Cash availability but no DVC availability

So is it fair to say, in a general sense, that when a SS or OKW owner trades out for RCI or a cruise, they are effectively "booking" (and removing from member availability) a SS/OKW unit, in that DVC will sell a unit (or units; whatever approximates the number of points traded) to CRO for cash?

So is it fair to say, in a general sense, that when a SS or OKW owner trades out for RCI or a cruise, they are effectively "booking" (and removing from member availability) a SS/OKW unit, in that DVC will sell a unit (or units; whatever approximates the number of points traded) to CRO for cash?

I would say they either go by the home resort of the points traded as you describe or it's a fairly equitable distribution across all properties and dates regardless of the origin of the points. Disney has never provided any transparency on the matter. But if they were cherry-picking villas to maximize hotel revenue, SSR and OKW two bedroom villas in February would not make the list.

But if they were cherry-picking villas to maximize hotel revenue, SSR and OKW two bedroom villas in February would not make the list

Thx. I wasn't thinking they were cherry-picking certain resorts. I guess I was just thinking DVC was prioritizing themselves - i.e., making sure "they got theirs" on the point exchange - over members' ability to use their points.

Again, if the lesson here is "Always book early, even at OKW or SS, even for "off-times," because defaults, cruise swaps and RCI can impact a resort's inventory just as much as member demand," that's cool.

Last edited:
It's not what I consider an "issue". The best way I know to look at it is that the "villa" was used by another member. Whether it's DVC renting it out for cash as it's points they own or getting rented out for cash due to a trade out that needs to be paid for by that rental it means it was already "booked" by someone else. DVC needs to spread out these rentals across the entire year, not just at slow or they risk not getting rented out.

I do confess to having an issue with them renting the very smallest of categories out at resorts that have multiple (I'm looking at you AKV concierge and all of your 5 studios) especially since AKL has a relatively large concierge category, but I can't state that they don't have the right. It's just that I don't think they gain enough to bother removing those rooms periodically vs renting out a savannah or standard view. My other problem is I don't actually think they are following the exact 11 month booking for those or the values either. But for the most part there isn't any other categories that is going to show up as a problem.

So....can anybody give me a guess as to my odds of getting a room for points at Hilton Head over Easter weekend?

(I would have booked further in advance, but our resale contract just went through last week.) :)

There are cash rooms available for all 3 room categories. I have a 2br booked for Friday night (with points) and am hoping for 2 more nights...and I'm flexible on which nights.

I am waitlisted, but am curious: what are my odds of getting a night or 2 with points in this scenario?

So....can anybody give me a guess as to my odds of getting a room for points at Hilton Head over Easter weekend?

(I would have booked further in advance, but our resale contract just went through last week.) :)

There are cash rooms available for all 3 room categories. I have a 2br booked for Friday night (with points) and am hoping for 2 more nights...and I'm flexible on which nights.

I am waitlisted, but am curious: what are my odds of getting a night or 2 with points in this scenario?

You won't know until you are in the system and able to book. Cash room availability has no bearing on DVC availability and available rooms can disappear in seconds. Don't want to get your hopes up.

:earsboy: Bill

I'm confused. If you have a room booked and have a waitlist, can't you see availability yourself? And, if you have a waitlist, doesn't that mean that there are no rooms available?

I see what you are saying, and not to strain the analogy, but the critical difference here is that I never chose to sell the car to my neighbor's kid. DVC did that on their own to, as you said, preserve trading options or monetize defaulted points.

While I understand that need to recoup, I also wonder why I have to be one that's disadvantaged - i.e., not be able to use my points when there is a vacancy on DVC property - because some other member defaulted on their mortgage and forfeited points, or used points toward a cruise instead of staying on property.

Basically, it seems that DVC is "playing favorites" with the points they hold (which they can monetize presently - either by renting on their own or selling to CRO) vs. the points I hold (which they can't). Am I misinterpreting that?

Thx. Yeah, I did call. They were unable to help, other than put me on the SS and OKW wait lists. Maybe I will luck out at the 31-day mark, like you said.
It's been said but to be clear, the rooms in question are not owned by the members anymore and are not open for DVC members to reserve even if sitting empty. Other than the breakage inventory, the rest would simply not be available and appropriately so. How they get the rooms that end up for cash is a fair discussion but it doesn't appear they are doing so other than what they own or the same way all of us do. The bottom line is you're not being disadvantaged but rather the DVC resort is full from a DVC perspective. There are some timeshares that have multiple different timeshare companies in the same building and a member of one system wouldn't expect to reserve within the other and this is effectively the same thing.

If you wanted to use your DVC points to book a trip out of the DVC resorts or use it to cruise, how do you think that is paid for?

And actually you did agree to this, when you signed your contract. It's your responsibility to understand all the aspects of DVC.

I never give the cash inventory any thought at all, I know why it's there. I guess I am surprised that some don't understand how it works.

I have to somewhat agree with Deb&Bill that it does sound somewhat entitled that you do not want others to use their points as they are allowed by contract because you feel it is an inconvenience to you.

Last edited:
I'm confused. If you have a room booked and have a waitlist, can't you see availability yourself? And, if you have a waitlist, doesn't that mean that there are no rooms available?
Sorry I was unclear. There was only one night available to book for points--Friday. I did book it, but I also waitlisted the night after it. I also waitlisted a studio for 3 nights over the same time frame.

So I am trying to get an idea of my odds. It seems to me I have a decent shot at more nights since there are so many cash reservations available -- but you all have more experience, hence my question.

Yes, I can see availability. I was able to book one night with points -- but that's it. So I am trying to get an idea of my chances of having one of the many cash reservations flip to points. Hope that makes sense!

Yes, I can see availability. I was able to book one night with points -- but that's it. So I am trying to get an idea of my chances of having one of the many cash reservations flip to points. Hope that makes sense!
Cash inventory is irrelevant; it won't "flip to points." You're relying on someone cancelling their reservation.

Cash inventory is irrelevant; it won't "flip to points." You're relying on someone cancelling their reservation.
This surprises me. I thought DVC tried to max out occupancy. So if those rooms aren't sold to cash reservations, they would rather leave them unused than have me use points to book them?

This surprises me. I thought DVC tried to max out occupancy. So if those rooms aren't sold to cash reservations, they would rather leave them unused than have me use points to book them?
They aren't DVC rooms anymore. Someone traded out and gave that room to Disney in exchange for a cruise or similar. Those are Disney's rooms now. For purposes of DVC, it's filled.

If you wanted to use your DVC points to book a trip out of the DVC resorts or use it to cruise, how do you think that is paid for?

And actually you did agree to this, when you signed your contract. It's your responsibility to understand all the aspects of DVC.

I never give the cash inventory any thought at all, I know why it's there. I guess I am surprised that some don't understand how it works.

I have to somewhat agree with Deb&Bill that it does sound somewhat entitled that you do not want others to use their points as they are allowed by contract because you feel it is an inconvenience to you.

Gee, let's sort through your high-handed post point by point:

1.) Not understanding the processs was the entire reason I started this thread, as I thought I made pretty clear in my original post. In fact, I conceded - more than once - that I may be misinterpreting things or missing a larger perspective.

2.) I never made any comment on prohibiting other members from using their points as they so desired. I never even remotely suggested that members should not be able to trade points for cruises or RCI.

3.) I likewise commented that I was certain all of this was spelled out in my contract, and that I was in no way crying "foul".

4.) I didn't excoriate a CM over the phone or otherwise stamp my feet and make demands. I fact, I didn't utter one word of complaint to DVC about this. I simply posted a message on a message board, thinking other members could either confirm my line of thinking or offer me some insight.​

Several folks in this thread have been friendly, helpful and constructive in pointing out what I did not know or didn't understand. I thank those people.

For those who chose to throw in with arrogant and snide remarks, I hope you're treated better by others when it's you asking questions on topics you're unfamiliar with.

Last edited:
The best way I know to look at it is that the "villa" was used by another member. Whether it's DVC renting it out for cash as it's points they own or getting rented out for cash due to a trade out that needs to be paid for by that rental it means it was already "booked" by someone else.

Thanks. Yes, that was what I was getting at (I think?) in my post at the top of this page.

So, for example, if a cruise trade cost 100 points, DVC is essentially going to remove 100 points worth of unit-nights from member inventory. Is that it?

Other than possibly the breakage inventory, they'll let them sit empty rather than use them for points. It's really the same thing from their standpoint.

Thanks. Yes, that was what I was getting at (I think?) in my post at the top of this page.

So, for example, if a cruise trade cost 100 points, DVC is essentially going to remove 100 points worth of unit-nights from member inventory. Is that it?

Yes, that's the essentials of most of it.

I see what you are saying, and not to strain the analogy, but the critical difference here is that I never chose to sell the car to my neighbor's kid. DVC did that on their own to, as you said, preserve trading options or monetize defaulted points.

While I understand that need to recoup, I also wonder why I have to be one that's disadvantaged - i.e., not be able to use my points when there is a vacancy on DVC property - because some other member defaulted on their mortgage and forfeited points, or used points toward a cruise instead of staying on property.

My point is you have said you were disadvantaged because some other member used their points exactly as they are entitled to.

You also said that you never chose to sell the car DVC did that on their own, actually by signing your contract you gave them the right to do exactly what you were upset about.

So I am sorry if you took my point to be offensive but I do agree with Bill&Deb that while you might not have meant for it to sound entitled it did come off that way.

Hopefully you will get a cancellation or Member Services will be able to pull a room back for you. It does happen at less than 30 days out.

Last edited:
My point is you have said you were disadvantaged because some other member used their points exactly as they are entitled to.

My point, which I did not think was that complicated, was not with other members exercising their option to trade in points. My question was about what happened after that - when, how and how quickly DVC can sell off those returned points to CRO, and whether that process was always equitable to the members.

And I was very upfront that I didn't know how it all worked and that I could be way off-base. Some folks - most folks - took the time to educate me on how it all works, only without a reproachful tone.

You also said that you never chose to sell the car DVC did that on their own, actually by signing your contract you gave them the right to do exactly what you were upset about.

Never said they didn't have the right to do it under the contract. In fact, I think I acknowledged that twice.

So I am sorry if you took my point to be offensive but I do agree with Bill&Deb that while you might not have meant for it to sound entitled it did come off that way.

We can agree to disagree here. You found my questions to have a sense of entitlement. I found your comments to be high-handed and smug. Perhaps we're both wrong.

Hopefully you will get a cancellation or Member Services will be able to pull a room back for you. It does happen at less than 30 days out.

Thanks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter