Chunkymonkey + Chubbyhubby's Mem day weekend at WDW = Updated Day III part 3

After eating at Chefs, we decided to head to AK for the rest of the day, we walked out of Epcot and caught the shuttle to AK.

I snapped some of these pics before we left Epcot

wdw-3222.jpg

wdw-3223.jpg

Now it was a hot, humid typical Florida day, but it felt about 20 degrees hotter at AK than it did at Epcot. I don’t’ know if it’s all the green foliage or the fact that some of the walkways feel like a rainforest but I was uncomfortably hot at AK.

We got some lockers to stow some of our stuff since we had brought our bathing suits in case we were going on KRR.

Our first views of the tree

wdw-3226.jpg

wdw-3227.jpg

It was also really really crowded. Like surprisingly crowded. I didn’t think that AK would be this crowded but I am talking about 1.5 hours of wait times at most rides. We tried to get on the KRR ride, but all FPs were gone, and the wait was 2 hours for that! Guess everyone needed to cool off at this point! We had even changed into our swim gear at this point in case we got wet. Oh well. We decided to do a bit of shopping instead.

wdw-3228.jpg

I love these animal pillows! The panda is my favorite animal!

wdw-3229.jpg

I had really wanted breakfast ADRs at Tusker house but unfortunately were unable to score any before our trip. I did get a nice pic of the outside though

wdw-3230.jpg

wdw-3231.jpg

Here’s a picture of me. I am wearing my bathing suit and a cover up. I honestly think I felt hotter wearing the bathing suit but we didn’t know if we would get on KRR at this point so I left it on. Since we never got on KRR I was just hot all day!

wdw-3232.jpg

We did manage to get on the safari though. After about a 90 minute wait! But it was either that or just do nothing so we wait for the Safari. Here are some pics from the ride

wdw-3235.jpg

wdw-3237.jpg

wdw-3242.jpg

wdw-3246.jpg

wdw-3247.jpg

wdw-3254.jpg

wdw-3261.jpg

wdw-3269.jpg

wdw-3276.jpg

wdw-3284.jpg

After our long waits at the Safari, there wasn’t much else we felt like doing. We rode the Dinosaur once, which IMO is just an OK ride. We were feeling a little beat at this point so we decided to head back to the swan. On the way we stopped for some frosty drinks which I downed before I could take a picture of it. I got the coke frosty and DH got the blue raspberry one. Even though I usually don’t like blue raspberry, I liked his drink better than the coke one!

We took the shuttle from AK to the Swan. Halfway through our bus ride, it starts to POUR again! I am so thankful we decided to leave AK at the time that we did because I would have been so miserable being hot AND wet at that point during the day.

We ended up just relaxing at the resort and chilling in our room enjoying the AC.

Here’s a picture of the rain outside the swan

wdw-3285.jpg

wdw-3286.jpg

After the rain begins to subside, we decide to take a walk on the Boardwalk…coming up in the next installment!

Last edited:
great photos as always. Congrats about your new business! :thumbsup2

I can't believe how long the waits were at AK. I don't think I've ever seen that before!

great updates and pics.

glad you did not get stuck in the rain.

those wait times sound crazy for AK.

I guess we can update Completed Trip Reports now!
I never posted the conclusion to our Trip Report from 2009 because I wasn't able to edit this TR but I did a follow up post in the PTR for our next trip in 2010. It's right here.

OK, now I feel complete that I finally finished this TR!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter