Can you remember your first time visiting the world?

I went with my family in January of 1977. I was 8 years old. We went to the Magic Kingdom and I loved POTC and the HM, hated Space Mt. We also rode the monorail through the Comtemporary and I remember thinking wow. We also visited a restaurant and some shops which were the precursor to Downtown Disney, and Discovery Island which is deserted now(I think). I couldn't wait to go back and at age 21 my fiancee and I returned and have been back every year since except one. Of course we also have a third member in our group DD who talks about going back every day she is not there year round.

1975...I was 10 and I have been an addict ever since my next trip will be number 14, it has been 10 yrs since I was last there and I cannot wait :bounce: I got married 94 and the time has never presented itself, but now life has settled back down I have two boys who will be 5 and 2 when we go(May 04). I cannot wait to see the expressions on their faces when they finally see that big castle at the end of Main Street and hear the music thats is always playing in the background like the sound track of some movie you are in, and the smells of popcorn and other snacks being made. Does anyone else have something that triggers a memory of Disney? It may seem strange but a smell that always brings me back to Disney is the smell of diesel fumes because of the boats and buses, that and a smell on the other end of the spectrum but I dont get to smell to often being from up north is orange blossems, because on my first trip Orlando still had tons of Orange orchades(spelling yikes:confused: ) and I remember standing on the balcony of the Golf Resort(Shades of Green for those of you who dont remember it) and smelling that sweet smell. Well I think I babbled the way thru the attic of mind long enough.
Be Good and you will be lonesome, be lonesome and you will be free, live a lie and you'll live to regret it, thats what living is to me...Jimmy Buffett

Thanksgiving of 1975. I was 9 years old. I remember stopping in my tracks on Main Street while tears filled my eyes. I couldn't believe that the Magic Kingdom was real.

I remember the ticket books -- riding Dumbo, the Tea Cups, Small World and the Jungle Cruise.

The Bicentennial Parade had just premiered.

We ate Hot Dogs on Thanksgiving.

It was amazing!

I have been to WDW 6 times since then and I always react the same way when I walk down Main Street.

I can't wait to go back again. Hopefully in 2005.

When I was 24 it was the first time I ever went to Disney. I didn't know what to expect and really wasn't too excited about going. But as soon as we drove thru the arches over the road, I was just so overwhelmed, and couldn't believe I was here!! I've been back almost every year since!

My first time was in either 74 or 75..(I was all of 3 or 4)...we had moved to S. Fla in 74 so I think it may have been then but I don't know! I have this wonderful photo of my little bro, me and mom sitting on the castle wall..you use to be able to that!! We look so happy but I have to say I do not remember it. I have it framed and it sits on my night stand. I can't say it is a memory but the photo does make me happy.

The first time I went was in 1973. I was 5 and my sister was 2. We drove down from Philadelphia in my father's Pinto (yikes!). I can remember riding the Carosel, crying in the Haunted Mansion, watching my sister sticking her hand up the Orange Bird's beak (it was a character from an OJ stand) and shaking Alice's hand as she walked past us in a parade on Main Street. We stayed at the Dutch Inn (which I believe is now one of the hotels near Downtown Disney) and were up on something like the 17th floor. I can remember looking down at the windmill shaped pool.

Unfortunately, my sister doesn't remember anything.

I remember. My mom took me as my graduation present. I was 17. All my friends were asking for cars, and I wanted to go to Disney (later I asked for the car) It was the only mother daughter trip my mom and I ever had.

Now I enjoy with my family.

The First time I went to Disney world was the summer of 1993, for my 21st Birthday.
It was a girls only trip, me best friend, her Mom, my mom and me.
We drove down, did one week at Daytona Beach and the second (better) week at WDW.
I remember my Best friend and I sitting by the swimming pool cheering for the Habs (Montreal Canadians). I remember the first time I saw Cindy's castle and actually crying, I remember spending all night dancing and laughing at PI and taking a cab back to the room.
The fifth time I went to WDW was for my honeymoon- stayed at Poly and decided never to stay off site again.
The 8th time I went I took my DS and cryed all over again when he saw Cindy's castle.
The 9th time I go we are celebrating my DS's 6th and promise you there will be more tears.....only 78 days to go

... was the year MK opened. I was two! My dad worked for IBM, and according to my mom, IBM paid for (some? all? of) its employees and their families to go down and check it out. My mother said we stayed at a hotel in Cocoa Beach. I have photos of myself on the carousel and the teacups, and of the animals on the Jungle Cruise. All I remember is wearing a light green dotted swiss dress, and getting it wet on a ride (probably JC?).

I went back during Spring Break in 1993 and wandered around for the better part of a week, absolutely clueless about the place. I'd done no research ahead of time - not even a guidebook - and paid for it by either waiting forever for attractions or missing them entirely. :(

I took DS (4) and DD (8th birthday) last August and we all had a blast! Hehe, I did my homework this time - thank heaven for this board! I hope my children retain wonderful memories of their first visit to WDW.

My first trip to WDW was in 1983 and I was in 9th grade. My band got picked to play in the parade and it was also my first time on a plane. When we went it was the rainy season. We had one day to pick either MK or Epcot and I chose MK all the way. I will never forget that feeling coming in the monorail and seeing the Magic Castle for the first time, I thought I died and went to heaven! Well it poured that day but we didn't care, most of the rides are inside and we went on Pirates of the Caribean like 15 times in a row because the place was deserted. Next day was the day we were in the parade, well it poured all morning but the sky shown bright sun when it was time for the parade. It was magic!!! I was hooked ever since then!

My first trip was Memorial Day weekend of 1978. I was 13. It was the first time any of us had ever flown which was exciting by itself. We flew Eastern Airlines (the official airline of WDW) from Philly to Orlando. The current airport didn't exist yet. When we reached Orlando, we walked down the stairs onto to the tarmac to reach the terminal.

We stayed at the Golf Resort Hotel (later the Disney Inn and now Shades of Green). There were only 3 hotels and 1 park. They still had the ticket books. A book with 18 assorted tickets was $19.50 for adults and $16.50 for kids.

At a couple of places in the park, there were vending machines that for a nickel dispensed a postcard. There were sets from Country Bears and Pirates with reproductions of the original concept art for the attractions.

The afternoon parade was celebrating Mickey's 50th birthday. There were not many Disney characters in the parade, as there were not nearly as many Disney characters back then. Much of the parade was generic characters like cowboys, Victorian couples, etc.

When I look back at photos and movies we took during the trip, I'm amazed at how few people were there, even during the afternoon parade. WDW wasn't the International destination it is today. Even during peak season, the crowds were nothing compared to now.

Of course, like all of you, I was hooked. I had been a huge Disney fan long before this trip and finally getting to go was just icing on the cake. I made a few more trips during high school, then after med school graduated to the annual (or more) trips that we are lucky enough to enjoy now.

Steve

We went on our honeymoon in 1973. The Magic Kingdom was the only park, but I thought it was the best place on earth. It's A Small World was the first ride we went on and I was amazed. I couldn't wait to tell everyone back home about it. I took pictures, which didn't come out very well, but I was so excited to see everything. There were tickets at that time and I had my choice of riding Dumbo or going back on It's A Small World, so I went back. Of course then I didn't get to ride Dumbo b/c I used up those two tickets. I think we stayed at a Sheraton Hotel and the whole trip probably cost less than $1,000. including airfare. I have to look up my old receipts. :earsgirl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter