"Coconut drinks" etc. on the islands?

DVCajun

<font color=red>If you believe in Magic you belong
This will be our first time on the islands (Eastern) and I've got this romantic idea of drinking a rum drink out of a coconut. :rolleyes: Am I going to be disappointed? Are there drinks available even if you don't go to a beach? And if you do go to a beach, how does that work-- do you go up to a bar to order your drink? Feeling rather green asking these questions, but I'd rather be prepared than cool. :blush:

:teeth:

You are going to love Castaway Cay. Konk Kooler. That's all you need :cool1: They will come to you or you can walk up to the bar. I don't remember seeing them in coconut shells, but they are soooooo good that it doesn't matter. When we were there on the 10/16 cruise, they had 2 for 1 in the late afternoon :earboy2: Yummmmmmm!

Jeanne

The Konk Koolers are the best. They don't come in real coconuts but plastic coconut glasses. I have them at home and whenever I drink out of them it reminds me of CC and the great cruise. Enjoy!!

I remember seeing some sort of drink in a shell of some sort...For some reason I'm visioning a pinapple shell....but that can't be right.

As for anyone coming around at CC....I didn't see anyone...the only drinks I saw were at the bar...which isn't far away.. :cool1:

They serve the Konk Koolers in plastic coconuts or REAL coconuts. LOL Here's a picture of what the real coconut looks like, from my Konk Kooler at Castaway Cay a few months ago:

PA080021.JPG

This coconut is wearing my mouse ears and the gold medal I won on the ship, but underneath is what my drink came in! LOL It looks like a pirate with an eye patch. lol

Konk Koolers sound wonderful!!!

What about on St. Thomas or St. Martin?

When you get to the islands..ask the locals for a recommendation on where to go. They are always more than helpful, they can also recommend a great place to get food with those drinks.

enjoy!

Okay, inquiring minds want to know....what's in a "Konk Kooler"?

I had the frozen strawberry dacquiri on CC (....or several :cool: )

QuiltTeddy said:
Okay, inquiring minds want to know....what's in a "Konk Kooler"?

I had the frozen strawberry dacquiri on CC (....or several :cool: )

Konk Koolers are a slice of tropical Heaven! :cloud9: Unless IMHO you get it at the adult bar. The ones at the Konked Out Bar are of a smoothie consistency rightout of the smoothie machine and the ones DH and I had at the adult bar I were made in a blender and were not tasty! Be sure to have the bartender float a shot of dark rum on the top for you...an extra punch! :drinking1

Here is the recipe I got from the DIS boards a while back! :jumping1:

Konk Kooler:

1/2 can cream of coconut
3 ounces light rum
3 ounces dark rum
1/2 of a 12oz can frozen passion fruit juice concentrate(Welches)
4 oz of orange juice
2-3 cups of ice
Add all together in a blender until very fine and serve!

Drop the rum for a non-alcoholic version.

Laura ºoº

SeaSpray said:
They serve the Konk Koolers in plastic coconuts or REAL coconuts. LOL Here's a picture of what the real coconut looks like, from my Konk Kooler at Castaway Cay a few months ago:

PA080021.JPG

This coconut is wearing my mouse ears and the gold medal I won on the ship, but underneath is what my drink came in! LOL It looks like a pirate with an eye patch. lol
Hey, he must be a brother to the one we have,, except ours is wearing a red bandana with Goofy ears!

I guess I am the only one who does not care for Konk Cooler....just not my taste!! I love all other tropical drinks....

This is a pic of me and my "coconuts" from last week's Wonder cruise....the pic was taken on the beach at Paradise Island....there were plenty of "hawkers" with a box of supplies and a machette (sp) they loped off the top of the coconuts and mixed your drink right there at your towel!!!

As a matter of fact....in the background of the picture you can see the guy with the box of supplies on his head!!!!

http://community.webshots.com/photo/249426676/249464922vOtdFi

MJ

I guess I am the only one who does not care for Konk Cooler....just not my taste!! I love all other tropical drinks....
No, I don't like them either. DBF got his in the coconut shell. I don't like drinks with coconut. I drank peach margaritas instead!

That's a great pic, MJ! I think we may need to hit Paradise Beach next cruise :cool1:

Thanks for posting the Konk Kooler recipe, Laura. Yummmmmm. Maybe one or two of those with some island music will get me motivated to get my cruise album done :earboy2:

It's a good thing that there are a variety of island drinks out there, huh? (alcoholic & non-alcoholic)

Jeanne

Years ago when I cruised on another cruise line, it seems to me you could ask for a drink without the fancy glass and it was much cheaper. Anyone know? Thanks.

I believe you can ask to have your drink NOT made in the souvenier glass. The coconut was a totally different thing though because it was really a souvenier -- and more expensive than just their plastic souvenier glasses.

I'm not much of a rum fan but I have to agree that the Konk Cooler was YUMMMMY!!!!!!!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter