Carthay Circle or Blue Bayou?

kirstie101

DIS Veteran
I'm starting to plan a short adults only trip for my 40th birthday later this year. I'm planning one night for dinner at the Napa Rose chefs counter. The 2nd night I also want to eat somewhere we never make it to when the kids are with us. Should I do CC or BB? Which is your preferred dining experience btwn the two? I have had lunch at CC but DH has never dined there. Neither of us have ever been to BB.

TIA!

Totally agree with DL_Forever! Carthay Circle's food is much better, and frankly I like the atmosphere better. Yes, it's cool to sit by the water ... well, actually, when you sit by the water you see all these people either in line for the ride, or in the boats in line waiting to get off, who seem to just want to watch people eating (what else is there to do while waiting?).

We loved the Napa Rose chef's counter. Chef was great, and the food was excellent.
It was a truly unique culinary experience.
I would choose Blue Bayou because it really special eating inside the Pirate's attraction.
It was dark to reading the menu, so we used our phones. The food was fine, but the experience was worth it.
Enjoy your 40th!

We've never eaten at CC (have heard great things though) but the BB was a once and done for us. It was really cool to do once and although the food was good, it wasn't worth the price to us. We also didn't love how dark it was. We like to see our food when we eat! Lol!

Have a great birthday trip!!

Carthay is going to be much better food - I believe it's still under Chef Andrew Sutton's control like Napa is. Depends what experience you want but our food at BB was quite nice for our last meal there so it depends what you want out of your meal.

Thanks for the advice! I do enjoy a nice glass of wine with dinner! I think we'll go with Carthay Circle since we're doing an adults trip. Theres a good chance we'll go to BB with the kids one day but I doubt we'll go to CC with them anytime soon.

I have not eaten at the CC. But I went to the BB for my 40th! pixiedust: It was awesome. I really enjoyed it. We got a waterside table. It was crazy expensive but it was worth it to us. Not something we would ever do normally (just way to expensive) but it was a great way to spend my 40th! Wherever you go have a great bday! :bday:

We have been to CC for dinner 3 times bad have really enjoyed the food each time so if the meal is the driving force then I would go with CC. If the experience and the ambiance is more important then I would absolutely go with Blue Bayou. We've also eaten at BB 3 times and while our last meal there was decent, the first two were not that great. To be honest, the only reason we went back to BB for the 3rd time was we wanted to do the F! meal.

So, short version:

Food most important = Carthay
Ambiance most important = Blue Bayou

If you do go to CC, try the double pear martini!

Carthay! You can also just do the lounge downstairs and eat off the (equally yummy) bar menu + cocktails if you want something a bit quicker and less formal. We like the upstairs restaurant but it's always quite a long meal experience.

Another vote for Carthay. We ate at BB last trip and while I'm glad we did it once, we'll never do it again. We had a waterside table and it was cool to see the boats going by, but the food was sub-par and they really try to turn and burn tables in that place. Carthay is perfect for a leisurely, grown-up meal.

I'll be a vote for different! Blue Bayou, admittedly it depends on your priorities. Experience or food? Experience=BB, Food=CC. BB food is ok but the experience of dining in the bayou is so unique that it makes up for it to us. We were HIGHLY impressed with the food we had at CC last trip, it was superb, from the cocktails to salad to our meals, I'd dine there again in a heartbeat. Unless I had to give up my BB visit to do it. Disneyland trips just aren't the same without that almost magical experience of completely escaping the crowds and chaos of Disneyland in the middle of pirates of the caribbean ride. (Fwiw, a pp had an experience where BB tried to "turn and burn" the tables- we've never had that experience, never felt rushed by our servers and we are leisurely lunch eaters.)

I will vote for BB everytime! While we loved the food at CC, the atmosphere, for us, will make us choose BB again.

Carthay. Firecracker (Sriracha) Duck Wings are amazing! BB is great for atmosphere (especially if you are a huge POTC fan), but food is meh--I prefer Cafe Orleans to it, food-wise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter