"Cheating on Souvenirs"

Tinkergirl

Mouseketeer
Hello everyone! Just wanted to share a money saving tip for all the less fortunate people at home that you may want to buy souvenirs for while your having a blast at Disney!!

Lets face it- souvenirs cost a lot of money espeshially when your buying outside of your immediate family! Not to mention if you buy for one, your consince says you must buy for all! :idea: Yesterday while at my local Disney Store, I found a ton of clearance items. I couldn't resist the sale ($3 for a shirt, $3 for a 12' Pulto). I picked up my souvineers for my nephews BEFORE I go to Disney! Hey, the sell the same things down there for a lot more money!! They get a Disney item, I get a HUGE savings and its one thing to cross off the list so I can enjoy more Disney time!!

I know it seems like "cheating" but I honestly believe that only you will truely apprieciate that souvinir that is directly from Disney! And don't forget, only YOU will know where you got it from!!

Good Luck, Melissa ::MickeyMo

You think that's cheating????

When my kids were little I bought stuff at garage sales, carried it down in my suitcase, and had the maid at Carribean beach leave it on the beds from Mickey!

A good souvenier is a good souvenier. And a bargain is a bargain.

...and you get the added bonus of more luggage space since you won't have to lug it home!

I think that it is VERY nice of you to buy anything at all. But, I think that the tag from Disney world would say so and not Disney store??? I just notice that there is a different tag on the stuffed animals that we buy at the store than the tags at the world. Don't know if anyone would notice but just thought I would tell you.

I did this for my 3 cousins and 1 niece on our last Disney trip. None of them knew (or would have cared, anyway). They got lots more stuff this way!

Each of our children are allowed to spend $100 on souvies. I know that sounds like a lot, but it really doesn't get you a ton over the course of a 10 day trip. My oldest loves the Lego store @ DTD and can easily drop $100 on one or two items.

I have been collecting light spinners, mister fans, disposable cameras, glow sticks, etc. to put in their pre-made "Goodie Bags". I will also put in Fruit Snacks and sunglasses. I will pack them and take them down to WDW with us.

Cheating? Nope. Smart? Yup!

Hentob

I purchased new Disney shirts from the Disney store for my two girls before our trip when they were on sale. They had a nice new shirt each day. I also had purchased some glow necklaces and things. I noticed that it reduced the "I want ..." from my girls by having them. I did allow the girls to each spend $30 on something. Basically that's a t-shirt and a trinket or a American Girl-type Princess outfit.

Maggie

I budget a certain amount of money for souveniers for each of us, whether it be for a Disney trip or a trip anywhere. However, I DON'T feel obligated to buy gifts for every last friend, co-worker, relative, neighbor, etc. etc. After all, they don't buy me gifts when they go on trips. Actually, I used to buy small gifts for friends, co-workers, etc., from my travels, but stopped when I had people imply that I was trying to "rub it in". I actually had a 'friend' literally throw back a gift and some pictures from a trip in my face and say "that's YOUR trip. What makes you think I care about YOUR trip? I've had others imply the same thing but not quite so overtly. Now when I go on trips I figure what I would have spent on others and spend that amount on myself. After all, its MY trip!

:earseek: :earseek:

Your friends & Family don't need to know you bought them at your local DS. You can always say you bought them at the DS at the Florida Mall. The Florida Mall use to always be one of our destinations when in Orlando. :earsgirl:

And don't forget the four Disney outlets near WDW! ::yes::
I often see a few of the same items still being sold in the park for full price. Best way to get Disney candy that I know. ;)

I used to buy souveniers for many family members and friends during my travels, knowing that most of them never would go to the places I enjoy.

But as a previous poster mentioned, some people are impossible to please for what ever reason, so I quit doing the "general" gifts as well, and limit purchases to those who really appreciate something special from elsewhere (not always the same people, based on location!) and for the youngest, who usually are happy with any gift at all. And even happier with a postcard addressed to them in the mail! Just be sure to send each child in the family a separate postcard!

You shouldn't feel obligated to purchase gifts for others. It is something you do because you want to do it. It is your money and how you spend it is your decision. Whether you buy gifts in advance or during your trip, the recipients should appreciate the fact that you take the time to think about them! :)

Thats a great idea buying "souvieners" from the Disney Store. My intention with the next trip is to bring all the goodies we purchased on the last trip back. Since we bought Minnie Mouse ears, sweat shirts and beanie babies the last time, they will come with us again so I dont have to buy them a second time.

I'm a HUGE bargain shopper, but I prefer to buy WDW souveniors at WDW. I have found some bargains on things at WDW...they usually have some clearance items. One year I got a cute bank that DS still uses and it was 50% off. I just feel like a liar if I buy someone a souvenior that really came from the Disney Store. Guess I'm weird! :)

When I read your post, I thought it was so mean spirited of people to treat you like that. I say good riddance and save your money for magical moments that please YOU! Threehearts

Our neighbors have 5 children and they all helped to feed and water our cats while we were at wdw. I could not afford 5 full price gifts from a wdw gift shop so they each got a 3.99 shirt from TDS, a 50 cent Mickey crazy straw from the POFQ food court, and I gave the oldest child $20 (she was technically the one in charge of the kitties) I got off easy and they were very appreciative.
I was just cringing at the prices down there knowing full well what was going on at home at TDS summer sale!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter