Chunkymonkey's Year of Disney Dining Reviews Dec 2016 - COMPLETED 1/5/17!!

Just realized that I commented about your YS meal under CA Grill. I blame that on catching up here during my night shifts.
I am totally dreaming of having a meal at YS.

It's a very good steakhouse!

Somehow I totally missed this in your previous report. That is an interesting concoction. I do love me some whipped cream. Good thing where I live the canned stuff is fake and disgusting. If I want whipped cream I have to work and I'm kinda lazy.

It was a unique dessert, but they balls melted very quickly once you got them, so you had to eat them right away. 5 mins later they would just be puddles of melted ice cream, lol.

Lemon meringue is one of my favorite desserts!

It has definitely grown on me throughout the years!

J
Great that you had those options as well. While I do love my sweets there has to be some balance

As I've gotten older I fell like my tastes has shifted from sweet to more savory, so the dessert parties initially were too sweet for me, but I like these savory options they have been having.

Nice touch! Love it!

It was cool we got something to take home!

Awww, how sweet.
Getting me real excited to wear my bday pin at DL!!!!!!!

You're going to be bombarded with well-wishers and pixie dust!

Reminds me of the HUGE strawberry shortcake at Hoop Dee Doo which I also could not finish even though I wanted too.
Looks like a solid lunch at GG.

That's too bad about HBD though.

I really want to try Hoop Dee Doo! I made ADRs for our May trip!
HBD was not as good as I remembered...it's too bad as it has so much potential.

I enjoy reading all your TR! Thanks so much for sharing.

Thank you for reading! I really appreciate it!

Somehow I just made it over here - arghhh! I hope you have a good trip and a good time with the 5k! I'm glad your ankle has healed up!

Everything was great about Brunch at the Top except for the price..80pp. Yikes! Thank goodness we had TIW.

This looks soooo good. I'm even more intrigued since you got to use TIW! I remember way back when :laughing: I think on one of your TRs we were chatting about free nights at the Dolphin :thumbsup2 We ended up doing a 4 day trip to WDW last month to see wedding places in person, and getting APs was cheaper than buying tickets for then and next fall. We ended up getting TIW too because I was trying to guesstimate, and it seemed like we we'd be close to breaking even so we did it. I figured that if we had a couple drinks, or picked up a bill for parents/grandparents, I'd be kicking myself for not doing it lol. Another point for Brunch, or really any Contemporary restaurant (and really a lot of points)... is our current plan is 6 nights at the Dolphin on points, and then we ended up doing a Theme Park view studio at the Contemporary for 5 nights (dvc points). So we'll be right there!

I saw you got to use TIW on the CP package too... We did a Broadway Concert package for the Festival of the Arts, maybe I should have asked lol... the worst they could have said was no.

The kids meal comes with a drink so we got some chocolate milk.

Same drink choice here :thumbsup2 That was the main reason I considered kids meals for breakfast in January.

The honey butter used to be a slab of butter drizzled with honey and sea salt but now it's just whipped butter and honey.

That sounds delicious. We ate at Garden Grill, so here is my funny story: Originally we were going to splurge on Le Cellier when we went, because the trip was just after of 5 year dating anniversary, so I booked a 7:30pm reservation. We flew in late on Friday, so our Saturday plans were to go visit the wedding ceremony site, have lunch at House of Blues in DS because we're having lunch there after the ceremony, then go to Epcot. I had big ambitions for HOB because neither of us had been to one, and we got to pick a set menu with 3 entree choices for our guests plus appetizer plus starter, so I wanted to order a lot of the items and split them on this visit.

Then we saw the Festival of the Arts Broadway acts, and the one during our weekend had someone from Beauty and the Beast, and for our first date we saw BATB in 3D... so we decided to switch to that from Le Cellier, and save it for the honeymoon. When DF called in to book the package, because you couldn't online, the only time they had left was 4:00pm. So on Saturday, we started with Mickey waffles at the Pop food court, at 11:30am at HOB we split the philly, pulled pork sandwich, and steamin' tot mess app (I wanted to get the gumbo too, because that's our starter, but we had no room!), and then we went to Garden Grill for our dining package. Our server probably thought we were crazy because we didn't eat very much for an all you can eat restaurant! :rotfl2:

The pot roast, mashed potatoes, and green beans were great, the turkey I didn't care for as much (but I am not a huge turkey fan), and the sausage didn't really taste like Italian sausage, but it was fine. I definitely missed the fish they used to serve. Maybe it wasn't popular? I just thought it was a nice variety before and now it's just a lot of...meat. LOL. Still, a pretty tasty platter. The stuffing was just ok, it wasn't as good as I remembered.

Here's our sides of sweet potato fries and mac n cheese. Both were quite yummy. Mac n cheese is reminisce of Velveeta, but I happen to like plastic cheese...:cutie:

I liked the pot roast, green beans, and potatoes too. I liked the turkey also, because it wasn't all dried out like it usually is (I like turkey, but I never order it anywhere because it's always dry... and I'm a snob because my mom used to smoke a turkey for the holidays, and it was SO much better than the oven lol). I also like plastic cheese... my great grandma's "homemade" mac and cheese recipe uses cheese whiz, though I usually use velveeta when I make it. I had to scoop the goldfish off the top though, they were too weird for me :rotfl: The sausage was fine, I didn't think anything special but DF liked it - but he's never met a sausage he hasn't liked. I don't do stuffing or sweet potato fries... or fish very much, but I think a sustainable fish would fit the restaurant theme better than the sausage. I liked the salad too, and I'm not a salad person - green stuff is for rabbits!

I really loved the characters here! I think that's what has me torn on going back here in September... We've got some family who's going to stay for up to a week in Florida, and we'll probably plan a few days or at least half-days with them. We had so much fun taking DF's parents to Storytellers in DL this summer, because Chip, Dale, and Pluto are such fun characters, and I just think it'd be really fun to take my grandpa to a character meal (he used to go to DL because he grew up out there, but hasn't been to a Disney park since he was a teen). We were the first dinner seating, and one of the only tables in the restaurant, so Mickey came by 2 or 3 times, and the other 3 did not leave us alone :laughing: They were taking our bread basket, our drinks, messing with the little menu cards on the tables... and we got lots of hugs and smooches (for me lol). On one hand, there's so many places to eat in the World, but on the other hand, this would be great for a Character meal - and we could do it on my grandpa's birthday and DF's parents anniversary (they're the same day). But do those tables work well for a large group? Dun dun duhhhhh... We've got exactly four weeks til our (first) ADR day... decisions, decisions!

Love your dining reviews! Just read the whole thing start to finish! Happy to hear you'll be starting another soon! I've been to WDW many many times, and have yet to have an avocado Margarita, or a chocolate covered pineapple spear, two things I'll have to remedy on my May trip!

I loved your review on the CG Brunch at the Top so good.
DD and I have an ADR this Sunday the 12th and are even more excited after reading your review.

Nice review. I read through it all and I am getting excited for my first trip to Disney. Thanks for all the great ideas and I hope we have as great of a time as you guys did.

Somehow I just made it over here - arghhh! I hope you have a good trip and a good time with the 5k! I'm glad your ankle has healed up!

Thanks! Just started my TR. Spoiler: We made it through the 5k! i.e. We didn't die!

This looks soooo good. I'm even more intrigued since you got to use TIW! I remember way back when :laughing: I think on one of your TRs we were chatting about free nights at the Dolphin :thumbsup2 We ended up doing a 4 day trip to WDW last month to see wedding places in person, and getting APs was cheaper than buying tickets for then and next fall. We ended up getting TIW too because I was trying to guesstimate, and it seemed like we we'd be close to breaking even so we did it. I figured that if we had a couple drinks, or picked up a bill for parents/grandparents, I'd be kicking myself for not doing it lol. Another point for Brunch, or really any Contemporary restaurant (and really a lot of points)... is our current plan is 6 nights at the Dolphin on points, and then we ended up doing a Theme Park view studio at the Contemporary for 5 nights (dvc points). So we'll be right there!

I love staying at the Swan/Dolphin because of the fact we can earn and use Starwood points. There is the annoying resort fee and the fact you have to get your own transportation to/from the airport but it's a small price to pay when the cost of your room is free! I love that! And the location is awesome! So close to DHS and a boat ride away from Epcot. I'm currently saving points to get the nights+flights option where you get miles and 5 nights in a hotel (I think the Dolphin qualifies under this) - so i'll be like a free Disney trip! Yay!

I saw you got to use TIW on the CP package too... We did a Broadway Concert package for the Festival of the Arts, maybe I should have asked lol... the worst they could have said was no.

It depends on the package. If it's a prix-fixe meal, then they won't accept the TIW. For Tiffin's River of Light package they didn't accept it because it included 3 courses of your choice and you are effectively already getting a discount. At Marrakesh, since it was order whatever you want, they accepted the TIW card. At least that is what they told me!

Same drink choice here :thumbsup2 That was the main reason I considered kids meals for breakfast in January.

Yeah I'm liking the kids portions...it won't let me overeat as I usually do!

That sounds delicious. We ate at Garden Grill, so here is my funny story: Originally we were going to splurge on Le Cellier when we went, because the trip was just after of 5 year dating anniversary, so I booked a 7:30pm reservation. We flew in late on Friday, so our Saturday plans were to go visit the wedding ceremony site, have lunch at House of Blues in DS because we're having lunch there after the ceremony, then go to Epcot. I had big ambitions for HOB because neither of us had been to one, and we got to pick a set menu with 3 entree choices for our guests plus appetizer plus starter, so I wanted to order a lot of the items and split them on this visit.

Then we saw the Festival of the Arts Broadway acts, and the one during our weekend had someone from Beauty and the Beast, and for our first date we saw BATB in 3D... so we decided to switch to that from Le Cellier, and save it for the honeymoon. When DF called in to book the package, because you couldn't online, the only time they had left was 4:00pm. So on Saturday, we started with Mickey waffles at the Pop food court, at 11:30am at HOB we split the philly, pulled pork sandwich, and steamin' tot mess app (I wanted to get the gumbo too, because that's our starter, but we had no room!), and then we went to Garden Grill for our dining package. Our server probably thought we were crazy because we didn't eat very much for an all you can eat restaurant! :rotfl2:

LOl That's a lot of food in a short amount of time! But hey, I have no problem with that.

I liked the pot roast, green beans, and potatoes too. I liked the turkey also, because it wasn't all dried out like it usually is (I like turkey, but I never order it anywhere because it's always dry... and I'm a snob because my mom used to smoke a turkey for the holidays, and it was SO much better than the oven lol). I also like plastic cheese... my great grandma's "homemade" mac and cheese recipe uses cheese whiz, though I usually use velveeta when I make it. I had to scoop the goldfish off the top though, they were too weird for me :rotfl: The sausage was fine, I didn't think anything special but DF liked it - but he's never met a sausage he hasn't liked. I don't do stuffing or sweet potato fries... or fish very much, but I think a sustainable fish would fit the restaurant theme better than the sausage. I liked the salad too, and I'm not a salad person - green stuff is for rabbits!

Yeah I think my issue with Turkey is that it's usually dry. I did however, like the turkey at 1900 park fare. It tasted more moist than I have had at Disney. Oooh cheez whiz mac n cheese. That just sounds divine, hahaha. I have no problems with plastic cheese. I love the nacho cheese dip they serve in movie theaters. I'm glad you enjoyed your meal at GG even though you didn't eat that much!

I really loved the characters here! I think that's what has me torn on going back here in September... We've got some family who's going to stay for up to a week in Florida, and we'll probably plan a few days or at least half-days with them. We had so much fun taking DF's parents to Storytellers in DL this summer, because Chip, Dale, and Pluto are such fun characters, and I just think it'd be really fun to take my grandpa to a character meal (he used to go to DL because he grew up out there, but hasn't been to a Disney park since he was a teen). We were the first dinner seating, and one of the only tables in the restaurant, so Mickey came by 2 or 3 times, and the other 3 did not leave us alone :laughing: They were taking our bread basket, our drinks, messing with the little menu cards on the tables... and we got lots of hugs and smooches (for me lol). On one hand, there's so many places to eat in the World, but on the other hand, this would be great for a Character meal - and we could do it on my grandpa's birthday and DF's parents anniversary (they're the same day). But do those tables work well for a large group? Dun dun duhhhhh... We've got exactly four weeks til our (first) ADR day... decisions, decisions!

I know what you mean, GG is such a fun character meal and it's not as crazy as Chef Mickey's (which I did NOT like at all). I like it's smaller size and the fact that it's in the Land so very easy to hop on Soarin'!
How cute that it's your Grandpa's birthday and DF's parents anniversary!
The tables do not work well for a large group though. I know because I booked for 11 people and had to split us into 8 and 3. Hopefully near each other!

Love your dining reviews! Just read the whole thing start to finish! Happy to hear you'll be starting another soon! I've been to WDW many many times, and have yet to have an avocado Margarita, or a chocolate covered pineapple spear, two things I'll have to remedy on my May trip!

Thank you so much! We had a great trip! I should be starting my Dining report soon. I'm writing a big TR but I'll pull out the dining posts and put them here.
The Avocado Margarita is sooo good! I'm actually sad I didn't get it on this trip. There were a lot of things we didn't get to do on this trip, no avocado margarita, no lefou's brew, no pineapple spear. Never made it to Disney springs either!

I loved your review on the CG Brunch at the Top so good.
DD and I have an ADR this Sunday the 12th and are even more excited after reading your review.

Thank you! OMG have a great brunch! It's so delicious, I still think about those shrimp n grits!

Joining in! I've loved all of your trip reports so far, can't wait to read all of 2017's!

Thank you and thank you so much for reading!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter