Citi Prestige 4th Night Free + Discounts?

schalliol

Mouseketeer
Especially for those staying at Deluxe resorts, the Citi Prestige MasterCard offers the best discount I've heard anywhere (~$1,000 bucks every 4 days), since the 4th night is free.

I have arranged two sets of 4 night stays back to back (Boardwalk Water View and then Polynesian Theme Park View) through the concierge at the full rates through the Citi Prestige Concierge. The concierge simply calls the hotel to confirm the details just like you would if you called, but then they write up a letter on Citi letterhead that tells you how much credit you're going to get back after your stay.

I do understand you can add discounts through the concierge, if there's a code they can call in to update the reservation.

There are some catches:
  • You must change resorts between each 4 night span, but that frankly seems like a fun idea and I have been told Disney will move my luggage for me
  • The big one: The total charge must be just for the hotel stay. I don't fully understand the precise details of how this works, as I'm sure you can have incidentals, etc. The reason they do this is to make sure they aren't paying for your dining, etc. So you can have add-ons, but they need to be billed separately as I understand it.
A couple questions:
  1. Has anyone else stayed using the 4th night free, and if so, could you please let me/us know your experiences? If so,
    • Were you able to add some sort of discount or package that was covered?
    • How did it work when paying for meals or other charges through the Magic Band?
    • Any issues?
  2. Are there other ways to get any sort of savings on dining or anything else that doesn't show on the same hotel invoice?
Thanks for your help! I want to make sure I don't screw up the awesome deal while trying to be reasonable with savings where possible!

Schalliol - I used it for 4 nights at Royal Pacific, followed by 4 nights at Hard Rock Hotel -- Universal Orlando. I was able to add the Annual Passholder Discount, which was the cheapest rate I could otherwise find.

Assuming I receive my credit, it will have saved me $470 over the next best rate. Like you, we enjoyed switching properties after 4 nights, and we always split our stays anyway. Also - we usually stay 7-10 nights, and thought 8 nights was perfect.

The credits did not post on the statement following my stay, and I still haven't received them (late August stays). I'll report back in a few days when my next statement posts. Otherwise I'll have to call them. My experience getting Citi to issue credits can be a pain (i.e. they refused to honor my Allegiant Air $250 flight credit for months because Allegiant doesn't code itself as an airline). -- very different from my experiences with Amex and especially Chase. FWIW, the new Chase Reserve card is a no-brainer and the best rewards card I've ever seen (if you cancel after your first year).

Thanks for replying!

Please let me know how it goes. I assume that you charged meals/stuff to your magic band and that this won't be an issue at all for reimbursement, but it would be nice to know.

I like that I have a letter on Citi letterhead that says I'll get my credit, but I do miss that I can't get the dining discounts. Hopefully I can add a code later. Did you find any way to save on dining at all beyond any annual passholder discount?

My Citi Prestige will save me $1,850 on two nights at Deluxe resorts, which is insane. Haven't had any issue with Prestige air credits, but I did get the CSR's brother (JPM Reserve) that is the same except free United Club. I'll downgrade the Prestige next year since I don't drop more than $250/night on hotels otherwise. It's going to be great but can't beat the free nights!

I was able to get 10% discount applied on my Boardwalk, and the Citi person said that won't screw up the 4th night.

Please let me know how it goes. It's hard to know how they'll verify the charge when I have add-ons on the bill.

Since this hotel has to be booked by the Citi Concierge, they know exactly the hotel rate for each night when they book it. Since they have access to your booking, room charges should not mess up their calculations.

It sounds like this benefit is going to be a little less valuable next year. Starting on July 23, 2017, Citi will reimburse only the room rate, but taxes will be excluded from the credit. Also, they will be using the average nightly rate to calculate the benefit (which might not make a difference unless each night was at a different rate).

It took me 2.5 months to get credits for my (2) 4-night stays from August. After 3 statements and no credits, it took 2 phone calls. They probably wouldn't have posted if I hadn't pushed the issue.

It's been a battle every time getting Prestige credits from Citi. Chase Reserve FTW.

Thanks for the feedback. Were there any real issues with them not wanting to give the credit, or was it just that they didn't happen to automatically handle it? I've heard others seem to have better luck.

I'm planning on converting this card to the free Thank You Point card upon renewal, as I now have CSR's brother (the JPMR), but if I were planning to go back to Disney, I would probably go back to Prestige. The 4th night free at Deluxe resorts in non-club but better view rooms is a huge savings.

I doubt it would have ever automatically processed. The issue probably had to do with 2 things:

1) Universal hotels charge a 1 night deposit upon booking, and the remainder is charged at check-out.

2) The same card was used for incidentals and parking

I'm planning on trying to only use the Prestige for the stay itself by asking them at check-in to charge the whole charge if I can, and then switch to the JPMR. Do you think that'll help?

Yeah, changing cards wouldn't be a bad idea. BTW, even though you have the JP Morgan Reserve, I believe you can still apply for the CSR and get the 100k point bonus, +$300 travel credit each calendar year.

If you cancel before it renews you can get two $300 travel credits and 100k points (points are worth at least $1,000) for only $450 annual fee = 300 + 300 + 1000 - 450 = +$1150.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter