Classic Disney World Experiences (and how to "rope drop")

wickedgood

Earning My Ears
Having never been as kids, my husband and I have only recently discovered Disney World. We've taken 3 short trips over the past 4 years and are about to embark on our 4th.

At this point I think we've been on all of the rides and seen all of the shows, parades, and fireworks, so now we want to focus on some of the classic Disney "experiences" that we've missed along the way.
  • For instance, we've never been on the monorail. We're going to hop on and take a loop around the deluxe resorts just for fun.
  • We've never dined, or even visited, any resort that we weren't actually staying in (so we've only seen the moderates.) This time we've made a reservation at Boma and will explore the Animal Kingdom Lodge. Maybe we'll watch Wishes from the Polynesian.
  • Although we're early risers and get to the parks early, we've never experienced "rope drop."*
  • We've been to Downtown Disney but not the Boardwalk. We'll have to check that out this time.
What are some other iconic Disney experiences? We probably won't get back down to Disney for a long time after this trip so we really want to get the most out of it. Would love any suggestions. Note that we're a couple of grown-ups with no kids.

*I still don't really know what this is. How early do I have to get to Magic Kingdom for rope drop if the park opens at 9am?

No actual rope. Just park opening. Depending on when you go there, be there 30 mins to 1 hour (busy times) before scheduled opening time and you will be one of the first (relatively of course) into the park and get to experience the lowest wait times for attractions throughout the day.

The Boardwalk is neat, it is nothing compared to Disney Springs. Mostly resorts and their shops, couple of dining options which are all very good.

I would consider Chef Mickey's a pretty iconic Disney experience. My first experience dining there was in 1988 when I was 5 so it's been around for a very long time. If you're going to take a ride on the monorail I would definitely stop at the Contemporary just to visit the resort itself and consider having a meal at Chef Mickey's.

Last edited:
For MK: Guests are allowed into the park one hour before the official opening time. They can peruse Main Street and wait at the Hub to watch the Welcome Show on the Castle Stage.

Here's a thread on Rope drop.

We ride the monorail all the time, because we stay off site. We love it, it's part of the Disney magic for us. Ride the resort monorail as you suggested and visit the Contemporary, Poly and Grand Floridian. They're all very nice places. Also hop on the monorail going from MK to Epcot. It's a nice ride and it loops Epcot, so you get a cool view of the park.

The boardwalk is definitely worth the visit, but nothing overly "exciting".

You can also ride an antique (well, OK, replica of an antique) car up Main St. early in the morning at MK. It's fun.

Have you seen the Jamitors in Epcot? They're cool.

The light parade on the Seven Seas lagoon is worth seeing.

Have you seen the Voices of Liberty at the America pavillion at Epcot? It's been beautiful.

I'd say somebody character dining is part of the classic experience. In a park or in resort, there's a lot to choose from. It's not just foR kids.

Have you been to Fort Wilderness? There's a lot a of classic WDW experiences there. HDDR is a great dinner show. THe horses used in the parks are housed there. There's Hay rides, and it's a great a great place to do movie under the stars (bring stuff to make s'mores). YOU can also watch WIshes from the beach and the water pageant.

Boardwalk is a fun area, with shops and restaurants. It gets livelier around sunset, if you plan on being in that area.

Enjoy Boma! It's delicious and it's my favorite buffet on property.

I love riding the monorail! Sometimes my sister & I plan our trips just so we can ride the monorail around. Last trip we hopped on the MK resort loop monorail and visited the resorts, along the way. So much fun, I would recommend. It stops at MK, CR, TTC, Poly, The Grand and then back to MK. Definitely ride it if you get the chance. I recommend the last car since most people walk halfway and stop.

Most importantly have fun! :)

I'd say Hoop dee doo is an iconic Disney experience!
Also sitting in the Grand Floridian lobby and listening to the pianist and Orchestra.. So awesome!

If you get to MK at RD, don't just rush up Main St, hop on the horse trolley or one of the antique vehicles for the trip. You'll get to the hub as fast as a power walk would get you there.

Bill From PA

If you get to MK at RD, don't just rush up Main St, hop on the horse trolley or one of the antique vehicles for the trip. You'll get to the hub as fast as a power walk would get you there.

Bill From PA

Except that now with Main St opening an hour earlier than park opening, they'll probably already be at the hub when the vehicles start operating.

Except that now with Main St opening an hour earlier than park opening, they'll probably already be at the hub when the vehicles start operating.

It's not really that different than before. If OP's family wanted to make it short ride lines under the old rope-drop method, they probably would have ignored the vehicles then, too.

My husband and i find the history of disney to be the most fascinating aspect of the parks. He is reading Jim Korkis secret stories of walt disney world and his second book on this topic -more secrets. The books are fascinating and are giving us ideas of finding little historical tid bits about each park - certain statues or lights put in the parks for a specific reason. He was reading last night that the hoop dee doo review (at fort wilderness) is one of the longest running shows at WDW -- it was meant to only be a fill in show for 2 weeks (about 40 years ago), but it took off and is a staple of WDW. Reading these books might give you a different perspective to your visits.

I second Hoop-de-Doo....I believe it's the same script as from when it opened way back when.

Eating a Mickey Bar and Dole Whip Float would be "classic."

Maybe not classic, but if you're going to be on the Boardwalk, rent a surrey bike and do a few laps (hint, the hills by the bridges will make you work!)

Look for Hidden Mickeys.

Chef Mickey's
Hoop de Doo
Electrical Water Pageant from Poly beach
Marketplace at Disney Springs (World of Disney, Toy Store, Christmas Store, Goofy's Candy shop)
Water Mice on the Lagoon
Riding to the MK gates on the RiverBoat from TTC
Main Street USA
Meal in the Castle

when you go to Boma, get a Hidden Mickey 'scavenger hunt' sheet from the front desk.

ride the monorail down to epcot and back. fun, long ride.

Explore the monorail resort lobbies and gift shops.

Wilderness Lodge is a great resort to explore too (boat over from MK).

We've played mini golf - when you visit the boardwalk you can walk there.

Rent a pontoon boat at one of the marinas. We love doing that!

Enjoy your trip!!

Someone else mentioned this but I second it....ferryboat ride in from TTC to MK! Fun for the kids....monorail too! Our girls loved both!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter