(CLOSED)>> The One And Only Refillable Mug FAQ and Questions Thread (No Debate) <<

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanadianGuy

<font color=green><br><br><font color=blue>Me and
So we’re going to keep all Disney Resort Refillable Mug related discussions in this thread. If you have a question you don’t see answered above or wish more clarification on any points, just ask.

Here are the basic guidelines:

1. No fighting, name calling or debate on the rules as Disney has clearly laid them out. Any posts flouting the rules Disney has set forth will be summarily deleted from the thread. Repeated re-postings of same will earn infractions. Disney’s policies are laid out below with a very straightforward detailing of just exactly how lazy Disney is about ‘enforcement’. Both sides are presented. No need to debate it any further. And absolutely NO NEED to use words like “Steal”, “Thief” “I heard Disney gets free syrup”, "We were told by CM Charlie that could always do this" -----> none of that is relative to the discussions to be allowed in this thread.

2. No discussion of how to get around the rules. If you take your mugs back on every trip, that's your choice, but please don't post about it here.

3. Any post deemed off topic or in any way against the DIS Posting Guidelines will be deleted without comment and the poster may receive an infraction.

4. Any other thread started on the resort board for the "Mugs" topic will either be merged into this thread or closed with a note to see this thread.

5. If you see a post that you believe goes against these rules or the DIS Posting Guidelines, do not enter into a fight on the boards with that poster. Simply use the REPORT POST function on the left side of each post. The moderators will take a look and decide on a course of action – if any.

Please abide by these guidelines - and everyone can get the info they need and we can minimize the drama, minimize the unnecessary work for the moderators and the unnecessary infractions.

Thanks,

CanadianGuy & Lynne M

---

Refillable MUG FAQ

What’s this “refillable mug” thing that I keep hearing about at Disney resorts.

Most * of the WDW Resorts sell refillable mugs either in the gift shops or more likely in the food service area. The mugs cost around $14 + tax and entitle the owner to endless refills for the duration of the trip in which the mug was bought. They are not meant to be brought back again and again trip after trip. Disney’s policies printed on signs at the sales point and actually on the mugs themselves make this explicitly clear.

How much do they hold?

Old style squat and fat or the new style tall and skinny both hold exactly the same amount – 14 oz.

Generally speaking without much ice, they will hold a 12 oz can of soda fairly well. But not much more. They are deceptive because the exterior is MUCH bigger than the actual drink containing middle ..

What kind of drinks are available for these mugs?

Typical offerings include sodas, hot chocolate, iced tea and coffee. It does not include milk, juices etc. Some locations do offer select juices via the mugs.. it really can vary by resort… and even sometimes by time of year. Disney’s exclusive soda arrangement is with Coke. There will not be any Pepsi products available for the mugs. Remember that Dr. Pepper and certain other brands have bottling arrangements with either Coke or Pepsi depending on the geographical region. Just because it’s considered a Coke or Pepsi product where you live, doesn’t mean it is in Central Florida.

Can I refill them at the parks? Other restaurants? Waterparks? Other Resorts?

No, typically speaking they can be refilled at the resort where you bought them and that’s about it. Waterparks do offer a refillable mug but it’s a different mug and it has to be purchased at the waterpark. You cannot refill these at the parks or other restaurants for free. Of course, if you wish to purchase a regular soda, water, whatever at the parks and put it in your refillable mug… that’s no probski.

Generally, the resort mugs aren’t very convenient for going to other resorts or the parks with. They tend to be a big bulky for touring and also tend to tip over easily even on a food service tray.. if you’re not careful.

That said, I have no clue how Disney would ever know if you took one to a neighboring resort and filled up while there.

But when I bought my mug they told me it was good forever? Was I lied to?

Maybe. Depends on when you bought your mug. General rule of thumb is that if you bought before 2000 or 1999 these may well be the ‘forever’ mugs. Otherwise, yeah, you were lied to. Look on the side of your mug for printing if you’re unsure.

Darg-nab-it, I was told I could bring them back and I’m gonna bring them back.. I didn’t see any sign when I bought mine that said I couldn’t! I spent thousands of dollars on this trip to Disney, do they really care if I bring the mug back a few times?

Ultimately.. it IS your vacation and you are free to do as you wish.

The policies as Disney has outlined them are above. You may be approached by a cast member if your mug is obviously very old or outdated. Or, in all likelihood, you might not be. Disney has definitely taken a very lazy approach to managing the policies relating to the mugs.

Whatever your refillable mug ‘world view’ , there’s no need to try and change people’s minds about this topic on this thread. That type of effort has proven over and over again to be a lot like trying to teach pigs to tango, nobody learns anything and everyone ends up covered in mud.

And as per the rules above – it will be considered debate and won’t be allowed in this thread.

Ok, I'm doing a split stay at two different resorts. Do I have to buy mugs for each resort?

That sorta used to be the case when each resort had it's own style mug. Altho many people went ahead and used em at both resorts anyway.

Today, the mugs are pretty much all the same. So there's hardly any point. And honestly, if you ask at any Disney resort and explain the split trip, they'll tell you .. they put more weight on the "for the duration of your trip" portion than they do "at the resort where you bought it."

That is if they put any weight on it at all.

Which resorts offer these refillable mugs exactly.. ?

Once upon a time the mugs were imprinted with a design unique to each resort. That’s no longer the case. They tend to be one generic style of mug for about 6 to 12 months and then they switch the design. Each property has different refill stations and be sure to ask when you buy your mug where those are for your resort. You may find that your room location and the amount of walking makes it not worth the price for your party / travel situation.

All Stars (all three)
Animal Kingdom Lodge
Bay Lake Tower
Beach Club / Yacht Club
Boardwalk
Caribbean Beach
Contemporary
Coronado Springs
Fort Wilderness Campground
Grand Floridian
Old Key West
Polynesian
Pop Century
Port Orleans (Riverside & French Quarter)
Saratoga Springs
Wilderness Lodge

Refillable mug? Don’t get they lousy with bacteria or other grossness? Yuck!

Yes, they do. If you don’t wash them out. There are mug washing sinks available in almost every food service location where they are refilled and you can also rinse them out or whatever back in your room as well.

What do the current Disney mugs look like?

Like this:

resortmugs20090001.jpg

I don't wanna break the rules. But I don't want to shell out 60$ for new mugs for my family of 5? Can I re-use the mugs? PLEEEEASE?

Let your conscience be your guide. The rules are clear. You may do whatever you wish.

Just don't tell us about it. LA LA LA LA.. :)

Are they offered at the Swan or Dolphin?

The "Disney" refillable mugs are NOT offered at the S/D.

However the Picabu eatery at the Dolphin only does offer a refillable mug for just $12.95. They offer complimentary refills at Picabu ONLY for the duration of your visiting including most sodas and coffee.

These Picabu mugs CAN be brought back on future trips for more refills.

What does the Picabu Mug look like?

They look like this:

001-1.jpg

I just wanted to say for it's location at Bay Lake Tower you should add next to it that anyone staying there can refill them at the Cove Bar, since they don't have an actual counter service location.

Well said... Thanks! :thumbsup2

Any chance you could post a picture of the latest mugs?

very informative, succinct, and eloquent!!! thank you for including split stay!!! you hit all the salient points.

well done!:thumbsup2

Since the mugs are no longer unique, having a collection of the same one seems a waste.
I urge people to write Disney and suggest they offer a program where by you can refill previously purchased mugs at a discounted price. It would be a very "green" thing to do.

However, the Swan and Dolphin have their own refillable mugs. Not nearly as cute as the WDW mugs, but....you are told when you buy them to remember to bring them back on your next visit!!! They are sold with the intention of future trip usage...very refreshing to say the least.
Here's a photo of their mug...
001-1.jpg

I love reusing mine at Picabu!!!

Great sticky!

Now there needs to be one for pool hopping. :lmao:

ITA with this!!! "The One and Only Refillable Mug and Pool Hopping FAQ and Questions Thread (NO DEBATE!)

Love it and so glad to see this sticky!:thumbsup2
Thanks Knox and Lynne:)

Since the mugs are no longer unique, having a collection of the same one seems a waste.
I urge people to write Disney and suggest they offer a program where by you can refill previously purchased mugs at a discounted price. It would be a very "green" thing to do.

Great thread, CanadianGuy and great idea, rosiep!! I would love to be able to bring my mug back and buy a length-of-stay sticker or something to "recharge" an old mug for a new visit.

Pool hopping is being put together as we speak. :goodvibes:

Stay tuned...

Can I ask a question just for clarification please? I have several resort specific mugs that have no printing by the handle. I see where the newer mugs clearly state they are for the duration of stay only, but the ones without this printed message...are they the lifetime mugs? Thanks.

Can I ask a question just for clarification please? I have several resort specific mugs that have no printing by the handle. I see where the newer mugs clearly state they are for the duration of stay only, but the ones without this printed message...are they the lifetime mugs? Thanks.

As far as my experience the ones from 2003 and before were.

Probably yes.. but not always. If you purchased them after 2001 or 2002 - then pretty much guaranteed not the lifetime mugs.

If before.. probably they are.

If you purchased them in the year 2000 or before then I would say yes they are good on future visits. Plus since you stated these mugs don't have any rules written on them un like the ones currently being sold, others have stated those types of mugs are ok to bring back.

I have mugs from almost every year, since '99. My mugs, bought in '99 from DxL, were sold as 'good forever'...yes, there was signage to that effect. When I returned to POR (the renamed DxLs), there was signage to the effect that refillable mugs were good at that resort only and good only for the lenght of that stay in which it was purchased. Naturally, the design was different due to the name change.
I have mugs from the Polynesian, bought in '03, that have no writing on them...but, there was signage that stated the mugs were good for the resort in which they were purchased, for the duration of that stay. Or something pretty similar. A few years later, Disney started adding the 'rules' to the actual mug in addition to the signage at the mug shelf.
I doubt there were any sold, other than at CSR perhaps, after 2000 that were good for life. At least that was my experience.

WHat do the new mugs for this year look like. We are on the fence if we will buy them again this year. We will only be there for 4 days before our Wonder cruise

To the best of my knowledge, they are exactly like last years mugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter