Can you rent a cell phone for your vacation?

musicfan

Mouseketeer
I live in Maine, and there are almost NO cell phone options here. We're 20 years behind the times. So for you people living in civilization, is it possible to rent cell phones on a short-term basis (a month) once you get to Orlando? I have a cell phone, but I have a teenage son (15) who will want to go off on his own occasionally. This usually involves going to Disney Quest or another park, so the two-way radios aren't an option -- they don't have the range (at least none that I have seen do).

I would love to be able to rent a cell phone for him for the duration of our vacation (the month of July). Has anyone ever done this, or heard of it being done?

Are you renting a car? If so, (at least at Budget) they rent cell phones. I just returned and when I picked up the car the agent asked me if I would like to rent a cell phone. I had my own and declined so I don't know what the rates are. It may be worth a call. That way there is not a separate trip somewhere else to rent & return it. If you are not renting a car I don't know of anywhere but I'm sure there are places near Disney that do it. If there isn't do you want to go into business together doing it - we could make a bundle I'm sure. Have a good trip.

I know there are at least a few companies that rent cell phones. We rented Nextels for a 6 day trip in Dec 2000, but I can't for the life of me remember the name of the company. They even delivered the phones to the checkin area at CBR. I'm sorry I'm not much help as far as companies or cost go, but I do know that it's possible to rent them! :)

You most likely rented from InTouch
Communications but I don't think they
are in business anymore.

I don't know of any others. sorry

Thanks, MHolleman -- the allradio site rents only 2-way radios, which would cost me $30 a day -- too much for me, I'm afraid. I've e-mailed the other site, which appears to rent cell phones as well as radios, to get a price quote from them.

Thanks for the information! Oh, and Disneyspells -- we're driving down so won't be renting, but I agree that this is an area which could be exploited for profit! Although maybe not, the rest of the country probably has sufficient cell-phone saturation. It's just here in the frozen north that they're a novelty.

Well, the intouch e-mail I sent was just returned as undeliverable, so I guess they are no longer in business.

ATT is offering a trail month of a cell phone. You are only responsible for the phone calls if you return it!

Here's an article on disposable cell phones...apparently they aren't on the market yet.Disposable Cell Phones Are Closer to Reality

The Augusta Chronicle Scripps Howard News Service 04/02/2002

Disposable cell phones were promised to offer all the convenience of wireless phones and more - no contracts, no hidden fees and you can toss them when the minutes run out.

Just one problem: We're still waiting.

Over the last two years, companies have burst through the revolving door of the disposable cell phone market. They've been saying that soon they'll offer consumers little phones that can be used like a phone card, with prepaid minutes that can be used anytime, anywhere.

But despite sporadic product announcements, the first batch of phones is still in pre-production, with the earliest arrivals not expected until this summer.

New Horizons Technologies in Orlando, Fla., has received a stamp of approval from the Federal Communications Commission - the last major step before production. The company is churning out its first batch in a small factory in Tallin, Estonia. It expects to soon open a full-time production plant in Monterrey, Mexico, and begin selling phones in May or June, said Stephen Romeo, the company's vice president of sales and marketing.

The release was pushed back so the firm could redesign the phone to add more features, shrink its size and make it headset- compatible.

The New Horizons model, expected to sell for about $50, will look and act like a standard cellular telephone. Each owner will get a telephone number to accept calls, and will be able to dial out.

Users will call through a toll-free service, as with prepaid phone cards. And the service will allow a phone owner to "recharge" minutes after the first hour of calling time expires, Mr. Romeo said.

"It's really the ultimate phone card because it's just the phone card with the phone," he said. "There are a lot of people who have not gotten into the wireless world because of the cost of cellular products."

Another company, Hop-On Communications in Garden Grove, Calif., announced this month that it will team up with the Chinese company Holley Communications. Holley has received Federal Communications Commission approval for its phone technology.

Though Hop-On phones were part of a Universal Studios promotion for the DVD release of Jurassic Park III last fall, the devices - expected to cost about $30 for 60 minutes of talk time - will not be manufactured or distributed until this summer.

The disposable-phone industry will cater mostly to frequent travelers who need a cellular phone, particularly for phone service abroad, as well as those who can't, or won't, sign contracts with cellular companies: the under-18 crowd and people with poor credit.

Companies say those customers are the last big frontier of potential mobile-phone customers.

Well, I really appreciate all the information you all have posted!

At this point, it looks like I'm going to have to just get another cell phone from my present company. It's no more expensive than the short-term walkie-talkie or cell phone rentals, and we could probably use another cell in this family, anyway. :rolleyes:

You could buy a trac-fone from wal-mart, I beleive I payed 39.97 for mine then you buy the minute cards my son takes mine with him so we can get in touch with him on dad's.

Hi, my husband and I purchased tracfones a year ago and they've been great.

We got them for $40 at Ames, with a $30 rebate or $50 phone card rebate. I even noticed in a KMart that was closing that they were selling them at 20% off!

We've used ours in the parks, and even found them helpful when I had to take ds to the hospital for a double ear infection.

If you're just planning on using them in the parks, a suggestion. Wait until you're down there to activate them, then you can get local numbers and pay one unit per minute of calling time. Otherwise, its two units per minute.

I'm about to pick up 2 ways with a five mile range-never used them before, but figured that we would also use them at home, now that older son wants to ride his bike around the neighborhood.

Good luck!!

Suzanne

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter