"Budget" Oceanfront Virginia Beach-HELP!

KatyMac

Mouseketeer
Anyone familiar with the NewCastle hotel in Virginia Beach? Looking for a clean oceanfront room that won't break the bank. Any Suggestions?? TIA

well the strip at VA beach isn't terribly long and I don't recall any seedy hotels on the oceanfront but I also can't place that hotel on the strip(website doesn't have enough pics to see where it is). Most of the cheaper motels are across the street. I have no idea if they are clean or not but I wouldn't stay at any of them just from how they look.

I've stayed at the Holiday Inn and the Sheraton there. Both were perfectly fine and clean hotels although both housekeeping staffs never quite got all the sand out of the carpet every day. I can imagine it's very hard on the vacuums though so it wasn't a major issue.

Thanks for the good review on the Sheraton! I am not the OP but I am staying there starting Sunday for three days, and am excited about it!!!

What about food? Is there any cheap food around? I see there is supposedly a McDonalds only half a mile away. Half mile is easily walkable, most of the time, unless you have to cross a really busy street or there are no sidewalks or something. We are packing food and sandwiches and stuff too, and hoping to only eat in a sit down restaurant TOPS once a day. If possible. It's been years since I have been to VA Beach, I don't remember the strip at all.

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Surfside in May and while it was OK as far as rooms go I was a little upset that they said the pool would be open and it was not. We had to walk to the hotel 2 down to use their pool. They were undergoing a lot of remodeling so the lobby was still totally under construction. With 3 kids I would have liked an area that was more ready for its customers. Otherwise all the ones that are beach front look fairly decent. My friend stayed at the Sheraton and loved it. The Courtyard was nice too.

As for eating, there are quite a few fast food places between 21st and 27th Ave....burger king, wendys and McD's. There is also a few sit down places that were pretty nice.

Have fun.

I'm not sure where the Sheraton is, but there is a DQ somewhere on the strip (more towards the south), and with the addition of the new Hilton at 31st street, there is an ice cream shop and a sub shop across the street from that.

there is a McD's on the beachfront. Just follow the path along the beach to it. Very easy to get to.

I live an hour from VB and spend almost every weekend there on the boardwalk. I squeeze in weekends whenever possible.

STAY away from the Tropicanna Hotel. It looks ok on the web site...yuck! It's well known to be a really bad hotel.

For cheap eats I bring a cooler but restaurant.com has a lot of nice places listed there if you have a car. Keep in mind that most of the places right on the boardwalk are going to be more expensive than driving a little.

For cheap eats I bring a cooler but restaurant.com has a lot of nice places listed there if you have a car. Keep in mind that most of the places right on the boardwalk are going to be more expensive than driving a little.

I live in Va Beach - definitely agree on the boardwalk being more expensive for sit-down restaurants. There are plenty of little cafes and burgers-and-dogs/pizza places scattered along the boardwalk, though, for cheap eats. Restaurant.com does have great deals, especially if you have a discount code. OP, if you want to splurge a little one evening, try out my favorite: Lynnhaven Fish House off of Shore Drive (maybe ten minute drive from boardwalk area). Mmm.

Can't help an awful lot on hotels, but the New Castle doesn't have the best ratings. Trust tripadvisor on that. We stayed at the Sheraton after our wedding, and my high school prom was also there - it's a great hotel but not necessarily budget.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter