Choosing Swan vs WL?

and funny enough we had the exact opposite reaction when we stayed at BC last year… we wished we were at WL . We found BC… chaotic?
Not sure how to describe it, but it felt like we never really left the chaos and frenzy of the parks and while the location of the resort itself was super convenient, once at the resort it felt like we had to walk miles anytime we needed anything (our room faced Epcot - was faster to Epcot than to get breakfast or buses at BC!)
FWIW, we stayed at Beach Club and didn't love it, either. I prefer Dolphin. But I agree with you, I don't get the peaceful feeling at the Crescent Lake resorts that I get at WL.

ETA: except later in the evening. Almost every night, I went out on the boardwalk and bought a snack and sat on a bench looking over the water watching the boats. Absolutely loved it. And you could actually find snacks later than at WL when everything closes earlier.

FWIW, we stayed at Beach Club and didn't love it, either. I prefer Dolphin
This is interesting and makes me feel better - was starting to think we were the only people in the world that didn’t love BC and SAB (could they make a more complicated pool set up??) !

Thanks for everyone’s input. I think I’ve decided that for a short trip and savings of $800 we would be crazy not to give Swan a try.

It’s only 4 nights (our shortest Disney trip ever) so what better time to try it! If we really miss WL, we’ll know for sure if we plan a longer trip in the future that’s the place for us.

and funny enough we had the exact opposite reaction when we stayed at BC last year… we wished we were at WL . We found BC… chaotic?
Not sure how to describe it, but it felt like we never really left the chaos and frenzy of the parks and while the location of the resort itself was super convenient, once at the resort it felt like we had to walk miles anytime we needed anything (our room faced Epcot - was faster to Epcot than to get breakfast or buses at BC!)

For those who have stayed at both WL and Swan, how did the Swan compare in terms of the atmosphere/general busy-ness and convenience to buses/boats/food/pool?
I have stayed at both WL and Swan and in terms of atmosphere, there's no contest. WL wins. My feeling about the Swan was that it was like being in a nice hotel in Anywhere, USA. Even though it's right there on the Boardwalk, I felt outside the Disney bubble, which I love being in.

The Swan is a convention hotel and--to me--it felt like it. I saw a lot of people in business suits in the lobby, which was a vacation-at-Disney vibe killer.

You should check, but when I was there, the Swan didn't have a QS. I had to go to the Dolphin for that, and at the time (this was several years ago), the Dolphin's QS was basically a cafeteria in a basement. It's possible this has changed. My experience there is several years old.

If what you want is a location convenient to Epcot and DHS, then the Swan beats out WL by a lot. As other posters have mentioned, for your MK day, you would want to either walk to BC/YC and take the MK bus or take a Minnie Van, since the Swan buses leave you off at the TTC.

All WDW resorts can get chaotic. It depends on how crowded they are, Impossible to accurately predict.

For Disney atmosphere, beautiful theming, a gorgeous lobby, QS and other dining, and a boat to MK, WL is the best. They also have a lovely pool, as you know.

If what you want is to save $$ and be able to walk to EP and DHS, then stay at the Swan. But be prepared to not have the full-immersive Disney experience. Many posters here love the Swolphin. I was not one of them, but of course everyone is different!

ETA: Sorry! I didn't see your decision until after I'd posted this.

This is interesting and makes me feel better - was starting to think we were the only people in the world that didn’t love BC and SAB (could they make a more complicated pool set up??) !
Several years ago I stayed at the Beach Club Concierge and was very unhappy with it - we left after the first night and went to the Dolphin.

For me that Disney "experience" is way overrated and overpriced.

If people feel that the Disney "magic" is worth it than of course go for it - but I just don't see it and have not seen it for a very long time - like the early 2000s.

Especially with your park focus on EP and HS, choose the Swan. Actually we've stayed in both the Swan and the Dolphin and prefer the Dolphin. It's a shame your corporate rate doesn't work at the Dolphin.

Especially with your park focus on EP and HS, choose the Swan. Actually we've stayed in both the Swan and the Dolphin and prefer the Dolphin. It's a shame your corporate rate doesn't work at the Dolphin.
Dolphin is sold out for those dates (I assume there is a convention?)

I’ve been going to Wilderness Lodge for 30 years but for $800, I would switch…..unless it was at Christmas time. You could do a lot of things with that savings

Thanks for everyone’s input. I think I’ve decided that for a short trip and savings of $800 we would be crazy not to give Swan a try.

It’s only 4 nights (our shortest Disney trip ever) so what better time to try it! If we really miss WL, we’ll know for sure if we plan a longer trip in the future that’s the place for us.
When you check-in request a renovated room. They removed the rugs and installed the wood like floor as Disney has been using in their latest refreshes.They have been working their way down from the top floors since last August. Depending when you visit the entire building may be completely done!

You should check, but when I was there, the Swan didn't have a QS. I had to go to the Dolphin for that, and at the time (this was several years ago), the Dolphin's QS was basically a cafeteria in a basement. It's possible this has changed. My experience there is several years old.
The Swan still does not have a QS dining option. The QS is on the first floor in the Dolphin. No basement needed. Just follow the covered walkway post the boatdock in the the Doplhin building and turn left and follow the hallway.

Dave

I just stayed at Swan for NYE trip after many stays at BLT and Sold 200 points at FW because I hated the studio . It has been recently updated and looks very very nice .
But Swan would be great. I’m not certain your “priority” member will get much there … I booked a room with balcony for living and breathing space .
You will receive a complimentary Swan to foot pedal around the water So fun ! Plus walk across street to the miniature golf and to check out Swan Reserve lobby …
Grab the Swan ! Don’t delay!
Just remembered the Swan has queen size V’s. the Dolphin only double / full size beds …
They might have AAA discounts or Responder / Teacher discount offers too !

We have been staying at the Swan mixed in with WL, YC and other deluxe resorts for over 15 years. It always depended on the special offers available. We stayed at the swan 2 summers ago and the location cannot be be beat! Early rope drop and an $ 800 savings would be a must to me! We always get a balcony room and request a room facing the boardwalk, love seeing and hearing the friendship board! Have fun!!!!

When you check-in request a renovated room. They removed the rugs and installed the wood like floor as Disney has been using in their latest refreshes.They have been working their way down from the top floors since last August. Depending when you visit the entire building may be completely done
That’s great info, as 2 out of 4 family members have serious allergies, thank you!
I already have ‘higher floor’ in my booking preference which sounds like most likely to be reno-ed, but will make a note to ask specifically about renovated room at check-in.

Saving $$$, being close to the parks you plan on visiting and a really nice pool makes Swan sound like the winner!
I definitely want to stay at WL someday, but would save that for a trip where we were spending more time at MK and/or AK.
We loved the Swan last fall and plan on staying again this September.

I strongly dislike the BC, too and LOVE the WL. I'd stay at the WL any time over the BC, even if the BC were cheaper (it's not). I stayed once and didn't really like it and was convinced to stay again and that confirmed my feelings from the first stay. I don't like all the people swarming everywhere, having to stalk more then one chair at SAB, and people sitting on the furniture in the lobby in wet bathing suits. It's just not a relaxing resort to me. I prefer getting back to the WL and taking a deep breath and that sense of relaxation that comes over me. I will admit we're doing a 5N/6N split stay this year between the Poly and the WL. Hope I don't regret it! But good thing is there is a resort for all of us!

Swan/Dolphin just feels different, and there are enough little inconveniences to make it clear it’s still not officially a Disney hotel. I am happy to use it as a first night alternative to offsite with points, but don’t think I’ll ever do a full trip there again. I didn’t get anything as a Titanium member with my offered upgrade really being a downgrade with no balcony.

One other thing to keep in mind, you need to add $45 a day for a resort fee into your equation. Doesn’t tip the scales but just a word of advice for others reading. Between $42/36 parking and the $45 resort fee, add another ~90 bucks per day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter