Bunk Bedding

belle41379

Disney is my happy place.
Anyone have a recommendation for bunk bedding? We have 4 kids and I'm looking for something a bit simpler and less bulky for their bunks. We have the standard "mattress" on each bunk.

We are staying at FW for the first time this year and can't wait!

Less bulky then what? Sleeping bags?

I think your choices are standard linen or sleeping bags. I would certainly make sure I had something to cover the mattresses just for longevity of the mattress. A sleeping bag might be too warm depending on the time of year.

We have regular bedding (including comforters) on our beds in our TT plus a few spare blankets (just in case) in a cabinet. We do not bring our sleeping bags. (actually only me and my dd19 have a sleeping bag. DW and DD11 don't have one.)

We always use standard bedding on our beds. My kids like sheets and blankets. Since bunks are often weirdly sized you could just use flat sheets and tuck them in.

We always use standard bedding on our beds. My kids like sheets and blankets. Since bunks are often weirdly sized you could just use flat sheets and tuck them in.
Our last TT had bunk beds... You are definitely right in the "Weirdly Sized" too. Not only length, width but certainly "Height" too. They were very loose. Worse yet, is because the bunks were "Tucked" in a corner, it was very difficult to "Make" the bed. Certainly wasn't clean "Tucked" sheets with Hospital corners on them. (Ah... my military days and the perfect "Hospital Corners" ). I think if I had to deal with those "Bunks" again, I would seriously consider sleeping bags. Certainly much easier to "Make the bed" (Untie.... Roll out.... Done!)

This might be out of your price range (especially if you need 4), but Beddy's could be an option. It is an all in one bed system that zips up. I want to get one, but just have not bit the bullet yet. https://beddys.com/
They almost always have a coupon 20%- 25% going on; and they have rare flash sales on their instagram account.

Beddy's lloking interesting. I m going to look into those a little more thoroughly. We just bought a TT with bunks and I was thinking about buying a sheet set for each and sewing the flat sheet to the fitted on two sides. Then the kids can take whatever quilt they want. Our bunks are "double" sized but have the corner cut off to make more room for the bathroom door. Should be interesting.

I'm kind of confused. The standard mattresses that came with it should be a perfect fit. Maybe just buy foam and cut it to size?

I'm kind of confused. The standard mattresses that came with it should be a perfect fit. Maybe just buy foam and cut it to size?
The mattress will fit the bunk perfectly. The problem is often that the standard linens that you can buy at your local store aren't typically sized for the RV mattress.

Our older TT that had bunks, the mattress wasn't a typical "Twin" size, rather it was more narrow and certainly wasn't as thick (typical Twin mattresses tend to be upwards of 6 - 8 inches where the bunk mattresses were maybe 4 inches). So the standard sheet sets looked "Baggy" on the beds. They still worked and would cover (and ultimately protect) the mattresses, but it certainly wasn't a perfect fit.

One thing I noticed in our new TT is that mattresses are very firm. I ordered some 2" memory foam toppers. I know I'll have to cut them down some, but I think they will make us all more comfy.

Thanks everyone! I would love to have "Beddy's" for our bunks. I think I'm going to end up trying to make something similar that will work.

Yes, the issue is that with the bunk mattress being so much narrower and not as thick as a regular twin, standard sheets and comforters end up very sloppy and bulky when tucked in. It's also difficult to make up. I think I'm going to experiment with making a set of "Beddy's" from some of the bedding we currently have. If that works, I may make a set out of micro fiber or fleece sheets. They can then have an extra blanket folded at the bottom of the bed for additional warmth if needed. If that all works, I'm making one for our bed too. Our master is a pain to make! Lol

Yes, our bunk mattress are only about 4 inches thick. One of my friends says she sews elastic all the way around the "fitted" sheet and that makes them snug against the mattress perfectly.

One thing I noticed in our new TT is that mattresses are very firm. I ordered some 2" memory foam toppers. I know I'll have to cut them down some, but I think they will make us all more comfy.

Yes, you are correct - most RV mattresses are not very comfortable, as is. We took our mattresses out of the last few TT's and mh's, and replaced them with ones we ordered, also put memory foam toppers on - 'now', they're comfy!! :)

We've had our last mattress in the last three RV's - just put our 'hard' spares in the ones we traded!! Also, I refuse anymore to have anything but 'walk around' island beds 'without' cabinets on either side of headboards - way too hard for me to make up - back breaking!
I like my sheets to fit tight, and it was impossible on some of the bed configurations we had in the past.

Convinced that whoever designs these beds never have to make them up, 'or' sleep on them!! :rolleyes1

Convinced that whoever designs these beds never have to make them up, 'or' sleep on them!! :rolleyes1

Yes! The first TT we were considering had the "master" bed going sideways across the front of the camper. Not only a nightmare to make up, but I would have had to crawl over my husband to get in and out of bed. I think the TT we purchased will be easier, but I haven't made the bed yet so I don't know. I know the bunks are going to be a bear.

The mattress will fit the bunk perfectly. The problem is often that the standard linens that you can buy at your local store aren't typically sized for the RV mattress.

Our older TT that had bunks, the mattress wasn't a typical "Twin" size, rather it was more narrow and certainly wasn't as thick (typical Twin mattresses tend to be upwards of 6 - 8 inches where the bunk mattresses were maybe 4 inches). So the standard sheet sets looked "Baggy" on the beds. They still worked and would cover (and ultimately protect) the mattresses, but it certainly wasn't a perfect fit.

Oh, I see. I misunderstood.

I do have a good solution to try. Five Below sells sheets that are perfectly sized for RV mattresses. The fitted ones are completely useless for a "real" mattress of that size, but they fit my camper mattresses wonderfully. They sell fitted, flat, and pillow cases each separately. The fitted elastic does go all the way around so they stay snug as well.

Obviously, there is no thread count listed on them, but I can vouch for their comfort. At $5 each, I didn't expect them to be as comfortable as they are. After spending some nights on the first one, I went back and purchased the fitted sheets and coordinating pillow cases for the full and twin beds in our camper. Unfortunately, they don't sell king sized. But give them a try, much cheaper than specialty sheets.

Yes, the issue is that with the bunk mattress being so much narrower and not as thick as a regular twin, standard sheets and comforters end up very sloppy and bulky when tucked in.

I use the sheet fasteners to keep hold of extra material on regular sheets. We have double over double bunks, so I used full sheets, and then bought twin size comforters (which work perfectly without extra hang-off. The top bunk, I do tuck the comforter under the curved part but other than that it works great for us.

The jersey/t-shirt sheets tend to be more forgiving to differing shapes and sizes, we've had good luck using them when we had bunks in our TT and now with DS's bed above the cab.

I just bought a set of sheets from Target that has elastic all the way around the bottom but a second piece of elastic about 8 inches up on each corner. I haven't tried them yet, but hoping they stay put. The brand is Threshold Organic 300 thread count. Not cheap.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter