Chased By a Bear and a Trip to Urgent Care - A Very Merry Dis-mas 2016 TR! **Complete 2/23**

I'm loving your trip report so far! I also must visit Lou and Lil' Joe at "The Living Seas" every time I go! Love them! Can't wait for the next update!

I often wonder if a day will come when I stop calling it The Living Sea? It'll probably happen around the time I stop calling Hollywood Studios MGM.

Hahaha! I do the same thing!

Oh man, the tag! And I don't blame you about not wanting to wait for Test Track - I wouldn't either! I wouldn't even want to wait for the single rider line when there's a World Showcase to explore (but that's just me)

Loving the update!! And the photos without X I kept thinking.. wait, there were two children last time! Where did the other go?! :D:D I love how the boys are at an age where they do can go do things like ride Test Track on their own, etc.

"That's his new family. He lives with them now." LOL :sad:

They have a nice farm upstate with lots of land so he can run, and play...:rotfl2:

Loving your trip report! You have a very nice writing style that I've been enjoying. I like how you take us into your real world back home. Your pretty funny also.

I never realized that they light up the castle in the morning. I guess I've never been there that early. Is the muppet show new at mk? I've never seen this also. I just watched the POC ride in Shanghai that's insane I want to go! Anyway great report so far can't wait to continue!

Thank you so much! I'm glad you're here and enjoying it :-):-)

The castle lights in the morning are so pretty, but they're only on when it's still darkish...it was really early, well before 8am, and they weren't on for very long. The Muppets thing started in October, it's so cute and really funny!

The Shanghai Pirates looks so amazing!! It's on my bucket list, for sure!

I have enjoyed reading your report! Can't wait to read more!

thank you so much! I'm glad to have you here following along :-):-)

I'm loving your trip report so far! I also must visit Lou and Lil' Joe at "The Living Seas" every time I go! Love them! Can't wait for the next update!

Hooray!! I'm glad I'm not the only "Living Seas" person!!

Hahaha! I do the same thing!

Oh man, the tag! And I don't blame you about not wanting to wait for Test Track - I wouldn't either! I wouldn't even want to wait for the single rider line when there's a World Showcase to explore (but that's just me)

The Tag. :sad2: It needs a Twitter account, lol!
I hate waiting for Test Track even when the line is short, for some reason! The kids like it way more than I do, so I was totally fine with skipping it. The World Showcase is more my scene, too!!

Loving the update!! And the photos without X I kept thinking.. wait, there were two children last time! Where did the other go?! :D:D I love how the boys are at an age where they do can go do things like ride Test Track on their own, etc.

It's so nice to be able to give them a little freedom. I feel more comfortable at WDW because they're pretty familiar with where everything is, and even though I was not onboard with them having phones originally, it has ended up being a real blessing for things like this!

Loving your report, all caught up now and looking forward to the rest! :)

Thank you so much!! Hopefully I'll have another update coming soon, I'm ready to keep things rolling :-):-)

Lmao! I guess X was trying for extra Christmas presents last year? Who did better, old family or new family :rotfl:
And I'm dying about the tag, especially since nobody told you. My family would have done the same thing but that's because they are pretty much blind to anything that's doesn't directly affect them........
Oh, and hello fellow Pisces :wave: Feb. 20th here!!
seriously I give X credit for riding alone. While I do it no problem Ricky has yet to be comfortable doing that on any ride and he's older than X. However if I suggest he may find a new family that way I can pretty much guarantee he'll give it a try!

Lmao! I guess X was trying for extra Christmas presents last year? Who did better, old family or new family :rotfl:
And I'm dying about the tag, especially since nobody told you. My family would have done the same thing but that's because they are pretty much blind to anything that's doesn't directly affect them........
Oh, and hello fellow Pisces :wave: Feb. 20th here!!
seriously I give X credit for riding alone. While I do it no problem Ricky has yet to be comfortable doing that on any ride and he's older than X. However if I suggest he may find a new family that way I can pretty much guarantee he'll give it a try!

You know, he is always trying to find a way to work the gift system...lol!!

I may have mentioned them not telling me about the tag every time I possibly could...they hadn't even noticed it was there. I felt like all the CMs were thinking I'd stolen it. But they probably weren't paying attention either.

We are almost birthday buddies! I'm 2/23 :-)

I'm grateful that X is comfortable doing things like that. He literally cares zero percent what other people think of him, which is both wonderful and horrifying (Horrifying because if I wasn't there to stop him, he would go out in public in very not-public-appropriate clothing with unbrushed teeth and mismatched shoes.). He likes little bits of freedom like that...especially at the airport, getting money and going to buy his own food/snacks or whatever. He still hates sitting next to strangers at movie theaters, though! L is not as bold, and is less independent, but we're getting there. Slowly.

Another beginning to another week...

I hope everyone had a nice weekend!

I'm trying to pick my life back up after watching the Falcons lose the Superbowl yesterday. Not that I'm a Falcons fan, but I always root against the Patriots (but I cheer for Trey Flowers because he's a former Razorback...it's complicated :rolleyes:)

Nothing very interesting is happening here on the home front. OH! Except one thing that happened last night.
If you've followed along, you know I'm taking MIL to Disney World in May. This is a gift for her 60th bday, and for us to have a chance to try to bond. Last night she texts DH and says she wants us to throw her a huge birthday party and make sure all her friends are there and she wants expensive wine.

o_O

He responds by saying, "Well, a trip to WDW is a pretty big gift, what exactly are you thinking??"

She says, "A huge party with all my friends and expensive wine."

Now, first of all...for me, personally, this is so far out there for anything I would ever ask of another person, I can't really fathom this at all. Second, if I knew someone was spending a considerable sum of money to take me on a special trip that I am excited about, I would never ever ever have the nerve to ask the same people to throw me a party. And then to ask us to make sure all her friends get there and to buy her expensive wine??

Am I wrong that this might be just a *bit* unreasonable??

Maybe I'm just uptight, who knows?

Well, there's my little drama for now, want to read some more about our trip??

Chapter Seven Part Four

L, DH, and I were beginning to walk toward the World Showcase, Mexico side. X had texted me that he was getting on Test Track, and we figured by the time we got over to Mexico, he'd be off the ride and could meet us over there. Our plan for Mexico was...

It's not a real Disney vacation if you can't ride Gran Fiesta Tour! Since X hadn't caught up to us yet, we didn't ride without him. We kept going toward Norway, because their holiday storyteller was about to begin.

Meet Julenissen.

In Norway, Sigrid is our narrator, and she tells about the legend of Julenissen. Sigrid doesn't believe in him, so she cannot see him...but the audience can! He makes a special noise and Sigrid freezes, and Julenissen talks to us about himself. A child is picked from the audience to help...it's all very cute and funny!

While we were watching, X found his way back to us. After Sigrid and Julenissen finished, the kids went to use the restroom, and I took a few more pictures of the new stuff in Norway.

The Wandering Reindeer. I don't know why I find this name so hilarious, but I do!

A quartet once again, we backtracked toward Mexico for our boat ride chasing Donald through Mexico

Am I the only one who wants to install these fireworks things in my ceiling?? I think they are so cool.

We made a very quick visit to the edge of China, and saw the Lion Dance again...but this time the lion was yellow. I have no pictures, so you'll just have to take my word for it I guess ;)

We made the decision to go BACK in the Mexico direction and explore the Canada pavilion for awhile. We'd never spent any real time there, and we had a little bit of time to kill before our Candlelight Processional dining package lunch at 2pm.

I had to get another picture of that Christmas tree:

I really relate to Kevin McAllister from Home Alone - I. Love. Christmas trees!! Can't get enough of 'em.

We eventually got to Canada, and decided we wanted to watch the CircleVision movie, O Canada.

I don't know how actual Canadians feel about how their country is represented, but my goodness this is a beautiful pavilion!!

I felt a little ashamed that we hadn't spend time here before. We've always made the perfunctory cruise through the shop and took pictures of the totem poles, but that's it. If you haven't looked around here properly, I suggest you make time for it. Even if it's only to get pictures of the recreation of Victoria Gardens.

I couldn't get enough of it!
We thought O Canada was fun...gotta love Martin Short! And as always, the video did what it was supposed to, and made you want to go visit Canada!

After the movie, we had about half an hour before our reservation. That gave us more than enough time to make it, because it was just right next door in the UK.

We looked around in the shops for a bit, and then I went to check us in for our meal. Where were we eating??

Rose and Crown.

Originally, I had us booked at San Angel Inn, because I hadn't eaten there in years, and I LOOOVE the inside of the Mexico pavilion. But when I went back over the menu with the kids, and thought about how we'd all have an app, entree, and dessert, I figured it wasn't going to be a great fit. The boys aren't all that picky, but I knew this wasn't the type of Mexican food that they're accustomed to...three courses there was going to be too much.

So, much to my dismay, I showed them a couple of different menus and they (and DH) were the most excited about Rose and Crown.

R&C is a terrible, terrible value for the Candlelight Processional Package. I will say that right now. We paid way more per person than what we'd have eaten the exact same things without the pass to the CP.

It wasn't long before our buzzer went off and it was time to go on in. We were all pretty hungry, because we'd had our breakfast at 8am, but no one ate that much. It was now 2:00, so we were ready for food!

This restaurant was new to all of us, and I was curious to see how it would be.

It was not crowded when we arrived, but by the time we'd received our appetizers, the room was full. There was a very loud, very drunk group of people behind and to the left of us. They were swearing and shouting, and there were two other tables in the room with toddlers and elementary aged kids that were NOT happy with them. I thought it was really annoying, but my kids were amused :rolleyes:

Speaking of appetizers...

L and I had the same thing, the housemade English pasty. It was chicken and leeks in a creamy sauce in a puff pastry.

It was good. Nothing outstanding, but we both ate all of it.

DH had the Scotch Egg

It is a hardboiled egg in sausage, fried, with a mustard sauce. YUUUMM! I wish I had ordered this. I've mentioned before that I'm not a huge fan of sausage, but this wasn't overwhelming at all. If I had a do over, I'd pick this instead of the pasty.

X had the potato leek soup

I only had the tiniest taste of this. He is not good about sharing food.

So how was round one?? I'd say a 6 out of 10.

I have no pictures of entrees (I know, I know! I'm a failure!!), but L and I both had fish and chips, DH had the grilled New York strip with fish, and X had the regular grilled New York strip steak.

DH and X's steaks were cooked perfectly medium, and they both liked it. X's included the loaded Yorkshire pudding, which I thought was really great. I ended up eating part of it, because my fish wasn't all that awesome. It was kind of blah and mushy. L's was good and crispy though.

Round two? I'm sticking with a 6 out of 10.

Finally it was dessert time, which I was really looking forward to. I had decided on my dessert before we'd even left for our trip! X and DH agreed with me, and all three of us had the sticky toffee pudding

The cake I could take or leave, but the custard and the butter rum sauce?? Oh my gosh. I wanted to lick my plate.

L strayed from the pack and ordered the English Trifle

He scraped that dish clean! I just have to go by what he said, because I didn't get any of it.

Round three? I will give it an 8/10.

Overall, we are glad we tried Rose and Crown, but I don't think we'll ever be in a rush to go back. It's probably a one and done for us. If you've never been, you do have to go through the bar area to get to the restroom. It was VERY busy and crowded in the bar when we were there, it was the first time I ever saw anyone overtly drunk at Epcot and it smelled like someone had spilled a gallon of beer in there. It wasn't a big deal to us, but if that really bothers you, maybe pick somewhere else for a family meal. The only thing that really bothered me was that the lady who used the restroom ahead of me didn't wash her hands before leaving :crazy2:

I think I can get the next update posted in the morning...it will be short and sweet and finish up our Epcot day :-):-)

You are not being uptight AT ALL! That's pretty rude and a slap in the face to demand that after you are taking her on a trip

The Norway storytellers sound really fun!

I love that fireworks scene in Gran Fiesta Tour too!

I liked your pics from Canada and the UK!

I'm glad overall you guys enjoyed Rose & Crown. At least you can say you tried it and now can try other epcot restaurants!

I do think it's unreasonable to ask someone for a big party like that on top of a trip! When Josh and I go on trips around birthdays we don't even usually do birthday gifts for each other.

The Wandering Reindeer is a funny name :rotfl:

I want ceiling fireworks too! Or the Great hall ceiling from Harry Potter...:scratchin

That toffee pudding looks so good!

Wow, I am speechless about the MIL's phone call. What on earth??
So the May trip is just the two of you? You are a very nice person.

Thank you all for making me feel better about my reaction to the "I want a party" thing.

I was starting to feel guilty for being peeved...because I suppose when you give a gift (the trip), you shouldn't impose restrictions on it, but this just seemed so...I don't know! Bold? Rude? :confused3

veruca.gif

It just rubbed me the wrong way.

You are not being uptight AT ALL! That's pretty rude and a slap in the face to demand that after you are taking her on a trip

The Norway storytellers sound really fun!

I love that fireworks scene in Gran Fiesta Tour too!

I liked your pics from Canada and the UK!

I'm glad overall you guys enjoyed Rose & Crown. At least you can say you tried it and now can try other epcot restaurants!

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who feels this way! I told DH that SIL can plan a party if she wants to, and we'll show up with smiles on our faces, but we shouldn't be expected to do both big things.

The Norway storyteller was probably my favorite. It was so funny and cute.
Yes, Rose and Crown was good, and the boys would probably want to go back...it was fine, but there are just so many choices in Epcot that it's shoved down pretty far on the list.

And I could not get over how pretty the gardens in Canada were!

I do think it's unreasonable to ask someone for a big party like that on top of a trip! When Josh and I go on trips around birthdays we don't even usually do birthday gifts for each other.

The Wandering Reindeer is a funny name :rotfl:

I want ceiling fireworks too! Or the Great hall ceiling from Harry Potter...:scratchin

That toffee pudding looks so good!

That's how we operate too. Our December trip was Christmas. I mean, we all got each other a few small things, but not like it would have been had we not taken a big family trip. Same thing when we go in the summer over the boys'/DH's bdays. The trip is the main gift.

Ooohh...the Great Hall ceiling...I would love to have a big dining room with those floating candles and stars!!

The custard cream on that dessert was like heaven on a plate!

Wow, I am speechless about the MIL's phone call. What on earth??
So the May trip is just the two of you? You are a very nice person.

When it happened, I saw DH's face and I knew something was up. He didn't even want to tell me because he knew how I'd react.

Yep, just me and MIL...I thought it would be a nice gesture, but it seems to be giving me an ulcer, LOL!!

In reality, I think it'll be fine when we're there...and if not, I'll send her back to the room or off on her own.

Last edited:
I'm trying to pick my life back up after watching the Falcons lose the Superbowl yesterday. Not that I'm a Falcons fan, but I always root against the Patriots (but I cheer for Trey Flowers because he's a former Razorback...it's complicated :rolleyes:)

Sorry :)

(I actually could not care less about football - it's my least favorite sport - my favorite part of it is watching my college roommate because she's INSANELY obsessed with football.)

Am I wrong that this might be just a *bit* unreasonable??

Nope, you are not wrong at all! That is completely unreasonable and I would have been upset too!

We eventually got to Canada, and decided we wanted to watch the CircleVision movie, O Canada.

I still have never seen O Canada - it's the only one I haven't seen. Maybe in April I can convince Liz that we should watch it.

IMG_8008_zpsq80culut.jpg

I've never actually been inside Rose & Crown before (we ate there once on St. Patrick's Day a few years ago but we were outside on the patio because it was such a nice day and it was crowded) but it's pretty inside!

Neither does Elle, I understand! :)

xlsm what site do you post your animated gifs from? Yeah the MIL request for a big party is a bit much IMO.

Sorry :)

(I actually could not care less about football - it's my least favorite sport - my favorite part of it is watching my college roommate because she's INSANELY obsessed with football.)

Nope, you are not wrong at all! That is completely unreasonable and I would have been upset too!

I still have never seen O Canada - it's the only one I haven't seen. Maybe in April I can convince Liz that we should watch it.

I've never actually been inside Rose & Crown before (we ate there once on St. Patrick's Day a few years ago but we were outside on the patio because it was such a nice day and it was crowded) but it's pretty inside!

Neither does Elle, I understand! :)

I don't care about regular football, but I do watch college football. If you live where I do and you don't follow our college team, they kick you out of the state, lol!!
Mostly, I just have a weird unnatural hatred of Tom Brady, so I enjoy rooting against him.

Thank you for validating my feelings about the party request!! It just seemed so out there to me!

O Canada is fun! The bad part is, it's standing only, which is no fun when you've been walking and want to sit down.

I think Rose and Crown would be nice outside on a pretty day! It was a little stifling inside, but SO pretty.

I don't really like to share food either...but since having the boys, I never get any food to myself anymore. I'm like the mom on commercials or sitcoms who hides candy so no one can find it. Because of that, I feel entitled to whatever I want off their plates...they disagree. And yet get offended when I don't want to share mine...it's a constant battle of wills.

xlsm what site do you post your animated gifs from? Yeah the MIL request for a big party is a bit much IMO.

I just google search for what I'm looking for, save it to my computer and upload it to photobucket with the rest of my pictures.

I felt like it was a little over the top to ASK us to throw her a huge party when I'm taking her on a big trip...I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels that way, it's making me feel better about my initial reaction of disbelief and irritation!!

Hello again!

Has anyone else been watching Santa Clarita Diet on Netflix?? We started it on Saturday night and are a few episodes in. I think it is HILARIOUS, but I haven't found anyone else who is watching!!

It stars Drew Barrymore and Timothy Olyphant, and Drew's character is kind of a ho-hum boring mom character who suddenly gets ill and becomes a zombie, but not in the ugly, skin falling off kind of way...but definitely in the flesh eating sort of way.

If you're ok with swearing and gore, it is really, really funny. Timothy Olyphant is so good at playing the panicked but supportive husband.

Anyway, let's finish up this Epcot day! It's not the most thrilling update, but here is...

Chapter Seven Part Five

I think we had a little over an hour before our Candlelight Processional was set to begin. We began walking over toward the theater, and stopped for a second to see the Moroccan performers

We went to check out the line to see where it would be, and I overheard a couple of CMs asking people if they had their stickers...before that, I didn't realize the little ticket things the server gave us at Rose and Crown were stickers. I just thought they were paper vouchers. So I took them out of my bag and made everyone put them on so they wouldn't get lost.

The line wasn't long yet, so we went back to Japan and wandered around in Mitsukoshi for awhile. I still couldn't commit to a gift for my PTO ladies, but I did go ahead and pick up what I wanted for my two nieces. DH also got a little bonsai tree kit. He went to check out and have the stuff sent back to the resort while the boys and I went outside to get in line for the show. The line was right in front of the Japan pavilion, so we didn't have to walk far.

Matsuriza was performing, so we had line wait entertainment

The CMs started allowing us into the theater before DH had joined us, so I texted him to let him know we were going on in and would save a seat for him when he was finished inside the shop.

We had a small bench in the center between some trees that was just big enough for all four of us with room for our things. It was getting pretty chilly again, and X didn't have a fleece so he was cold and trying to huddle against the rest of us to keep warm.

Another Christmas tree...

Our narrator for the evening would be Joe Morton, which many people know from Scandal or maybe Terminator 2

I know him from the show Eureka on the Syfy channel!

Here are a few not-so-great pictures from the show:

All I could think about was...

So what was our verdict?

It was very nice.

I liked the traditional feel of it, the orchestra was great and the choirs were lovely. Joe Morton was a great speaker...but it just was somehow less than what I was expecting?? I don't really know how to describe it properly. It looked very beautiful. Would I watch it again? Sure, but I definitely would not do a dining package and I'd just stand back outside of the theater to listen, I think.

We had an easy exit from the theater after the show ended, and it was time for our fast pass for Frozen Ever After.

I was grateful for the pass, because the line was about 90 minutes long. The fast pass line moved quickly, so there wasn't time to stop and take pictures, or even look around much inside, which was a shame because it was really cute in there!

It was *maybe* five minutes from line entry to ride boarding

this Northern Lights scene was above the area where you load into the boats.

What did I get from this ride? The reinforced opinion that I really miss Maelstrom :sad:

The animatronics of Sven and Olaf were AMAZING, but Elsa was not working during her big Let it Go scene. Her hands were not moving, she was just standing still. I also learned that there is a ride photo. I had no idea until I saw the flash. That's why we ended up with THIS magical memory:

X and I were trying to stay toward the middle of the boat to avoid getting wet...DH and L did not think about that, and they got splashed. It was a chilly night, so not the best time to be walking around with wet clothes!

We left Arendelle/Norway and admired the view across the water

All of us were ready to start walking back toward the International Gateway and get back to the Boardwalk. It wasn't long before I was distracted again.

I told you I relate to Kevin McAllister!!

Oh Christmas tree, Oh Christmas tree.

I wanted one thing while were were in the American pavilion...Fire Nog. This is just eggnog with Fireball in it. It was ok. If I hadn't watched them pour the liquor in, I'd have never known it was in there. It was the teeniest tiniest cup ever for $9.50. Learn from me and do not waste your money on this!

We said goodbye to the good ol' USA

and walked back home to the Boardwalk.

L and I decided to go take a look at the infamous clown pool since we hadn't gone to see it all during our week so far.

It was pretty, but much smaller than I was expecting. In all the pictures I've seen, it looked huge to me, but it wasn't. We never saw it full of people, so I can't really judge it properly, but I imagine it would get very crowded very quickly on a hot day. Luckily there are two other quiet pools at the Boardwalk in case it gets too busy.

The two of us went back to the room and we all watched a little tv and went to bed pretty early. The next morning was the beginning of our last park day, and we were starting things off with a DVC presentation...they were picking us up at 8:10am!

Thanks for sticking with me this far! We're almost at the end...just one more park day and departure day, then that'll be a wrap on our December adventure!!

I'll have another update posted in a day or two :-):-)

Last edited:
Sounds like a nice end to your day! Although you weren't super impressed with the CP, I'm glad you still enjoyed it!

Hello again!

Has anyone else been watching Santa Clarita Diet on Netflix?? We started it on Saturday night and are a few episodes in. I think it is HILARIOUS, but I haven't found anyone else who is watching!!

It stars Drew Barrymore and Timothy Olyphant, and Drew's character is kind of a ho-hum boring mom character who suddenly gets ill and becomes a zombie, but not in the ugly, skin falling off kind of way...but definitely in the flesh eating sort of way.

If you're ok with swearing and gore, it is really, really funny. Timothy Olyphant is so good at playing the panicked but supportive husband.

Anyway, let's finish up this Epcot day! It's not the most thrilling update, but here is...

I want to watch this. It looks hilarious and I LOVE Timothy Olyphant. But, I don't like gore, so I'm very skeptical!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter