Canadian Residents 25% off tickets on WDW site **Offer extended until May 20, 2017.

I thought I'd weigh in for those of us heading to DLR. A couple points:

3) I have a US visa under my Aunt's address in the states and use that for all US purchases. Apparently, I cannot use it to purchase my Canadian tickets. It has to be a CC based in Canada. Not sure how I can get around this. I wonder if I purchase Disney Gift cards in the states if they'll allow that? If anyone knows about that, I'd be interested in finding out.

How would they know where your credit card is from? I don't think I've ever been asked for a billing address when processing a credit card payment over the phone. It's possible they could do this when purchasing tickets online, where a billing address typically is required, but I strongly doubt that they would have bothered to update their website to enforce this, just for the sake of this one special offer.

Have you actually tried to do this and been denied, or did you just preemptively ask if it would be allowed?

I asked a CM via chat. When I am trying to pay online and I add my CC, I do have to add my billing address. But here's the thing, I made it to the final step before "confirm" with my US based visa. I think you are right...I don't think it matters where your visa is from. But I will report back later in the month when we are actually prepared to purchase our tickets.

The thing is, this is the same visa that we used last year to get the SoCal local residents tickets (it has a local address near Anaheim). I know for sure that you need a CA zip to be able to order those. I thought it would be the same for the Canadian residents tickets, but maybe not.

How would they know where your credit card is from? I don't think I've ever been asked for a billing address when processing a credit card payment over the phone. It's possible they could do this when purchasing tickets online, where a billing address typically is required, but I strongly doubt that they would have bothered to update their website to enforce this, just for the sake of this one special offer.

Have you actually tried to do this and been denied, or did you just preemptively ask if it would be allowed?
When i paid with my US credit card to pay off a balance on my daughters account I was merrily going along with the automated voice-anger inducing attendant and it got confused with part of my address and i got switched to a "real person" and the only piece of information she needed to verify the card was the Postal Code attached to the mailing address for the card. I was prepared to give her the full address, expiration date etc and she said it was already processed once she keyed in my postal code.

When my MasterCard was comprised a few months back i did some digging and found out that to order sumtin on-line you need the expiration date, the verification code and the address needs to match the billing address or it *usually* won't be processed. Over the phone they need only the last 3 digits of the Postal code and at times they might ask for the expiration date.

The billing address needs to match your credit card address exactly. I live in what is now Ottawa but some of my CC's go to Ottawa others to Nepean same postal, code house address etc. The payments (online) which didn't match exactly were rejected. I use the two city terms interchangeably all the time but apparently it makes a difference sometimes.

Can anyone tell me what the price would be to convert the passes into an annual pass (not taking into account the discount)? I know that we can't bridge the price but how do I figure out the regular cost of upgrade? I have 6 day base tickets so do I take the price I paid for those and minus it from the cost of the AP?

Last edited:
I thought I'd weigh in for those of us heading to DLR. A couple points:

3) I have a US visa under my Aunt's address in the states and use that for all US purchases. Apparently, I cannot use it to purchase my Canadian tickets. It has to be a CC based in Canada. Not sure how I can get around this. I wonder if I purchase Disney Gift cards in the states if they'll allow that? If anyone knows about that, I'd be interested in finding out.

My husband and i both have american credit cards through our banks here. We use it in the us for all our purchases and have bought our disney tickets through here. Since it is through our banks it has our address at home here on it. Dont know who u bank with but i would check with your bank.

We actually got one with Bank of America in the States under my Aunts address. So the zip code is a California one. But I'm still gonna try using it with the Canadian discount and see if it works. I haven't done a US credit card with my Canadian bank. The CM said it wouldn't work but I was in the final stage of checkout and had no issues, so we will see.

When i paid with my US credit card to pay off a balance on my daughters account I was merrily going along with the automated voice-anger inducing attendant and it got confused with part of my address and i got switched to a "real person" and the only piece of information she needed to verify the card was the Postal Code attached to the mailing address for the card. I was prepared to give her the full address, expiration date etc and she said it was already processed once she keyed in my postal code.

When my MasterCard was comprised a few months back i did some digging and found out that to order sumtin on-line you need the expiration date, the verification code and the address needs to match the billing address or it *usually* won't be processed. Over the phone they need only the last 3 digits of the Postal code and at times they might ask for the expiration date.

The billing address needs to match your credit card address exactly. I live in what is now Ottawa but some of my CC's go to Ottawa others to Nepean same postal, code house address etc. The payments (online) which didn't match exactly were rejected. I use the two city terms interchangeably all the time but apparently it makes a difference sometimes.

Oh, I quite agree that the billing address needs to match the address on the credit card, if a billing address is entered, which is virtually always for online transactions. I just don't ever recall being *asked* for a billing address during a phone transaction. I am usually (always?) asked for the expiration date and the CCV number. Maybe they just assume that the billing address will match the residential address, and since it always has, I've never had a problem? I do almost everything online, so my experience with phone transactions is fairly limited. I have run into US websites from time to time that won't accept a Canadian billing address, even for US domestic shipping, which is extremely annoying.

We actually got one with Bank of America in the States under my Aunts address. So the zip code is a California one. But I'm still gonna try using it with the Canadian discount and see if it works. I haven't done a US credit card with my Canadian bank. The CM said it wouldn't work but I was in the final stage of checkout and had no issues, so we will see.

I would try purchasing online. You will definitely have to enter the US billing address matching the credit card, I just doubt that the online payment system will be set up to reject US billing addresses for Canadian residents. I've never tried it, so I could absolutely be wrong, but it doesn't seem like it would be worth the expense to make the required system changes to enforce this. I went as far as the "payment" page just now, and the billing address form certainly allows a US address to be entered, but I can't say for sure that it wouldn't be rejected on submission. Good luck!

What's the advantage of having an American credit card? When you pay it off, does your bank not charge you a foreign transaction fee regardless?
Why not just get a Canadian credit card with zero foreign transaction fee?

What's the advantage of having an American credit card? When you pay it off, does your bank not charge you a foreign transaction fee regardless?
We have a US MasterCard through BMO and the only option we have for paying the bill is US cash. No transaction fees, just the exchange on the cash we take out to pay with!

We have a US MasterCard through BMO and the only option we have for paying the bill is US cash. No transaction fees, just the exchange on the cash we take out to pay with!

Yes but when you withdraw US money from the bank, BMO charges you a foreign transaction fee. It's generally 2.5% but it's usually built into the daily rate so you don't see it. Check your statement, you'll see the rate they charge is much higher than the daily USD to CAD conversion.

You may as well use your Canadian credit card, the transaction fee is the exact same.

Edit:

https://www.bmo.com/home/personal/banking/rates/foreign-exchange

http://www.xe.com/currencyconverter/convert/?From=USD&To=CAD

Note the discrepancy.

We use both.

If you are going to pay it off with CDN $ we have found the no FX fee card makes the most sense. The exchange rate is better than the banks give you. (We even find it better for getting foreign cash. We put cash on the card and get a cash advance at an ATM when we arrive rather than getting foreign currency from the bank. The exchange rate is better.)

The USD card makes sense when you have a USD bank account and either funds coming in in USD or convert when there is a good rate.

The no FX fee cards also offer points or cash back. Our USD card does not.

I have a US$ CC with BMO as well as a US $ savings account. When I charge to my US CC it is paid with US cash I already have on hand in my US Savings account. I am charged $1 for a transfer to make the payment or $4 to withdraw cash. The advantage I see to this setup is that I choose when to convert money from Canadian to US $. Yes I will end up paying 1.5-2.5% fee to do so but I only convert when the overall rate is acceptable. If you watch the exchange rates and have cash on hand to convert and have sit in a US$ account the overall savings can be significant.

I have a US$ CC with BMO as well as a US $ savings account. When I charge to my US CC it is paid with US cash I already have on hand in my US Savings account. I am charged $1 for a transfer to make the payment or $4 to withdraw cash. The advantage I see to this setup is that I choose when to convert money from Canadian to US $. Yes I will end up paying 1.5-2.5% fee to do so but I only convert when the overall rate is acceptable. If you watch the exchange rates and have cash on hand to convert and have sit in a US$ account the overall savings can be significant.

Ya the USD credit card definitely makes sense with the USD savings account.

Ya the USD credit card definitely makes sense with the USD savings account.

We use a USD credit card and also have USD on hand in a savings account. We buy USD when exchange rate is good. The fund is for travel and investment in USD.

I am about to buy Disneyland tickets under the CDN discount and am considering adding a 5-day base ticket to WDW for me to use at Dopey 2018. The Disneyland tickets expire at the end of 2017 and I would be headed to WDW in January 2018.

I do not see on the website where it says, as has been quoted in this thread multiple times, that the tickets are for use in 2017 and beyond. Neither do I see an expiration date like the Disneyland ones, but can someone link or post a screenshot of where it says on the website that these tickets will be good in 2018?

I am about to buy Disneyland tickets under the CDN discount and am considering adding a 5-day base ticket to WDW for me to use at Dopey 2018. The Disneyland tickets expire at the end of 2017 and I would be headed to WDW in January 2018.

I do not see on the website where it says, as has been quoted in this thread multiple times, that the tickets are for use in 2017 and beyond. Neither do I see an expiration date like the Disneyland ones, but can someone link or post a screenshot of where it says on the website that these tickets will be good in 2018?
This screen shot i took from the section "special offers"
upload_2017-1-9_20-59-40.png

I just received a code to pick up my tickets at Will Call - didn't get anything shipped here. They linked to MDE automatically. I will see when I check in Jan 1 if they take our info then, however I will probably still bring ID to the park Jan 2 just in case. Will post later that day and let you know how it worked out.

Can you tell us how it worked out? :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter