Canadian Buffoon's Hi Low Vacation - South Central Musings

There is always a debate Five Guys vs In-N-Out, I say the latter wins. One thing about the fries, you need to eat them immediately. They literally slice the potatoes into the oil and if they sit too long they get soggy, but right out of the fryer, they are da bomb!

I pretty much agree. Liked In-n-Out over Five Guys, definitely. Five Guys got overhyped for me before I tried it, and I think that made it underwhelming when I actually went there. In-n-Out had good burgers, but I guess we haven't eaten the fries fast enough because they've always been a "meh".

However Roscoe's is one of the quintessential LA dining experiences. It could be awarded one of Cap'n O's Homer awards for unpretentious dining.

If/when we get back to L.A., I definitely want to try Roscoe's! I love chicken & waffles. Love salty & sweet together.

The only (and very much last) time I went to 5 Guys there was a big, long hair in my burger. It went in the trash. And I never went back.

Gross.

5B57JuMEyfHce3qL5BOvLasgLTc1_XuBrhIvhkemMqkpfQas0I4flrxhwOtHt_OwWgHQe2uJsCFXxAS0I8pKAKXzq65rsX8zoDinMqFVGQQ7LRZUZWFfxTmAP8BlSUsM9dR-AYplEQDntZ2nqEhUR4zJSNY5iOcgOzH1AKlLd52e5NS2gheLuRCyB2_-gPpign6P5YcLvyxJNF1kAc-ZbbzeSshV7CX9f0zIV4Itw69MjQVinzdhfiajOGWKd64S4S6QficpQi1g76D7Me3fYV0M9XsQVmY62zpn8wLdC8ofr_gtMpRqgeErIoo0l5RTtmO2UFHrc3NH5pZujw6jNvsx49BYM4x0iLl_FH-oWgI0cWAUaA8R3zU7BlnCbg7JA6vdygJVWO356LI7L0jtj2xg0hUc3J23L1AhKxfjYoFtPas0vXJ1LhzRoY6PeV4lyz09IHyl1vIJ8iX6A4IOOFYYdpe_IBggT70bpPCoe0vqVUjusn5KvSVsvdiT9Sds2W73no_xKZ8zW9yJoF3HSyVCPtB_38UHOLuda3Ogd9g6DWCHNk6OY62ePFqrXrnDCKzJXlemPr1ZCPYym3_Gm6vpmcuINFrnVQ2lAbG8XLrq8fli3JpI=w66-h34-no

Now Shake Shack? THAT is the bomb.

::yes::

We just had a Shake Shack open here in Delaware and I tried it for the first time recently. That was really good!

Shake Shack > In-N-Out > Five Guys.

Only thing I didn't like was the price. Manhattan prices in Delaware make it difficult to go very often.

Well hello strangers!

I'm finally going to get to some shout outs today!

And!

I'm going to get to writing the next update.
I've actually done about 1/4 of it already.
Who knows?
Might be done tomorrow....

It's one of those mysteries of life, ya know.

Now if you'll excuse me,
I have some shout outs to get to....

Well pooooh! (and not the fuzzy yellow honey loving one!)

Gross!!! Keep your feces to yourself!!!!

:lmao:

I didn't hear your screaming at me through my turned off tablet that you were about to post an update!

And yet I was specifically yelling
in your direction!

Stupid tablet!

You threw it out, right?
Some things just will not do.

I am sad I missed the last contest questions!

Never too late for bonus points.
Just sayin'.

I am pretty confident you have seen my Holiday crazy sewing /crafting stuff on Steppesister s TR so I won't bore you with it here.

I did!

My jaw may have dropped in awe.

Well I refuse to give up so.... Here are the current answers and I sent you a pm for the bonus! Need all the points I can get to try to catch up!

Got your PM! :)

Rhino Mary with your horn so Shiny
How many boyfriends have you had?
1 for counting all the stars at night
As they reflect off her horn so smooth and bright.
1 for dragging hay out of everyone else's sight
To fill her belly without dinging up her horn in a fight
1 to Oooo and awwwwwww at the gleaming shine
When her beautiful horn reflects off the pond so fine!
1 to make a space at the watering hole for free
So she can strut right in raising her new horn for all to see!
Rhino Mary with your horn so Shiny
How many boyfriends have you had?
4 boyfriend total since her horn had been done
4 boyfriend total to watch her horn shine in the sun.

:eek:

Holy crap!
(What is with the feces today???)
I think you may have just earned yourself
a little bonus there.
<slow clap>

A
Epcot
Yes
A
A
9:30
9 minutes

Noted.

OK so you don't have anything monumental to change my recipe. I'm getting bored with all my soup recipies.

Nope. Sorry!
Not that kind anyway.

I put a can of chopped tomatoes in my beef stew along with kidney beans, mirepoix, and chopped potato and green beans.

pkondz does not do kidney beans.

Ever.

Ever.

I only got to try one of my grandma's soups and that was when I asked her to make Clam Chowder so I could see how to do it. I actually didn't really like her version.

Well, that's too bad.
Grandma's soup is supposed to be the best.
Mine's was.

So not commercially available....

Not in the States at least.

Yeah, I get this. We are pricing out a trip to Houston for next year's band conference, and not including the conference charges, (hotel rooms, meals, etc) flying vs driving will cost between $1.5K to $3K. That's in addition to once we are there at the hotel and need to pay for meals and stuff.

I'm trying not to look too much
at what this is all going to cost.

Yeah, I get that, I have always looked at Canada as the land of 30% discounts.

oh do be quiet.

:sad:

Didn't know about that one! Yikes! But it sounds like it would be a trip of a lifetime.

I hope so.
I hope she goes with the right attitude.
Not sure if she will.

Well it's not like we have any friends who see us outside of band or other scheduled activities. So there isn't anyone who could tell you other than maybe our cleaning lady.

Know a good P.I. in your area?

Whoops! Nevermind.

Of course! :teeth:

Sweet.

that would be so like you!

:laughing:

Yeah, it just adds to our choices for places to eat.

Oy. I'm going to show Kay
the CS list and see what appeals.

I already know that she definitely
wants a corn dog from... a cart?
I keep hearing about the best corn dog at DL.

Actually talked about it this morning.
She said "Alison will know. She'll just point and say '10 paces that way.'"

However I have more points at the Grand Californian than any other resort, even if it is only 1/2 and hour away from home.

CGH... that's what I meant. Not GF. :sad2:

When they first started the F&W Festival at DCA, we used up some points that were going to expire by staying over at the GCH after some wine dinners at the hotel. I realized on that trip that if I wanted to stay overnight on future F&W events, I needed to own points there. I realized that first year that since it is the smallest DVC that using my other resort points at 7 months was going to be risky on availability. So I bought some. The first year, I blew through my VGC points and then my SSR points. And this was pretty much the first year the VGC opened. So I bought more points. Actually I own more points at the VGC than anywhere else. But they were mainly so we could stay over during F&W events.

Okay.

Then in 2011 they canceled F&W. AHHHHHHH! You should have heard me scream!

So that's what that noise was!

This explains so much.

used my points by booking us up for other events including a mid week weekend every February where we just chilled, went out to dinner and had a good time.

nice.

Well this year I was set! I booked every weekend after Easter at the VGC so that I could cancel the ones we didn't want. Because it was always starting the weekend after Easter, so what do they do? Start it six weeks BEFORE easter!

So it's your fault.

If the ones during your visit come through that would prove to be interesting.

Why?

In n Out is good. can be LONG lines, but they make fresh when you order. And their fries!!
chicken and waffles sound good! I don't have a specific place to go to get that. I could ask my cousin. If you want. :)

There are two In-N-Out locations near Disneyland. The new one at Ball and S State College is now closest. The one at Harbor and Orangethorpe was previously the closest. In-N-Out is awesome as long as you want a good burger. Their menu is rather limited, even taking the secret menu into account. There is always a debate Five Guys vs In-N-Out, I say the latter wins. One thing about the fries, you need to eat them immediately. They literally slice the potatoes into the oil and if they sit too long they get soggy, but right out of the fryer, they are da bomb!

Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles is THE place in LA. Luckily you don't have to visit any of their locations in the sketchy areas of LA. Long Beach used to have the closest location to Anaheim. But a new location opened up about 2 1/2 years ago on Harbor Blvd, just a few blocks down from the park. I glanced at Yelp and the reviews are all over the place. However Roscoe's is one of the quintessential LA dining experiences. It could be awarded one of Cap'n O's Homer awards for unpretentious dining.

See below.

Five Guys is barf. Greaseball burgers and pale, limp, rubbery wormy fries.

We don't have In-N-Out so I can't comment on that.

Interesting. Our Five Guys up here is quite good.
Not as good as some of the local places, but pretty good.
Never had an issue with the fries either.

Hmmm..... local variation? Have you tried others?

I've heard of Clearman's Galley, never been there. San Gabriel, Arcadia, etc is a good hours drive from Anaheim....just sayin'

Yep. Saw that. I don't think it's going to happen.

I didn't think it would be my thing either. Fran had to really convince me to go. I kept telling her that sweet and savory were not meant to be mixed. The way she finally put it when I gave in was, "You like Sweet and Sour Chicken right?" It's not my favorite (or in my top 5), but since I don't hate it, I gave in and tried chicken and waffles. It ended up being pretty good!

Well, that's good to know.
Funny. I had the exact same thought.
"Well, I like Sweet & Sour Chicken..."

Just catching up on chatter here. (Will reply to update soon-ish, Ponzi)

No rush. Got at least another day.

The only (and very much last) time I went to 5 Guys there was a big, long hair in my burger. It went in the trash. And I never went back.

Gross.

Meh. Hair happens.
If I get one (very rare... but it does happen)
I won't hold it against the restaurant.
I will ask for another meal.
(Unless I got it to go and can't.)

If it happens twice.... then that's a trend.

Weird! We LOVE Five Guys!!! Don't go too often though because there's not one really close to my house and they are kind of pricey. But I love their hamburgers and especially the fries!

They are kind of pricey.
A bit too pricey considering what you get.

I've got much better places for less.

So, I remembered that I used to go to Tommy's quite a bit. I'd be up for finding one of those for sure!

Funny thing is that there are Roscoe's, In-N-Out, AND Tommy's all near my house!

What's a Tommy's?

So I asked Kay yesterday.
Me: "In n Out?"
Kay: "Meh. If it happens. Fine."
Me: "Chicken and waffles?"
Kay: "75% yes. If we can."
Me: "There's a good place near our hotel.
One of the best places apparently."

Know what she said?

Kay: "Roscoe's??"

It just went from 75% to "must do".

Frankly I wish some would leave... :rolleyes1

Anyone in particular???

But that's not even a political statement. Frankly, I'd be tempted to leave the country no matter which one of our 2 crappy choices won. But this is my home so screw 'em. I just wish they'd go away. Both of them. We lose either way.

I do like our VP elect better than our pres though... so I'm holding onto hope for an impeachment.

mmmm.... peaches. I love peaches....

Wait. That's not what you meant, right?

Looks like fun! I know you're doing it for Kay, but I hope you might be able to work more than 1 day at DL.

Well... actually.... make that..... two days now.
Her request.

Cry me a river you entitled brat. :rolleyes1

:lmao: Okay. That was good.

I know some guys who never wear shorts unless they're at a pool. I'm not one, but they're out there.

Yep

Or twenty...

Well, sure... that's the theoretical max time.
But I'm sure it never happens.

Well played. I was going to post a meme, but you beat me to the punchline.

Where's my slow clap?

Hey!!

Um... well, you seem to have handled it better than I probably would have.

Like I mentioned,
pretty sure she was special needs.
That makes it easy to forgive.

I see what you did there... well played.

Still no slow clap???
What the what?

You just don't want to do that much math.

Well... yeah. That too.
I only have so many fingers.

Those are still better than any I've taken. :rotfl:

:) Thanks!

Nothing to be mortified about. It happens. You recognized it and moved. There are others who would do it intentionally and suddenly not speak English.

:rolleyes: I wonder to whom
you could be referring?

Ok, you might be a total Disney noob, but always take an extra pair of shorts, and always carry a cheap poncho.

It's basic advice, but it makes a world of difference.

And I know it!
This was, after several Disney trips,
the first time I didn't have a poncho with me.

The shorts.... well, that's just stupid of me.

Seriously? Why?

If it took that much work to get that far why would you even try to keep going. Call in sick/stuck/screw it.

<sigh>
Because.
Because I was sick
and because I was mentally
and physically exhausted.

Once I got started,
I couldn't stop.

I had to get it done.

If I'd had some sleep...
I'm sure I just would've laughed
and said "Nope!"

It's a good movie, but that's some dedication going to see it after all you'd been through.

Was it good?
I don't remember chuncks of it.

:rolleyes:

Ironically, most people forget December 31.

:laughing: Good point!

Been there, done that.

Like I said... standard stuff.

It was cool! Never heard that IRL before.

Well, that depends. Are we talking real boyfriends or for show? I heard she's in the closet.

And where exactly did you hear that???

It's Mabel, isn't it.
She's the worst of the lot.

Nah, more like a massage.

Actually... yeah!

That's a ringing endorsement for Harambe Market. :rotfl2:

:laughing: Sorry! It is what it is.

You screwed up, just missed a bus and it was still only 14 minutes???? You suck.

:rotfl:

A

EPCOT

Yes

A

A

9:30

12 minutes

Noted.

It's gotta be hard in a situation like this when you're so close to DL and it isn't like you get to go there all that often. But very noble of you.

Nah. Just doing what Dads do.
Same as you, buddy.

Again, totally understand. DW isn't into it at all. I actually will only try to meet up with someone if I'm by myself. If I'm walking through the park with the family and see someone... well I'm not really stuck up but I'm not going to stop and say anything.

Yep. My DW neither.
I might stop, but it'd be brief.

Eh, true, but if they might be over that way, it may be not too bad to stop by. When/if given the chance between In-N-Out or the Boat, I choose the boat each time! Their burgers are SO GOOD!!! Both are delicious, but the Boat gets my vote every time. lol ;) :)

If you are ever able to go, you wont regret it.

I miss Cali so much! Makes me want a trip back so badly now

Interesting. Well, like I mentioned,
I don't think I can make it over there.
Just no time.
But you never know.
I'll program it into the GPS and... who knows!

1. Where am I heading next? B another resort

2. Which park do I go to next? Epcot

3. Next park. Extra security. Yes? No? Yes

4. How many parks do I do today?
(Hint: between 1 and 4!) 2

5. Fast pass. I got one. To what?
(Hint: Get the park right and this is easy.)
a. Frozen

6. What did I try for the first time?
(Hint: Get the park right and this is easy.
Whoa... deja vu.)
a. Rice pudding

7. What time do I leave the park for the night? 10:35

8. Last bus of the day. How long do I wait? 15 minutes
Bonus: She has 3 boyfriends.

Noted.

Got it!

Hey I like the Alien eyes in this photo - like they are mocking you for spending all the time shoveling.

Not alien at all.
Just Canadian snow gremlins.

You don't have them out east?

Trying to catch up around here! Have to say though, my 5 guys experience wasn't great, but only because my kids are so picky and they put some kind of spice on the fries...and...did not go over well...sigh.

Hmmm.... I don't think they do that here.
Not that I can recall anyway.

Now Shake Shack? THAT is the bomb.

Oh? I see there's one just down the street from where we'll be.
Hmmmmm....

Wow. Looked at photos of the food!

Anyway...back to trying to catch up on the actual conversation lol

Good luck! :lmao:
I'm still trying!

I pretty much agree. Liked In-n-Out over Five Guys, definitely. Five Guys got overhyped for me before I tried it, and I think that made it underwhelming when I actually went there. In-n-Out had good burgers, but I guess we haven't eaten the fries fast enough because they've always been a "meh".

Okay. Another vote for In n Out over 5 guys.
Still... probably not gonna happen.

If/when we get back to L.A., I definitely want to try Roscoe's! I love chicken & waffles. Love salty & sweet together.

Ha! I'll bet I'm there before you are!

Shake Shack > In-N-Out > Five Guys.

Okay. Sold!

Only thing I didn't like was the price. Manhattan prices in Delaware make it difficult to go very often.

Good food costs, no?

Questions, next round:

1. Where am I heading next?
a. Another Park
b. Another Resort
c. My resort
d. Disney Springs
e. Other. Because... other.

T_Man: Another Resort
Lady H: Other

2. Which park do I go to next?

T_Man & Lady H: Epcot

3. Next park. Extra security. Yes? No?

T_Man & Lady H: Of course. Why stop now.

4. How many parks do I do today?
(Hint: between 1 and 4!)

T_Man & Lady H: Well since you said Parks, there's a minimum of 2 at least. So we're going 2.

5. Fast pass. I got one. To what?
(Hint: Get the park right and this is easy.)
a. Frozen
b. EE
c. 7DMT
d. TOT

T_Man & Lady H: A. Frozen

6. What did I try for the first time?
(Hint: Get the park right and this is easy.
Whoa... deja vu.)
a. Rice pudding
b. Giraffe marshmallow pop
c. Nutella waffle
d. Butterfinger cupcake

T_Man & Lady H: A. Rice Pudding

7. What time do I leave the park for the night?

T_Man & Lady H: 10 PM

8. Last bus of the day. How long do I wait?

T_Man: 10 Minutes
Lady H: 20 Minutes

Given the last standings, and being we haven't gotten down on our hands and knees yet to beg the amazing pkondz :-)sad2:) for our free bonus points, I guess this is the point in the TR we ask for our bonus points oh amazing pkondz. :worship:

This can either make us or break us.

Not alien at all.
Just Canadian snow gremlins.

You don't have them out east?
Oh yes of course we do but they don't show up very often since we don't have a lot of snow here. Here today gone tomorrow. Shovel and shovel and the next day green grass - go figure. Well that is Toronto for you. :cool2:
Judy

I already know that she definitely
wants a corn dog from... a cart?
I keep hearing about the best corn dog at DL.

Actually talked about it this morning.
She said "Alison will know. She'll just point and say '10 paces that way.'"

The little red cart at the end of Main Street. People rave about it. I like it well enough, but if I were to pick the best Corn Dog on property I'd have to go with the Corn Dog Palace in DCA. They offer a hot link, a regular hot dog and a cheese dog. I mean deep fried cheese in a corn batter on a stick. It's hard to beat that!

One time in September we went out to Disney for a Corn Dog and the wagon was actually closed because it was too hot inside for the employees to work. In that case we ended up at the Stage Door Cafe, which also had pretry good corn dogs, but still I like the Corn Dog Palace.

What's a Tommy's?

Tommy's has a pretty similar function as Roscoe's, a great late night place for folks to sober up after a night of drinking. All the burgers are doused in Tommy's famous chili. I remember in college, at parties in the dorm (my freshman year) we would send a party to fetch, and then we all had indigestion for rest of the night! :laughing: I don't think I've had a Tommy burger in 30 years, but I mentioned it to a few folks and they all said that if you need your intestinal tract cleaned out, Tommy's is the one!

pkondz does not do kidney beans.

Ever.
How do you eat chili then?

When I make it out to DL I'm definitely going to In n Out. We don't have them out here. Betsey said she would take me.
DH wants to go to 50/50 place that he saw on TV. Their burgers are made with half beef and half pork.

I would answer now but My laptop is about to die. DO I still have time?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter