Can we get polled about videos your planning?

Accident

DIS Veteran
Yesterday a video about saving money came up and 5 great tips..

As a community I think we could have added a lot to this discussion and would love the opportunity to chime in, maybe just make a thread here on what your thinking about...

Some examples I would have suggested for consideration in this video.:

#5 - target 5%, you can expand on that even further with the chase disney visa card (and there is a debit version of this card if you ask chase which most don't know about) gives you all those perks and discounts, early good discount access, etc. sometimes you get better deals than the 5% off gift cards with this if you pick and choose which you use to pay for your stuff based on where teh chase card helps out.

#4 - groceries, breakfast. getting non-perishable and there being a small fridge in each room for milk/OJ/etc and disney will store your perishables in a fridge until you pick them up easily allows at least breakfast, coffee, etc. allows someone who is going to get the meal plan anyway to offset that 1 missing meal at a much cheaper price. Also garden grocers which can bring you publix fried chicken and alcohol for the drinkers who want that wine or beer at the end of the night.

#3 - park hoppers. My best money saver over the years aside from groceries is not prebuying extras for my tickets if I don't have to for a discount. Upgrading ticket at the park is exactly the same price as if you added the option on before you traveled, takes 2-5 minutes and can usually be done at the resort or just at any ticket booth which is handy when hopping and you need to add the option on. If weather, or something happens and you never use the park hopper even if you planned to need it, you can't get a refund but you can pay the same delaying the purchase until you actually go to use it. Also if it's worth the price changes when your looking to hop to a park for 1 more hour and it's $300 to do that hop.

the others I have no more but I'm sure I would have thrown out a couple other secrets that might have changed your top 5 around or maybe you did more honorable mentions or made it a top 7 or top 10 as saving money is a huge reason why some people can't afford to be there.

Personally I think the video is ok as just coming from them - it is their top 5 tips ... buy maybe at the end they can invite people to head over to the board and discuss the topic in a dedicated thread that gets created when the video is released and then they can have a link to the tread in the show notes or something

Like you said there are a lot of other ideas people could have to add on to what the team came up with (though I guess, theoretically there is the entire Budget Board section that covers this as well)

Personally I think the video is ok as just coming from them - it is their top 5 tips ... buy maybe at the end they can invite people to head over to the board and discuss the topic in a dedicated thread that gets created when the video is released and then they can have a link to the tread in the show notes or something

Like you said there are a lot of other ideas people could have to add on to what the team came up with (though I guess, theoretically there is the entire Budget Board section that covers this as well)
GMTA yet again, Phil! Even though I don't usually frequent it, I was thinking Budget Board as well. :)

I thought it might be nice from a community standpoint that when fitting and time maybe they throw out the idea and let us all chime in. This is just 1 example and maybe it never happens but i think when your targetting a "new visitor" that this place is filled with little tips and tricks all over the spectrum that might enhance the video if there was a few days to say "chime in, what's your ideas".

I thought it might be nice from a community standpoint that when fitting and time maybe they throw out the idea and let us all chime in. This is just 1 example and maybe it never happens but i think when your targetting a "new visitor" that this place is filled with little tips and tricks all over the spectrum that might enhance the video if there was a few days to say "chime in, what's your ideas".

I do think it would be great if they connected the vlogs and other videos to the boards a bit more at times - so maybe for some things they could have their tips and the "additional tips from the board" and then for other things they could use the videos to drive attention to the boards ... building the community and also more explicit cross-promotion

They are currently looking for additional video contributors. Perhaps if there is something you want to add to a topic you can apply to be one of the video contributors and do an add on video? It did look like they went through the boards to see what would be the most useful and least complicated to come up with a top 5. Sure people could combine their Disney Chase Visa Rewards card but many people would only see a benefit in that if they have a Disney store close or go to Disney a lot so it isn't the best advice for the average new traveler. Instead the Target Red Card makes sense. A lot of people shop at Target and probably already have a Target Red Card so knowing it can help them save on their Disney vacation through purchasing of giftcards and paying the card off with their vacation savings is a great tip. They can use something they probably already have.

They are currently looking for additional video contributors. Perhaps if there is something you want to add to a topic you can apply to be one of the video contributors and do an add on video? It did look like they went through the boards to see what would be the most useful and least complicated to come up with a top 5. Sure people could combine their Disney Chase Visa Rewards card but many people would only see a benefit in that if they have a Disney store close or go to Disney a lot so it isn't the best advice for the average new traveler. Instead the Target Red Card makes sense. A lot of people shop at Target and probably already have a Target Red Card so knowing it can help them save on their Disney vacation through purchasing of giftcards and paying the card off with their vacation savings is a great tip. They can use something they probably already have.

The video was great, nobody really makes videos like how to save money. Wouldn't you love to see a thread one day that said, "we're doing a top 5 ways to save money video next week, lets hear your list?"???

Best example is I would have said get breakfast from prime now that plus drinks is probably half the money you spend on food at disney making it available to enhance other parts of your tip or even allowing you to afford to come in the first place. (yes we know some of you spend that in 1 meal, I think you get the point). they hinted at snacks and water, but saying breakfast in what you can offset with example of how muich money that saves would have been an eye opener for many that travel here and never thought of it.

I actually shared this video over on the Budget board when it went up, but I'm so glad you guys are chatting here about it too. SO many ideas for saving money on a Disney vacation are out there. :)

The video was great, nobody really makes videos like how to save money. Wouldn't you love to see a thread one day that said, "we're doing a top 5 ways to save money video next week, lets hear your list?"???

Best example is I would have said get breakfast from prime now that plus drinks is probably half the money you spend on food at disney making it available to enhance other parts of your tip or even allowing you to afford to come in the first place. (yes we know some of you spend that in 1 meal, I think you get the point). they hinted at snacks and water, but saying breakfast in what you can offset with example of how muich money that saves would have been an eye opener for many that travel here and never thought of it.

I just kind of separate the boards from the Unplugged content I guess. I know they mention threads (especially the thread of the day) but at the same time I kind of like that their video and podcast content is largely their opinions. I just don't want the podcast and vlog to become a regurgitation of the board content if that makes sense.

I just kind of separate the boards from the Unplugged content I guess. I know they mention threads (especially the thread of the day) but at the same time I kind of like that their video and podcast content is largely their opinions. I just don't want the podcast and vlog to become a regurgitation of the board content if that makes sense.

I can follow that. But time to time, there might be a topic that is worth a cross over... Take max rebos suggestion and at the end "we asked our own disboards what they thought the top 5 money saving tips are, check them out at the url in the video description for even more ways". So not making the video (not to say they wouldn't read it before deciding what the top 5 is including their ideas), but extending it and bringing in more people to disboards that may not have known about it.

Pete also asked for some information for an AKL review. I have to admit I completely forgot to send in my email though since I have drastically different experiences between Jambo and Kidanni that I thought would be worth sharing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter