Can anyone tell me about Allegiant Airlines?

I just think it is outrageous when the mechanics bring up legitimate safety concern and management tells them not to worry about it and clear the planes to fly. The mechanics that refuse to go along are fired. The company clearly does not have a culture of safety and takes unnecessary risks in order to boost profits. In my opinion safety of the passengers and the crew should always be more important than profits.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busi...cdd5fe74204_story.html?utm_term=.7a3b6e982ffd
It must not be too bad. They are always staffed with pilots and flight attendants. Maybe those people all have death wishes. Or maybe the claims are blown out of proportion. All the flight attendants I've spoken to seem to love their jobs. That speaks volumes to me.

I will never fly Allegiant again. They stood and lied to us about why the flight was delayed, while we were staring right out the window at crew doing repairs. Then, gate person went onto jetway and hid there for an hour and a half.

We have flown Allegiant several times to Vegas and Orlando. One of our options for a nonstop unless we drive 3+ hours. They do nickel and dime-pay for soda, pay for seats, etc. We don't pay for the seat assignment and the last 2 times we did not sit together, but we didn't care. You do need to watch because sometimes priority boarding, etc is the default. The planes are comfortable enough. We will fly with them again when the price is right. Huge variance in price from day to day, but the flight fare calendar is great.

I would drive to Cincinnati. Did you know SW is coming here?

Allegiant is known for mechanical issues and delayed flights. My friends daughter was coming from Orlando and the plane turned around and went back. They were lucky. They were put on a flight the sane night. Others aren't so lucky.

I also got turned around on a flight out of Orlando. We made it as far as Atlanta and they turned us all the way around back to Orlando. Let's just say that was a very long and quiet return flight as everyone was wondering what on earth our mechanical issue was. I also don't like the fact that they had no presence at other airports and had to fly back so far. Other airlines would presumably have been able to land at Hartsfield or somewhere else closer than Orlando.

You aren't concerned when their own mechanics refuse to let their families fly on the airline?

100% true. I know a mechanic that worked for Allegiant (no longer with them) that told me that he would never fly on Allegiant's planes even if he was paid to.

Apparently the maintenance is little to none on their fleet and they cut it really close with refueling to save money.

there are suppose to be getting brand spanking new airplanes soon due to all the bad publicity. Hopefully it would get better then.

Great information also from the Dayton area and loved non stop to Orlando. Does anyone know if there is a shuttle service from Dayton to Cincinnati or Columbus not liking the extra drive time especially comings home after a great vacation.

We live in the Lexington area and all the trips via flight to Florida have been on SW from Louisville, except fall break 2015 when all flights were crazy. We drove to Atlanta and flew the rest of the way in as the flights were $78 RT. Next month, we are flying Delta from Cincinnati non stop to MCO. The prices weren't bad at all. I would check out the Delta non-stops. Even though SW is in Cincinnati soon, any flight to Orlando will have a stop in either Chicago or Baltimore. I personally would take a SW layover before flying Allegiant or Frontier, regardless of cost. Too many horror stories on both.

As for the drive, since Lexington is so expensive, we always have an hour plus to get home from the airport. Not a big deal at all.

It is worth the two hour drive for us to fly SW out of Philly even though they seriously cut back on direct flights to MCO. I don't like to be nickeled and dimed plus I've flown out of Sanford before and the price of getting to and from WDW killed all cost savings.

No. I'm not going to worry about a carrier that hasn't had a fatality in almost 20 years. That's just silly. 1.3 million people die every year in car accidents and 20-50 million people end up injured or disabled. So 26 million people have died in cars over 20 years. Yet.....you probably still get in a car right? I bet all those mechanics still put their kids in cars too.
I bet they put them in cars that have been maintained. The issue is poor maintenance. It's a risk to drive, but I bet most of us drive reliable, well kept cars.

I bet they put them in cars that have been maintained. The issue is poor maintenance. It's a risk to drive, but I bet most of us drive reliable, well kept cars.
Really? It doesn't matter if you get your engine rebuilt every month, if someone hits you head on going 60 miles an hour maintenance isn't going to save you. The fact is that in a car numbers aren't on your side. Please don't kid yourself. Your chances of dying in a plane crash are 1 in 11 million. In a car 1 in 5,000. But they probably had poor car maintenance. :rolleyes:

Well, suit yourself. I frequently fly, but I would like to be in a well maintained plane. That won't protect me from pilot error or a head on collision. Same with my car. Of course there's risk, but I'd rather not add poor brakes to that risk.

Allegiant flies from our local airport but we never fly with them. I hate the whole "nickel and dime" thing, and there are a LOT of them with Allegiant. The big problem is that they only fly on Wednesdays and Saturdays from our airport. If something happens and the Saturday flight is canceled, you can't get out until Wednesday, if you are lucky. Really kills a vacation, and grossly increases costs if you are supposed to fly home and either have to buy a last-minute ticket on another airline or pay for extra nights in a hotel, extra meals, explain to your boss...

FWIW, we've flown at least a dozen times with AllegiantAir over the past 7 years. We've had a few delays (the longest was about 4 hours) but for the most part, our flights have been on time (or at least within 30 minutes which I think is pretty common with any airline) but we've never had a flight cancelled (and we pretty much only fly during the winter (when delays and cancellations are more common)).

They do nickel and dime but for us, the price is still worth it and we really only need the basic services (usually we only have our personal item so no luggage fees, we don't select seats, we bring a lunch although might buy a drink or snack).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter