Cape Canaveral Car Rental No One Day Rental?

thornton0511

DIS Veteran
I've tried to book a one way, same day, rental from both National and Alamo after returning from our cruise and it says no cars available. We are getting a rental from National at the Dolphin the afternoon before our cruise, and dropping it off at Port C the next morning before our PAT. I was able to book this (less than 24hr) rental and pay $65 total for the one day. Now that I am trying to do the reverse from Port to Dolphin it will not let me unless I choose to drop it off after 12pm the second day (essentially paying $151 for a two day rental). Is this a common thing for renting cars from Port?

I've tried to book a one way, same day, rental from both National and Alamo after returning from our cruise and it says no cars available. We are getting a rental from National at the Dolphin the afternoon before our cruise, and dropping it off at Port C the next morning before our PAT. I was able to book this (less than 24hr) rental and pay $65 total for the one day. Now that I am trying to do the reverse from Port to Dolphin it will not let me unless I choose to drop it off after 12pm the second day (essentially paying $151 for a two day rental). Is this a common thing for renting cars from Port?
I can only report that we were able to get a one day rental from PC to MCO (Hertz) with no issue.

Many times it depends on whether the specific company thinks it's going to need to re-position cars from one location to another. If they're going to wind up with too many cars in one place and not enough in another, they won't do it.

I can only report that we were able to get a one day rental from PC to MCO (Hertz) with no issue.

Many times it depends on whether the specific company thinks it's going to need to re-position cars from one location to another. If they're going to wind up with too many cars in one place and not enough in another, they won't do it.
Makes sense. I just assumed since it was the same company it would be the same for both ways. Looks like we will have to go with plan B and take DCL transportation to our Disney resort after our cruise, which is fine, I was just concerned with the reports from others saying they had to sit on the bus for eons waiting for it to fill up before leaving. We are planning on leaving the ship around 8am.

We did two, one-way rentals with Budget, no problem, but we went from the Airport to the port and from the port to the airport. Also, it might depend how much in advance you reserve the car. I wish I had reserved it a bit farther in advance. By the time I booked, the first company I was looking at ran out of cars, and then the second company started to go up in price. So I wish I reserved sooner. After all, there is no penalty for reserving, or no commitment.

Makes sense. I just assumed since it was the same company it would be the same for both ways. Looks like we will have to go with plan B and take DCL transportation to our Disney resort after our cruise, which is fine, I was just concerned with the reports from others saying they had to sit on the bus for eons waiting for it to fill up before leaving. We are planning on leaving the ship around 8am.
The buses to the resorts don't start leaving until 9:00. I'd suggest planning on leaving the ship more like 8:30ish. By the time you claim your bags, and make it through customs/immigration, there should be a bus departing soon.

The only bus that really "waits for eons" is the last bus (around 9:30), as they wait to make sure everyone is off the ship.

We did two, one-way rentals with Budget, no problem, but we went from the Airport to the port and from the port to the airport. Also, it might depend how much in advance you reserve the car. I wish I had reserved it a bit farther in advance. By the time I booked, the first company I was looking at ran out of cars, and then the second company started to go up in price. So I wish I reserved sooner. After all, there is no penalty for reserving, or no commitment.
We reserved the going there car a few days ago for March 9th no problem, but can't book the Port-to-Dolphin for coming back on March 13th. The earliest time it will allow me to book this one way is to return in 10am or later on March 14th, which means a day after we are in WDW and the price goes up from around $65 for a one day to $150 for two days. Frustrating but not the end of the world. Surely since we are wanting to get off the ship around 8am we will get lucky with the bus ;)

Have you tried looking for PC to the WDW Car Care Center or Shades of Green? If the destination feels it's full, changing your drop-off location might work. Or I believe Avis, Budget and Dollar all have locations near Disney Springs.

To my knowledge, car rentals will allow an early return and most even have an after-hours return option. So if you have to rent for the longer period you should still be able to return it early. But that probably doesn't help with the price. I'd keep checking.

DCL buses to WDW won't leave the port until 9:00am. "Lucky" might be 5 minutes early. They used to leave as filled, but about a year ago started to hold buses until 9:00am. I'm not sure of the reason; maybe it means fewer stops for each bus so a shorter and more direct ride to WDW. I know we'd be on a bus heading to 4 resorts and if yours was the last of those 4 it was a LONG ride.

Enjoy your cruise!

Have you tried looking for PC to the WDW Car Care Center or Shades of Green? If the destination feels it's full, changing your drop-off location might work. Or I believe Avis, Budget and Dollar all have locations near Disney Springs.

To my knowledge, car rentals will allow an early return and most even have an after-hours return option. So if you have to rent for the longer period you should still be able to return it early. But that probably doesn't help with the price. I'd keep checking.

DCL buses to WDW won't leave the port until 9:00am. "Lucky" might be 5 minutes early. They used to leave as filled, but about a year ago started to hold buses until 9:00am. I'm not sure of the reason; maybe it means fewer stops for each bus so a shorter and more direct ride to WDW. I know we'd be on a bus heading to 4 resorts and if yours was the last of those 4 it was a LONG ride.

Enjoy your cruise!
Oh wow that is good to know about the DCL transfer. I will definitely check the other two Disney locations as well. Thank you! :goodvibes

We reserved the going there car a few days ago for March 9th no problem, but can't book the Port-to-Dolphin for coming back on March 13th. The earliest time it will allow me to book this one way is to return in 10am or later on March 14th, which means a day after we are in WDW and the price goes up from around $65 for a one day to $150 for two days. Frustrating but not the end of the world. Surely since we are wanting to get off the ship around 8am we will get lucky with the bus ;)

My husband and son took the DCL bus from the port to Yacht Club last June ( I bought hubby that as part of his 50th birthday present) while my daughter and I drove our car. ( We are locals and never use the DCL transportation)
Anyway, they got on the bus at 8:15 AM per the letter that we got in our cabin the night before requesting that they clear customs and arrive at the bus area no later than 8:30 AM.
They left the bus terminal at 9 AM and arrived at Yacht Club at 10:30 AM. I think they were the second to last stop.
My daughter and I left the port at 8:30 AM and arrived at the Yacht Club at 9:30 (ish) and checked in and hung out in the club lounge until they arrived at 10:30.

My husband and son took the DCL bus from the port to Yacht Club last June ( I bought hubby that as part of his 50th birthday present) while my daughter and I drove our car. ( We are locals and never use the DCL transportation)
Anyway, they got on the bus at 8:15 AM per the letter that we got in our cabin the night before requesting that they clear customs and arrive at the bus area no later than 8:30 AM.
They left the bus terminal at 9 AM and arrived at Yacht Club at 10:30 AM. I think they were the second to last stop.
My daughter and I left the port at 8:30 AM and arrived at the Yacht Club at 9:30 (ish) and checked in and hung out in the club lounge until they arrived at 10:30.
:eek:

Keep in mind that if you are renting a car upon your return, you'll leave the ship at 8am, then wait for a shuttle to Hertz (or wherever) or take a cab, which will cost you time and money, as well. Then you'll stand in line (could be one, who knows) to rent. By just taking the DCL bus at 9am, you may actually be ahead of the game for travel.

More of a hassle but you could rent one way from port to MCO and then take Magical Express to WDW unless you really wanted the car at WDW. But then if you don't need a car and the price is in your budget its easier to just take the bus, as you said, from ship to WDW.

MJ

Yep.

OP definitely look at Car Care Center. And keep checking. Things can change in the car-rental world!

The car care center near MK will shuttle you back to your hotel. I'd drive to the Dolphin and unload everything then have one person drop off the car while the other unpacks, etc.

Keep in mind that if you are renting a car upon your return, you'll leave the ship at 8am, then wait for a shuttle to Hertz (or wherever) or take a cab, which will cost you time and money, as well. Then you'll stand in line (could be one, who knows) to rent. By just taking the DCL bus at 9am, you may actually be ahead of the game for travel.

This is true. We rented a car on the return leg, for the convenience and the flexibility, not to save time. You have to stand in line for the free shuttle to the rental office (or pay for a cab, might be a line for that too). Then stand in line at the rental office, they go quick, but they were very busy. Then still drive the hour plus yourself. I doubt the rental car will make it much before 10:30 either. Maybe if you get off the boat REALLY early, you can beat the rush to the rental agency.

If getting out early really matters to you, parking at the port is the best option. Have you considered renting the first car for the whole week, and parking at the port? It will cost more, but if you really want a hassle free way to get to your hotel on debark day, it is definitely the easiest.

Something else to think about... (as if you need more suggestions lol)
If it is a 3 or 4 night cruise, you could just rent a car and park it at the terminal for the duration of the cruise. That way you could disembark, get to your car and head for the resort. Just a thought.

Here is the PC parking price guide if you don't already have it.

https://www.portcanaveral.com/Cruise/Directions-Parking

Thank you everyone for your replies. I thought they were all really good ideas! I ended up finding a one way with Avis for post cruise to our Disney resort that we will drop off later that day at the Hilton by Disney Springs. This will end up running us $145 total for 2 one way rentals, and minus the rental shuttles, we will have the freedom to travel at our own pace. :thumbsup2

Yep.

OP definitely look at Car Care Center. And keep checking. Things can change in the car-rental world!

Yep, for sure. Anything can change at any time. I had a car rental booked for my WDW trip from MCO round trip for 5 days for a minivan. Booked it on 12/13/16. Price was $320.00. I just repriced it tonight with the exact same parameters with the same company and it is now $189. ALWAYS recheck your rentals. Prices change all the time.

MJ

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter