Cancelling an ADR and avoiding penalty

My concern is that if Disney feels the the CM's are forgiving the cancelation fee too often due to "illness" that courtesy may be removed as an option.

I was charged once and it was totally my mistake. I simply got my dates mixed up and didnt show. I called and gave a mea culpa, basically saying I'm an idiot and they waived the fee. I wonder if they keep track of how many times you ask for forgiveness? It wouldn't be too difficult to flag people who abuse the privilege.

I was charged once and it was totally my mistake. I simply got my dates mixed up and didnt show. I called and gave a mea culpa, basically saying I'm an idiot and they waived the fee. I wonder if they keep track of how many times you ask for forgiveness? It wouldn't be too difficult to flag people who abuse the privilege.

Disney more likely would pull the hammer down on the cast member's ability to waive the fee. I do think it would be easy to track if they wanted to do so.

I pretty much use this strategy anytime I can... I get a couple looks like "this guys an idiot" but I don't mind.

I've done this, but you have to do it several hours before the ADR or it won't let you modify it. You just change it to a date in the future. The you go back in and cancel it.

Thanks for this. I'm sick, my voice is gone, and it's 38 degrees in Orlando right now. ADR is now modified to another day, and I didn't have to call.

I have successfully modified a next day reservation, changed it to a later date, and then cancelled without penalty. I did this in May when there was a rain all day kind of day that threw a wrench in our plans.

I suffer from severe health issues so ADRs are always a risk for us. But we take them anyway as it's a life for me to keep trying and we don't book that many. I never know till the day if we can go or not. I am settled on paying the $10 fee for a no show I accept I have taken somebodies elses chance. We have never to this date been charged. It's quite odd. I haven't ever tried to dodge the fee either. Like I say happy to pay.

I have successfully modified a next day reservation, changed it to a later date, and then cancelled without penalty. I did this in May when there was a rain all day kind of day that threw a wrench in our plans.
You don't have to modify a next-day reservation. You can cancel a reservation up until midnight.

You don't have to modify a next-day reservation. You can cancel a reservation up until midnight.
Sorry... my mistake- should've said 'same' day. But, it was early in the morning for a dinner reservation that day. So, several hours prior.

Just jumping in to say that I've changed same day ADR times without issue... which includes changing to an early time... and was never penalized. Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter