it. My oldest DD is Type 1 diabetic, so obviously that limits what she can eat, and my youngest DD would probably just pick at a few things, since she likes dessert but is not that adventurous with eating different things. Give her a chocolate chip cookie and she's happy. Probably something to save for an adults only trip, if I do one.

Those are fantastic pictures of the fireworks, lamppost or not! He's got some skill with a camera!

By the way, I actually connected with your husband last week! I didn't realize he was in the DISDads Club too. I replied to a comment he put on a post on the DIDDads Facebook page. I recognized his profile picture from your trip reports. I love how small the world of the DIS can be!

What a fun night! Good to get a positive report on the dessert party. Might be worth the money to have the uncrowded viewing spot. Wonderful nighttime photos! Glad you got another shot at Pirates without the talking family. Some people just don't realize (or care) when they're being rude to those around them. Today I booked a trip for early Dec. 2017 - I know it's ridiculously early to book but I'm excited :cool1:Staying at POFQ.

This ended up being the most annoying ride in Pirates history! The group of people behind us WOULD. NOT. STOP. TALKING. Not even whispering, talking in a normal tone of voice and narrating the entire ride to each other. First the mom wouldn’t stop talking, then the dad actually tells her, “You don’t have to keep talking, you can just enjoy the ride.” Then he proceeded to start doing the exact same thing!
I'd have been tempted to start talking but I'd make things up or do it in some kind of an alternate narrative, just to mess with them.

Unfortunately when we tried to do just that, the CM now working there said we did need to wait in line. So that was kind of silly because once we got up to the podium again they waved us up the ramp to the upper part of the restaurant since we already had our wristbands.
Sounds like the CM maybe didn't understand what was going on? It's always unfortunate to be given conflicting information by 2 different CMs.

So everyone had room to spread out! DH was annoyed with his choices for setting up the tripod, which were limited so as to not be in anyone else’s way, but eventually he settled for somewhere while I chose to sit down and relax.
What? Wait... so you had enough room that you could sit down and see the castle show and fireworks? That would almost make it worth the price of admission for that alone!

We hurried through the line and actually encountered another CM walking down through the queue to make sure it was clear. We were the very last ones on the very last boat of the night!
Awesome! That makes up for the annoying ride you had earlier!

I'm glad that you were able to enjoy some time after the park closed and see the Kiss Goodnight. And, as always, Dustin got some nice pictures.

I have to agree that all the desserts on your plate looked delicious.

Your husband does such a wonderful job taking the pictures. They look awesome.

I've heard about the Kiss Goodnight but have never stayed for it. Maybe next time.

This ended up being the most annoying ride in Pirates history! The group of people behind us WOULD. NOT. STOP. TALKING. Not even whispering, talking in a normal tone of voice and narrating the entire ride to each other. First the mom wouldn’t stop talking, then the dad actually tells her, “You don’t have to keep talking, you can just enjoy the ride.” Then he proceeded to start doing the exact same thing! “Hey, they’re drowning that guy…Look, there’s Captain Jack Sparrow.” I seriously couldn’t wait to get off that boat. It’s like people talking all during a movie! Now you can enjoy some photos of the ride without all of the annoying chatter.
Wow, super annoying! :sad2:

To be fair, my plate is so loaded down because I was sharing with Lightning, obviously!
:rotfl: Well, he probably had to fuel up. :duck:

It started right at midnight! If you don’t know what this is, check it out on YouTube, or better yet, stay after park closing on your next trip and see it for yourself. It’s a perfect way to end a night in MK! Basically they twinkle the lights on Cinderella Castle and play their closing announcement for the day.
Yay, I'm so glad you got to see it. I remember you messaging me about the timing of when I saw it. Glad it worked out.

As always, beautiful pictures. :thumbsup2

WOW, what a wonderful MK evening!! the few rides before the party with no wait looked great (minus the annoying group lol) and the dessert party sounds really nice - actually better than the pre-reserved one? Seems like it was less crowded in your area, which is so nice. And his view still looked amazing to me, his photos are breathtaking. How wonderful to NOT need to get out of the park due to bedtimes and such, and instead get on a couple more rides then leave in an empty park! Gorgeous!

I am still so happy for you that you got into the Connecting with Walt meet (and a bit jealous). Also glad that we got to say high, even if briefly. It's nice to meet someone in person that you have interacted with online for a while

It sounds like such a fun event - even if not scheduled for the optimal time. I love hearing about all the details within Walt Disney World / Disneyland - so to see them pointed out directly by Micheal must have been amazing. Love that you went on the Carousel of Progress as well - did Micheal talk during the ride or just let everyone sit down/cool down and take it all in and then talk after? Cool that you got to ride with Micheal on the People Mover and great group pictures at the end!

Side note, since I saw in your comment back to Imagineer5 about being able to get FP for FAE .... we stayed off site last July and we were able to get FP for FAE at the 30 day mark - it was only for later in the day (~4:30) and I booked them right at 7am EST but we were able to get them. I agree, it's a nice ride but no way would I wait 2 hours for it or anything

That's great you decided to do the dessert party - such a fun capper to the day! We did it once several years ago before they modified it (and increased the price). I really liked it but wasn't sure if it was worth the new, larger price tag - but it seems like you got more for you money (we didn't get sparkling cider or ice cream as an option) and we didn't have the option of the garden view, only the Tomorrowland Terrace

Clearly, it wasn’t a perfect spot because of those light poles, so DH was a bit frustrated. But I tried to convince him to go with the flow. It’s not like he’s never taken photos of Celebrate the Magic and Wishes before!
... Stop being logical!!! ;)

Though, I will point out that next trip it will be the new Once Upon a Time show so he will be justified in wanting a good spot for that one :thumbsup2

Seems like a nice evening and I love wandering through a nearly empty Disney park at night! Glad you got to see the Kiss Goodnight!

What an annoying ride on Pirates! I hate when that happens.

Beautiful castle pics, I always love that time of day too.

The desserts look yummy, I'm glad they tasted just as good!

Those poles can be annoying, but DH still got awesome pictures! It's great that the area wasn't too crowded. I'm glad it was worth doing the dessert party!

How cool to be the last ones let in on Pirates! Glad you got to have a re-do of the ride!

DH's nighttime shots are so stunning. With no one in the shots they look like they could be stock photos! Awesome work!

Day 0: Thursday July 21st

This will be a text heavy update because we just didn't have time for pictures, but it's some background on what we had going on leading up to this trip!

As has become typical fashion before our trips, we didn’t have the easiest time leading up to our departure! DD started running fever and had to be sent home from daycare Tuesday which meant I had to scramble to find a sitter for Wednesday so I could still go to work. This had happened the week before, but she had seen the pediatrician who didn’t see anything and said it might just be teething. So this time, I was going to forgo a doctor’s visit if she didn’t keep running fever. She spiked a couple more times, and in the meantime, DS complained Wednesday night that his ear hurt and when I looked, I saw thick green drainage coming from his left ear. That’s never good. So I knew he was going to the doctor the next day to have that checked out, and figured DD might as well get checked out too since I was about to be leaving them with my parents for several days.

Thursday was departure day, but I was still working a half day. DH took off and was keeping the kids home anyway. I called to get them an appointment and the only time the doctor could see them was 11:50. We knew it would put us behind what time we wanted to leave, but that’s all we could do. I met them at the pediatrician's office when I got off of work, and we found out DD had an ear infection and DS’s eardrum had ruptured. 10 days of antibiotics for them both and 7 days of ear drops for DS, plus no swimming for him for 2 weeks which he was devastated about. DH took him home once his checkup was complete so they could start loading the car, while I stayed with DD for her checkup and had to stop at the pharmacy on the way home to pick up their medications.

Once we all reconvened at home and each kid had gotten a dose of antibiotic, I changed out of my work clothes and fed DD. We finally left the house at 2:35 pm for the 2 hour drive to my parents’ house. DS was pretty miserable because he didn’t have his iPad for the drive (he had left it at my mom’s house the week before when he had visited), and towards the end he started getting squirmy and saying he wanted to get out of the car RIGHT NOW. As I was fussing him a little bit and telling him we only had a short time left, he looked at me and said, “My stomach hurts.” Oh no. I barely had time to grab him a plastic shopping bag I had stuffed somewhere before he puked. A lot. Most of it didn’t end up in the bag. :-/ Thankfully we were close to my mom’s. I guess the antibiotic given on a mostly empty stomach before a long car ride wasn't the best idea!

We got there and she had a bath all ready for him. While she bathed him, we unloaded all of their stuff from the car and went over their schedules with her. DS had a little bit of a meltdown when I realized we had forgotten to get his toy Everest (from Paw Patrol) from home to bring with us. I had been talking to him a lot leading up to this trip about how DH and I could try to do something fun so DS wouldn’t miss being in Disney World so much, and we had decided I would bring his little toy dog with us and take pictures of her all around Disney World to send to him. He burst into tears when I said we had forgotten her, and DH and my mom were like, “Why did you even mention it?!?” But I still wanted to do something, even if we had forgotten the dog! So we looked around the toys my mom had at her house and decided we could bring his little Lightning McQueen instead. Crisis averted. Lightning was coming along on our adventure instead.

I fed DD one more time and DH and I left at 5:40 pm. We got some food before getting on the interstate and then we were on our way. We knocked out most of the drive that night, only stopping twice more. Once at a rest area where DH and a couple other girls were all playing Pokemon Go, and a second time for gas. We arrived at the hotel we had booked in Lake City at 2 am Florida time and went straight to bed.

Day 1: Friday July 22nd

Friday morning, we weren’t in too much of a rush because we knew we didn’t have much driving ahead of us. We got up at 8:30, took showers, and got dressed. It was about 10:15 am when we left. There was a Chick Fil A in the parking lot of the hotel, which we later realized was the same Chick Fil A we stopped at when we drove to Disney in May! So we decided to stop there first for a hearty breakfast before hitting the road since we probably wouldn’t be stopping for lunch.

It took a little while to get our chicken biscuits, but we had an interesting conversation with the girl checking us out. She asked where we were from, and we said New Orleans, to which she replied, “Oh yeah! … Where is that again? I want to say Louisiana, right?” Stay in school, people.

It was about 10:30 when we had our food and hit the road for our final stretch of driving, which would be about 2.5 hours. As we got closer to Disney property, we came upon a point where we could either follow our Google directions or our GPS. We ended up choosing the Google directions, which was the wrong choice! I had been so looking forward to going under first the Disney World arches, and then the MK gates to get to our hotel. I had Lightning McQueen up on the dashboard waiting to take his picture with the gates…and we totally bypassed it. We ended up coming in the back of property by Disney University and got to the Contemporary from the other side. I was so disappointed! But I was still excited to be there. DH thought it was cool to pass so close to Space Mountain coming from this way.

Untitled
by disneymom1024, on Flickr

Untitled

Untitled

We unloaded our stuff, then DH went to park the car so we could go inside and check in. It was about 1 pm at this point, and they said our room was not ready but we would receive a text when it was. We left our bags with bell services and went upstairs to the Contempo Café to grab a cup of water to take with us before going over to the monorail station. We wanted to go to MK to catch a bus to the Boardwalk to check in for the Mega Meet. We had talked about the walkway, but we knew we would probably just do that when we were actually going to MK, so we thought taking the long way by going the monorail loop would be fun.

Untitled

Untitled

We got on the monorail and settled in for the loop around. Just as we arrived at MK, I get a text that our room is ready. Of course it is! So we had a moment where we stopped to decide what to do…should we go back to the Contemporary and unpack in the room, or keep going?

We decided to just keep going.

So after exiting the monorail there (and realizing how damn close the bus stop is to the Contemporary and that walking would have been SO much quicker), we hopped on a bus to the Boardwalk. The silent auction was happening in one of the convention rooms, so we headed there first and ran into Mike from our Viva Italia trip in the hall, so we stopped to chat with him for a few minutes. Then we went over to the convention room and met Tom Bell (host of the Disneyland show) first because he was giving out the credentials out front. Once inside the room, we immediately saw Jeff & Val, also from our Viva Italia trip, and stopped to talk with them first, then got a chance to tell Kevin & John (from the podcast) hi and catch them up on how we have been since Italy. It was fun seeing so many Viva friends!

We had a couple of items for the auction, so we went over to give those to Kathy (from the podcast) & her daughter Katie, then checked out some of the other items. They had some pretty neat stuff available for bidding! Our items went for about $150, so that was pretty cool. We had donated a set of the Passholder prints from Flower & Garden, and also 2 framed Disney postage stamp sets that we have been trying to sell at garage sales for years and couldn’t even get $5 for!

While there, we also got to meet Michael Bowling of the Disneyland show & Connecting With Walt, and his wife Carol. They are both SO sweet! It was nice to meet them now and spend some time talking with them since we were doing the Connecting With Walt meet up later on in the weekend.

After hanging out awhile there, we decided to go check out the Boardwalk area since we have never been there before, and make our way over to Beaches & Cream to see if they could take us any earlier than our 5 pm reservation.

July 01-001
There’s Michael’s head down at the bottom right corner. Lol He had walked over with us, chatting along the way with us.

July 01-002

July 01-003

July 01-004

July 01-005
We took a peek inside the Boardwalk Bakery and some of the stuff was sooooo tempting, but we were about to gorge ourselves on ice cream, so we stayed strong and didn’t pick anything up.

After a leisurely walk taking pictures and trying to stay in the shade as much as possible, we arrived at the Beach Club!

We made it to Beaches & Cream a little after 3 pm and asked if we would be able to get in early for our ADR. The CM outside said they were running right on time, so we probably couldn’t get a table earlier. But she did say there would be spots at the bar if we didn’t mind that instead, and it would only be about 20 minutes, so we decided to do that instead. There were a few seats outside available, so we grabbed a couple of them and waited. We were entertained by the lifeguards coming out to the pool and dancing for the guests while we waited!

It was pretty close to the 20 minutes quoted to us by the CM when I got a text that our seats at the bar were ready, so we went back to check in. And just in time, as it started pouring down rain as soon as we went inside!

I have always read on message boards and FB groups that this place is small, but I was not mentally prepared for how TINY it is on the inside!! How we were able to find a reservation for this place not once, but twice (we had originally booked it earlier in the day, then moved it later) is amazing and kind of mind blowing.

We grabbed our seats at the bar, and our server came to take our order shortly after. We had decided early on to split a meal and get our own desserts, so we ordered the burger & fries to share. Then we got to watch them make all of the desserts while we waited for our food to be ready, including many, many Kitchen Sink sundaes.

We even had a few minutes to FaceTime with DS while we were waiting for our food, and he got to see the lights go off and the red lights start flashing when someone ordered a Kitchen Sink. He got a real kick out of that! Soon enough, our burger & fries came, already split for us onto 2 plates.

July 01-016

Then we ordered the most important part of the meal…dessert!! I ordered the No Way Jose (A Peanut Butter and Hot Fudge delight featuring Chocolate and Vanilla Ice Cream, Peanut Butter and Chocolate Morsels, Whipped Cream, and a Cherry) and DH ordered the Fudge Mudslide (A gooey, chewy Brownie covered with Hot Fudge, Three Scoops of Vanilla Ice Cream, Oreos, Whipped Cream and a Cherry). We even got to watch them being made!

Our server insisted on taking one of both of us with our desserts.

Untitled

Then we dug in! And let me tell you, these sundaes were totally worth the wait. We had wanted to try this place for a long time, but never made the time to get over to the Beach Club to do so. We figured it would be perfect to do this trip with no kids, which would be a lot easier than having them along with us.

I made sure to get a photo of Lightning after he helped us enjoy our desserts.

Untitled

We decided that although both desserts were delicious, we absolutely could have (and should have!) shared one. It’s so much ice cream!! But it was a fun splurge. One more photo on the way out. This is pretty much the whole restaurant!

July 01-020
The plan had been to go straight to DHS from there, but we wanted to go back to the Contemporary and get our stuff settled in the room first since we were planning on it being a late night. After a detour through the Beach Club lobby, we went outside to the bus stop. Luckily, the rain had stopped, but all of the benches at the bus stop were soaking wet so no sitting while waiting for the bus.

July 01-021

This was our first experience with the new screens they had up to let you know when the next bus to each destination would be coming. We found it wasn’t really helpful, as it would just keep changing. Like if it said an MK bus would be there at 5:08 pm, once it got to 5:08 and no bus had arrived, it would change to 5:15.

July 01-022

We took the bus to MK, then tried out the walkway over to the Contemporary. It’s SUCH a short walk to get there!

July 01-023

In no time, we were arriving back at the Contemporary and getting our luggage from bell services.

July 01-024
We were on the second floor of the Garden Tower. There was a single elevator right as we entered the building, but we learned quickly to just take the stairs because it was much quicker! But for now, with all our stuff, we took the elevator. We were right next to all of the big suites that had multiple entrances.

July 01-025

We were amazed at the size of the room! It seemed huge compared to other Disney resorts, even other deluxes, we have stayed at. I guess because it was one of the originals back when rooms used to be larger. We would have easily had space for all 4 of us including the Pack & Play and double stroller had we brought the kids with us. The only thing that I thought was kind of a miss were the sinks. They were large but not really functional as water didn’t rinse or drain like a normal shaped sink would.

Going back to the room ended up being a great idea anyway because it ended up raining the whole time we were there!

After unpacking as much as we had planned on unpacking (mainly just toiletries!) and freshening up, we went down to the bus stop to catch a bus to DHS for evening EMH! We had been hoping to take part in more late night EMH while we were there with no kids, but this was the only night that had them, which was a bummer. On the plus side, it had stopped raining and didn’t rain again for the rest of the evening.

It was shaping up to be a great night at DHS!

UP NEXT: Extra Magic Hours
What an amazingly detailed trip report.

Your photography is amazing, some of those pictures look like they should be included in a Disney brochure! :tinker: Very Impressive!

I can't wait to read your other entries!

I was way behind on your report. Yikes, sorry about that! But I'm all caught up now.

The Connecting with Walt meet sounds like it was really interesting. I'll admit, I love when Michael is on the podcast shows, but I tried listening to CwW on a drive to Frankfurt and was kind of bored. I'll give it another shot, but I imagine hearing Michael talk about the history in person is way more interesting. Especially when it covers the window signage. I love seeing what new names I can find on each trip.

But, man....3 o'clock in the Magic Kingdom in July. That is the hottest, busiest time of the year! (At least on Christmas day it's in the 70s/80s.)
I don't blame you for wanting to go back to your room and change.

Those desserts at the party look delicious. I'm glad you guys decided to splurge and do the event. When it comes to kid-free trips, you sort of have to indulge a little. You certainly earned it!

That's pretty cool that you basically had Pirates to yourselves. Although, also had to be a little weird, getting ushered through the queue because it was closed.

Great photos, as always. The empty Adventureland shot is my favorite. Makes me miss those summer nights at the MK when the sun is gone and it's possible to enjoy the park.

Wow awesome pictures your husband was able to get, love it. I have been enjoying your reports and went back to read some of your others, your children are so cute! We stayed at CR in September of 2015 and really enjoyed it. The dessert party looked really nice, glad you liked it. I have never done one of those so nice to see a review of a Wishes one, most are from DHS.

Thank you so much!!

We really really loved our stay at the Contemporary. We never imagined we would actually end up staying there ever, because it's normally out of our price range. So thankful for those room discounts the DIS was able to offer for giving us the chance to stay there!!

Same here, I hadn't ever read a review of the Wishes dessert parties either. It was a fun splurge!

Sounds like the dad should have taken his own advice! I would have found that incredibly annoying too.

I know!! I couldn't believe he told his wife and kid something about talking too much, then proceeded to talk the entire rest of the ride. Makes no sense.

I love that time of the evening. Unfortunately my photography skills are sorely lacking so I can never capture it in pictures that same.

It's the best time to be in MK, I think. Everything is so pretty in the setting sun!

I would have! I have a sweet tooth and could easily gotten my money's worth there. I have not done this dessert party but I really need to consider it.

It's really great, and the plaza viewing can be booked in advance now, and at a lower price than the terrace viewing. I think that's a steal, considering the garden seating area offers a much better view than the terrace, in my opinion.

It sounds fantastic. I just wish they wouldn't keep jacking up the price so much. Like I said, I could probably get my money's worth out of it, but it would be a bit expensive for a family of four and I'm not sure it's worth it. My oldest DD is Type 1 diabetic, so obviously that limits what she can eat, and my youngest DD would probably just pick at a few things, since she likes dessert but is not that adventurous with eating different things. Give her a chocolate chip cookie and she's happy. Probably something to save for an adults only trip, if I do one.

Yeah, I doubt we'd do it with kids unless they were older because there's no way they'd eat even a fraction of what we'd pay for them. Great splurge for an adults only trip, though!!

Those are fantastic pictures of the fireworks, lamppost or not! He's got some skill with a camera!

Thank you! He has been working on getting better at photography, and I don't think he will ever think he has perfected it!

By the way, I actually connected with your husband last week! I didn't realize he was in the DISDads Club too. I replied to a comment he put on a post on the DIDDads Facebook page. I recognized his profile picture from your trip reports. I love how small the world of the DIS can be!

Yes, he told me! I know wives are not supposed to know the goings-on of the DIS Dads, but he did let me know that little tidbit. lol Someone on a different Disney FB page recognized us from a photo I posted from my TRs too. Small world indeed!

What a fun night! Good to get a positive report on the dessert party. Might be worth the money to have the uncrowded viewing spot. Wonderful nighttime photos! Glad you got another shot at Pirates without the talking family. Some people just don't realize (or care) when they're being rude to those around them. Today I booked a trip for early Dec. 2017 - I know it's ridiculously early to book but I'm excited :cool1:Staying at POFQ.

It was sooooo nice to spread out on the grass and enjoy the fireworks without being squeezed in on Main Street like sardines.

Our second round on Pirates was much more enjoyable without the narrating family! lol

Yay for your upcoming trip!! We did POFQ for our honeymoon and we LOVED it. It's a beautiful resort, and we loved how small it was.

I'd have been tempted to start talking but I'd make things up or do it in some kind of an alternate narrative, just to mess with them.

That would have been more entertaining, I think. lol

Sounds like the CM maybe didn't understand what was going on? It's always unfortunate to be given conflicting information by 2 different CMs.

In the end, it didn't make or break anything, but yeah, the CM definitely didn't know what was going on.

What? Wait... so you had enough room that you could sit down and see the castle show and fireworks? That would almost make it worth the price of admission for that alone!

Yessssss!! It was glorious!!!! I took my shoes off, stretched out on the grass, and even could have rolled around a bit had I felt so inclined. lol

Awesome! That makes up for the annoying ride you had earlier!

I'm glad that you were able to enjoy some time after the park closed and see the Kiss Goodnight. And, as always, Dustin got some nice pictures.

Yes, it was great to get a re-do!

Seeing the Kiss Goodnight for the first time was a great end to the evening. It's really the perfect way to close out a day in MK, but nearly impossible to do with kids.

I have to agree that all the desserts on your plate looked delicious.

Your husband does such a wonderful job taking the pictures. They look awesome.

I've heard about the Kiss Goodnight but have never stayed for it. Maybe next time.

Oh, they were all so so good.

Thank you! He has really worked hard to get better and better with every trip.

It's awesome!! If you ever get the chance to see it, you definitely should. It was such a sweet way to end the evening.

Wow, super annoying! :sad2:

Incredibly annoying!!!

:rotfl: Well, he probably had to fuel up. :duck:

Exactly! I was helping him out, really...

Yay, I'm so glad you got to see it. I remember you messaging me about the timing of when I saw it. Glad it worked out.

As always, beautiful pictures. :thumbsup2

Yes, it worked out so perfectly!! Thanks again for your tips.

Thank you!

WOW, what a wonderful MK evening!! the few rides before the party with no wait looked great (minus the annoying group lol) and the dessert party sounds really nice - actually better than the pre-reserved one? Seems like it was less crowded in your area, which is so nice. And his view still looked amazing to me, his photos are breathtaking. How wonderful to NOT need to get out of the park due to bedtimes and such, and instead get on a couple more rides then leave in an empty park! Gorgeous!

There was less than 20 people in the viewing area with us, and it was glorious. I really loved it, and personally I think the viewing is better than being up on the terrace. I guess the appeal there would be that you could still enjoy your desserts while watching. But at some point, let's be real, you just can't eat anymore anyway! lol

It was definitely nice not to have to hurry out of the parks any night to worry about the kids getting enough sleep. I missed them terribly, but it was nice for a few days, for sure.

I am still so happy for you that you got into the Connecting with Walt meet (and a bit jealous). Also glad that we got to say high, even if briefly. It's nice to meet someone in person that you have interacted with online for a while

It was a really interesting meet. And so nice that we got to meet you, even if it was really quick!

It sounds like such a fun event - even if not scheduled for the optimal time. I love hearing about all the details within Walt Disney World / Disneyland - so to see them pointed out directly by Micheal must have been amazing. Love that you went on the Carousel of Progress as well - did Micheal talk during the ride or just let everyone sit down/cool down and take it all in and then talk after? Cool that you got to ride with Micheal on the People Mover and great group pictures at the end!

Michael and Craig were sure to remind us several times that Pete had chosen the time. lol I guess with all of the meets going on it was tough to fit them all in at the optimal time. For the rides, Michael just let us enjoy them and talked after. It was a nice break in the middle of the meet.

Side note, since I saw in your comment back to Imagineer5 about being able to get FP for FAE .... we stayed off site last July and we were able to get FP for FAE at the 30 day mark - it was only for later in the day (~4:30) and I booked them right at 7am EST but we were able to get them. I agree, it's a nice ride but no way would I wait 2 hours for it or anything

Good to know! I think it probably never worked for us because we book our FPs in the morning and park hop in the afternoon. Waiting 2 hours is just not an option! But I'm sure if and when DD is die hard about riding, we'll have to adjust our plans accordingly if we can only get an afternoon/evening time.

That's great you decided to do the dessert party - such a fun capper to the day! We did it once several years ago before they modified it (and increased the price). I really liked it but wasn't sure if it was worth the new, larger price tag - but it seems like you got more for you money (we didn't get sparkling cider or ice cream as an option) and we didn't have the option of the garden view, only the Tomorrowland Terrace

It was an awesome end to the day! We both really loved it, though definitely a bit pricey. Not something we'll be able to do every trip, that's for sure.

... Stop being logical!!! ;)

Though, I will point out that next trip it will be the new Once Upon a Time show so he will be justified in wanting a good spot for that one :thumbsup2

Seems like a nice evening and I love wandering through a nearly empty Disney park at night! Glad you got to see the Kiss Goodnight!

lol Right?!

Yes, I'm excited to get to see the new show!! We'll definitely need a better view for that!

What an annoying ride on Pirates! I hate when that happens.

Beautiful castle pics, I always love that time of day too.

The desserts look yummy, I'm glad they tasted just as good!

Those poles can be annoying, but DH still got awesome pictures! It's great that the area wasn't too crowded. I'm glad it was worth doing the dessert party!

How cool to be the last ones let in on Pirates! Glad you got to have a re-do of the ride!

DH's nighttime shots are so stunning. With no one in the shots they look like they could be stock photos! Awesome work!

I don't know why people feel the need to talk endlessly on attractions where other people are trying to enjoy the actual attraction. No need to talk in a normal tone of voice!

The desserts were sooooooo good! I could go for a few of them right now...

It's hard to find a totally unobstructed view now, but I was totally happy to have lots of space to enjoy the nighttime festivities as a trade off for a pole in the way.

What an amazingly detailed trip report.

Your photography is amazing, some of those pictures look like they should be included in a Disney brochure! :tinker: Very Impressive!

I can't wait to read your other entries!

Thanks so much!!

I was way behind on your report. Yikes, sorry about that! But I'm all caught up now.

The Connecting with Walt meet sounds like it was really interesting. I'll admit, I love when Michael is on the podcast shows, but I tried listening to CwW on a drive to Frankfurt and was kind of bored. I'll give it another shot, but I imagine hearing Michael talk about the history in person is way more interesting. Especially when it covers the window signage. I love seeing what new names I can find on each trip.

But, man....3 o'clock in the Magic Kingdom in July. That is the hottest, busiest time of the year! (At least on Christmas day it's in the 70s/80s.)
I don't blame you for wanting to go back to your room and change.

Those desserts at the party look delicious. I'm glad you guys decided to splurge and do the event. When it comes to kid-free trips, you sort of have to indulge a little. You certainly earned it!

That's pretty cool that you basically had Pirates to yourselves. Although, also had to be a little weird, getting ushered through the queue because it was closed.

Great photos, as always. The empty Adventureland shot is my favorite. Makes me miss those summer nights at the MK when the sun is gone and it's possible to enjoy the park.

No worries, I'm far behind on everyone's too. It's so hard to find the time nowadays!

In person was definitely more interesting!! It made me appreciate the podcast a little more after getting to hear him talk in person. I couldn't listen to them on a long drive trying to stay awake, but they are good to listen to when I'm driving to work or straightening my hair or something. I think because it's only two of them so there's not as much joking and banter as the other shows have. But the information is really interesting!

It was all Pete's fault apparently! lol Michael and Craig made it clear that Pete had chosen the time and location to fit in with the other meets.

This was a trip of splurges, apparently! lol We loved the dessert party, and it was another great splurge in addition to staying at the Contemporary.

Day 4: Monday July 25th

Despite the late night, we still found ourselves up at 7:30 am the next morning. We took our time getting ready, as we didn’t have anything planned before our 9:20 am breakfast. We’d decided we wanted to do at least one TS breakfast for a later morning, and had narrowed down our choices to Trail’s End at Fort Wilderness and Kona Café at the Polynesian. It was a tough decision between the two, but after scouring the menus, we ended up picking Kona. At about 8:30, we left the room and headed over to the main building to catch the monorail to the Poly.

After a quick monorail ride, we made it to the Polynesian at 8:50 am. It was our first time in there since they had renovated the lobby.

July 04-005

We went over to the restaurant to check in. We have only ever had breakfast at ‘Ohana at the Polynesian, and it is noticeably more calm and quite over by Kona compared to ‘Ohana!

July 04-006
At 9:05, we were seated and handed our menus. We didn’t really need them, though, because we had already decided what we were getting a long time ago! We had decided on 2 entrees that we could share so we could try a taste of everything!

July 04-008

July 04-007
Big Kahuna French Toast, Pancakes topped with Pineapple Sauce and Macadamia Nut Butter, Eggs, Home-fried Potatoes, Ham, Bacon, and Sausage

July 04-009
Tonga Toast Banana-stuffed Sourdough French Toast rolled in Cinnamon Sugar and served with a Strawberry Compote and your choice of Ham, Bacon, or Sausage

So, how did we enjoy our first meal at Kona?

July 04-010
I’d say we enjoyed it! Every single thing was delicious!! It was a good way to get to try everything, since I had been reading about Tonga Toast forever and wanting to try it, but I also wanted to try the macadamia nut pineapple pancakes, and have the option for other breakfast staples like eggs. DH wasn’t sure he would love the Tonga Toast, either. So it was perfect for us to share a little of everything. It ended up being a good choice, because while I really enjoyed the Tonga Toast, it was very sweet for breakfast and I couldn’t have eaten the whole thing myself.

After breakfast, we looked around at the gift shop and the rest of the lobby before getting back on the monorail to go back to the Contemporary. We checked out the two gift shops there too, and bought a few souvenirs to bring back home. I found a Contemporary magnet to get, and fell in love with a small framed print of the floating lanterns scene from Tangled that I got to hang in my room. We also picked up some travel journals for the kids, and a set of droids for DS since he loves the Build a Droid stations at the dump shop for Star Tours.

We dropped off our purchases in our room and got what we would need for the day, then decided instead of taking the bus that we would drive to Disney Springs. It was time to head over to the podcast taping!

We arrived around 11:15 and hung out around the La Nouba theater waiting for them to let us in to the taping and saying hello to some other DISers.

July 04-011
The podcasters all came out at some point to wave down to us and say hello. At around noon, we were let into the theater to find seats. While we waited for show time, they had videos playing on a screen to keep us entertained.

July 04-012
There was a particularly funny video of Craig, Corey, and Will all squeezing into one vehicle and riding Mater’s Junkyard Jamboree at California Adventure! Lol Right at 1 pm, they showed a really sweet interview video with the podcasters. And then afterwards, Pete came out to start the show and introduce everyone else.

They talked about their highlights over the last 10 years, and the fun they had been having over the Mega Meet weekend. It was really fun and really sweet to be there live, hearing them reminisce. I haven’t been around for the entire length of the podcast, but I’ve been there for the past few years. It was really cool to be able to be a part of a podcast! If you want to watch the show, it’s still available on their site and on iTunes.

The taping finished up around 2 pm, and we decided to drive back to the Contemporary.

Untitled
Finally got that photo of Lightning going under the MK arches I wanted!
UP NEXT: Epcot Evening

It looks like a great breakfast at Kona. I also have only eaten at 'Ohana for breakfast. I've heard so much about Tonga toast, but I'm really not sure if I would enjoy it. I like the cinnamon sugar part, but I don't really like warm banannas. I'm very curious though.

I've been watching the podcast for about 2 years now. It was nice watching the 10th anniversary one and it's great to see some behind the scenes stuff. I liked the video they had of some of the fans giving their thoughts. It was nice to see faces of some people I recognize from their user names!

We had decided on 2 entrees that we could share so we could try a taste of everything!
Excellent choices! :thumbsup2 Also, love the shirt!

28672079610_645dd38015_c.jpg
Great picture! :car:

So I can't tell, did you enjoy your breakfast? :rotfl:Both meals looks so yummy! I'm glad you decided to go there!

I'm glad you guys enjoyed the podcast taping!

Definitely seems like "breakfast at Kona before going to the podcast taping" was the unofficial strategy that day. And you might recall from my TR that we did the exact same thing in splitting the Tonga Toast and Big Kahuna and had the same reaction - perfect for sharing as the TT was rather sweet for one person to eat the entire thing

Glad you enjoyed the taping - you got some nice photos as well. I agree about the fun videos they played at the beginning

So, how did we enjoy our first meal at Kona?

I would certainly say this picture speaks for itself! I'm glad you enjoyed getting to try a couple of different things for breakfast!

They talked about their highlights over the last 10 years, and the fun they had been having over the Mega Meet weekend. It was really fun and really sweet to be there live, hearing them reminisce. I haven’t been around for the entire length of the podcast, but I’ve been there for the past few years. It was really cool to be able to be a part of a podcast! If you want to watch the show, it’s still available on their site and on iTunes.
It looks like it was a fun event. I didn't watch the video of it, but I did listen to that podcast. I honestly haven't listened to the Dis Unplugged for all that long. I had listened to an episode here and there but never really added it to the constant rotation until this summer when I was driving to the hospital every day and needed more to listen to. Anyway, I now make a point to listen every week, but I felt like this 10th anniversary show was a great way to celebrate the show and kind of served as a nice introductory piece for me to get to know the cast a little bit better.

That is a fantastic picture!

It looks like a great breakfast at Kona. I also have only eaten at 'Ohana for breakfast. I've heard so much about Tonga toast, but I'm really not sure if I would enjoy it. I like the cinnamon sugar part, but I don't really like warm banannas. I'm very curious though.

I've been watching the podcast for about 2 years now. It was nice watching the 10th anniversary one and it's great to see some behind the scenes stuff. I liked the video they had of some of the fans giving their thoughts. It was nice to see faces of some people I recognize from their user names!

I was a little hesitant because it's a huge portion, so if I didn't really like it, I didn't have other options. That was why we decided on the plan of sharing that plus the platter. It worked out perfectly. I don't think I could have eaten the entire Tonga Toast by myself, because it was very sweet. It was good, though!!

I loved the fan video too! I thought that was a nice touch to give back to the podcasters a little bit. I've been listening for probably about 5 years, so not the entire time. But I still feel pretty invested! I wish I had more time to watch the shows because I miss out on all of the video/photo elements. I mostly only have time to listen on my commute to and from work.

Excellent choices! :thumbsup2 Also, love the shirt!

It was a great choice for breakfast! And thank you, we got a lot of compliments on our shirts that day.

Great picture! :car:

Thank you! Now you see why I was so bummed to miss out on that on shot on our arrival day!!! lol I was glad I was able to get it later in the trip at least.

So I can't tell, did you enjoy your breakfast? :rotfl:Both meals looks so yummy! I'm glad you decided to go there!

I'm glad you guys enjoyed the podcast taping!

Haha right?! Hard to tell with all of those crumbs left on the plate... It was a great breakfast choice! Much less hectic than 'Ohana.

It was a really interesting experience to be there as they recorded after listening to them in my car for so many years.

Definitely seems like "breakfast at Kona before going to the podcast taping" was the unofficial strategy that day. And you might recall from my TR that we did the exact same thing in splitting the Tonga Toast and Big Kahuna and had the same reaction - perfect for sharing as the TT was rather sweet for one person to eat the entire thing

Glad you enjoyed the taping - you got some nice photos as well. I agree about the fun videos they played at the beginning

Haha, yeah it was! I guess it reinforces our good choice that morning. lol Yes, I do remember reading that y'all split the same meals! Such a great way to get to try everything. We pushed ourselves to finish everything, but we could have easily split this with all 4 of us on a family trip.

The taping was a lot of fun! Having never been able to experience one before at other events, we really enjoyed ourselves.

I would certainly say this picture speaks for itself! I'm glad you enjoyed getting to try a couple of different things for breakfast!

Haha I know! I couldn't believe we managed to eat all of that food but it was sooooo good.

It looks like it was a fun event. I didn't watch the video of it, but I did listen to that podcast. I honestly haven't listened to the Dis Unplugged for all that long. I had listened to an episode here and there but never really added it to the constant rotation until this summer when I was driving to the hospital every day and needed more to listen to. Anyway, I now make a point to listen every week, but I felt like this 10th anniversary show was a great way to celebrate the show and kind of served as a nice introductory piece for me to get to know the cast a little bit better.

Until they changed hosts, I will honestly admit that I used to enjoy WDW Today a little more than the DIS Unplugged. But after the change, I took that out of my rotation and now pretty much listen to all of the shows in the DIS network. I love how it's pretty much just different combinations of the same people, but the vibe of each show is all so different! Sometimes I have trouble keeping up! lol I also just recently started listening to one called Disney Distracted Life, which is basically audio trip reports, so that one is really fun to listen to also!

That is a fantastic picture!

Thank you!! It was like the money shot I had been wanting to get to send to DS!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter