Car rental dilemma--need advice

DeeCeeSW

DIS Veteran
Hi all,
Taking another trip to WDW in September and have been shopping around for good rates for a midsize or standard car. So far, the rates I see are way too high. I can't even get a good deal on Priceline (I'll keep trying). My "dilemma" is this--we will be staying on-site for the week and technically don't really need the car for the whole time. My DH wants to go to Universal for one day, which is why he insists on a car. I suggested that we do a one-day (midweek) rental at National at the Dolphin. DH thinks that is a silly idea since we will spend more money for one day and then still have to pay r/t for towncar service to the airport (which, he deduces, would cost just as much as a rental car for the whole week). Any suggestions?

I usually follow your DH logic. A one week rental usually costs about the same as a 1 day rental plus transfers.

Even on-site there are times a rental car is useful.

I'm with your DH and Lewis.

We always rent a car. Lotrs of flexibility and no worry about waitng for a pickup.

herc.

Thanks for your responses. I see my DH's logic too but I really despise rental car companies (had a bad experience with Alamo in the past). Right now the lowest rate I'm getting for a midsize rental is $139.99 for the week (which of course equates to $190 after all those taxes, etc.!). I was hoping to get a good deal through Priceline as I see some people get lucky with $14 a day or $15 a day for a midsize.

I had very good luck using my AAA (auto club) card to get decent discounts with rental car companies. I just started this venture into planning for our Sept. trip (first timers!) so I am not sure of all the rental car companies at MCO.

That being said I have had the best prices/service with Dollar Rental Car using my AAA card and getting Delta Miles for the rental to boot. Last year my sister and I went to Los Angeles for a week and rented a mid-size through Dollar for 121.00 (that included taxes/fees) using my AAA car. I did get Delta Miles but I cant remember how many.

If you are a frequent flyer of an airline check your paper statements each month, they are always mailing me deals. If you have a Delta ff acct let me know, I have 2 codes for Alamo I can give to you (one free day for mid-size or 15.00 off a mid-size).

I basically call ALL the rental car companies I know are at the airport to get my prices. I check the AAA discount, FF discount or any disco codes I find online. Dont forget about Expedia (although I didnt find them to be a much better deal).

For Disney we are going for an economy or mid-size car, I would rather channel my budget to food and activities.

Nicole a.k.a PugLover

Definitely rent! Once you've done so, you'll probably never go back. I have to agree with you, about Alamo, never again. I've had great luck with both Dollar and Avis. Just keep scanning the boards for discount codes. Check entertainment rates and, if you're a member of a warehouse club, they also offer budget codes. I also suggest joining a "preferred customer" type deal, (i.e. Avis Preferred, Dollar Fastlane, etc.), which eliminates the hassle of standing in line and filling out a lot of paperwork. Don't give up! I'm sure you'll find a good deal! Hope this helps!!!!

Originally posted by Kimberlyfamilyfv
we found the best car rental discounts from the Sam's Club Card

I found BJ's to be better. We have both and I don't find good deals with Sam's. The best so far is AARP with a BJ's coupon for National.

Thanks for all the advice. I signed my husband up with Emerald Aisle. I have a Sam's Club membership and we are FF with Continental. I am still getting high rates. The coupons on Mousesavers are only good until the end of June or so. I figure I'll probably have some luck as we get closer to September.

139 a week for a midsize isn't all that bad. Keep shopping around though and maybe you will find something lower. When using Priceline keep in mind you will not get to pick the rental agency and you may get Alamo again. However, I have heard a lot of positive posts in regard to Alamo on this forum lately and espcially since they streamlined operations with National.

The way rental car prices have been don't expect prices to drop until you get a lot closer to your travel dates. Maybe 6 weeks out. remember, unlike airfare, you can cancel a rental car ressie at anytime and rebook again for a lower rate if one comes out with NO penalty.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter