Boston to Fort wilderness by RV in February. Route suggestions?

PuddlesMom

Earning My Ears
Many trips to WDW but our first time driving by RV to the Fort. WE can't wait for late February arrival but I am getting a bit concerned over the best route south-- we would like to avoid the big city craziness and enjoy the ride. Some suggest going down 1-81 but others say it's not good in the winter ? Would love to hear feedback and suggestions from others who make this trip! Thank you!

I would say it depends on what time of the day you leave. I don't live in Boston, I drive from northern VT, and take, 87 to Albany, not bad traffic there, hit 95 then 80 east then back on 95 in NJ. New York traffic not bad, and hardly any DC traffic, cruise right through Richmond, Jacksonville is the only place I hit real traffic, but don't really notice it as I am driving way to fast to notice it. As for what time I leave I leave around 4:30-5:00 pm. I'm in Albany in about 3 hours, NYC in 3 more hours, and driving through DC at stopping at exit 104 in Virginia for breakfast at about 3:30 AM.
After that it is about 12 1/2 hrs to the Fort.

It is hard to give you directions because you don't know what the weather will bring. Snow storms are possible so you will have to check the weather a few days before you leave. I suggest you have at least 2 routes planned, one inland such as I-81 to I-75 and the other I-95

If you want to avoid the Baltimore/ DC/ Richmond craziness, you could take Route 1 through Delaware, go over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel and then get back on 95. Warning- Route 1 has traffic lights and you have to take some "backroads" to get back on 95. Some areas are very rural- especially lower DE and the Delmarva peninsula. If the weather is crappy, I'm not sure you would want to go that way bc the roads might be worse than 95.

It is hard to give you directions because you don't know what the weather will bring. Snow storms are possible so you will have to check the weather a few days before you leave. I suggest you have at least 2 routes planned, one inland such as I-81 to I-75 and the other I-95
Thank you!

I will ditto PhillyMummer's advice but will suggest that you get off Rt1 at exit 119 (Rt 13 in Smyrna De) Take Rt13 south for and I will confirm this if you ask 4 traffic lights ( At light 4 there will be a MickeyD's and Valero Station on your right and a Royal Farms hint decent fuel prices here) Make a right onto Glenwood Ave and go to 3rd traffic light and veer to right (Pass in front of local ambulance station) this will put you on Rt 6 go thru town of Clayton (Speed limit of 25 strictly enforced) stay on 6 into Md and go thru town of Millington where you will enter 2 traffic circles in second you will get off 6 and onto 301 South Take 301 to merge with SR 50 and then follow signs to and over Bay Bridge ( no toll ) stay on 50 to merge with I495 and stay on to merge with I95 You avoided BMore and DC You can take Richmond-Petersburg bypass I295 but never found need and it is boring literally swamp on both sides with no stops. If you do go with PM route I would suggest that you get off 1 in Milford and take 113 south . This will bypass a lot of the small towns and bring you back to 13 in Pokemoke Md which is wherethe road that takes you to Bay Bridge Tunnel

I just plugged it into Google Maps. It says 1303 miles.

Here's how to make the trip easy. Drive to downtown Boston. Go due east a little farther. Park and go through the TSA security check and find your gate at Login Int'l. :D

Other than that, I can't help much. I live in the middle of the country where New Englanders think only corn and wheat grow.

j

I just plugged it into Google Maps. It says 1303 miles.

Here's how to make the trip easy. Drive to downtown Boston. Go due east a little farther. Park and go through the TSA security check and find your gate at Login Int'l. :D

Other than that, I can't help much. I live in the middle of the country where New Englanders think only corn and wheat grow.

j
That's Logan Int and the middle of the country as my BIL from Bean Town says any where that is outside of the broadcast are of the Pats and Sox is the uncivilized section nation, I prefer to think of it as the Great and Treasured Heartland of the Basket of Deplorables

Did you mean I-77? I-81 and I-75 don't meet up, I-81 ends and becomes I-40 before it meets up with I-75 in Knoxville, that way would also bring you a lot further west then you need to go.

I-81 to I-77 to I-26 to I-95 would be one way to go if you go I-81 to avoid the big city craziness of NYC and DC. If DC doesn't bother you too much I guess you could also do I-81 to I-70 to I-270 to I-495(would bring you west around DC) to I-95

Last edited:
If you do go the I-95 route and have ez-pass watch the pricing for the express lanes

A FOX 5 staff member driving on Interstate 495 found a sign showing the toll for the Express Lanes starting from nearby the Tysons Corner area to the I-395/95 exit would cost a whopping $30! Using the lanes to I-66 would be just shy of $10.

Tolls for the Express Lanes are dynamic, meaning they change periodically based on real-time traffic conditions to keep the Lanes free-flowing.

Heard about it on the news and thought I would share.

If you do go the I-95 route and have ez-pass watch the pricing for the express lanes

A FOX 5 staff member driving on Interstate 495 found a sign showing the toll for the Express Lanes starting from nearby the Tysons Corner area to the I-395/95 exit would cost a whopping $30! Using the lanes to I-66 would be just shy of $10.

Tolls for the Express Lanes are dynamic, meaning they change periodically based on real-time traffic conditions to keep the Lanes free-flowing.

Heard about it on the news and thought I would share.

Some of the express lanes don't allow trailers, they are supposed to be for buses and cars/light trucks.

That's Logan Int...

I prefer to think of it as the Great and Treasured Heartland of the Basket of Deplorables
Ooopps. Missed the spelling. Of course, they can't pronounce "car" or anything ending in "a" correctly, so I consider it even.

I live in Illinois, so we seem to be grouped in with the lib elites instead of the deplorables to either side of us. :D

j

Did you mean I-77? I-81 and I-75 don't meet up, I-81 ends and becomes I-40 before it meets up with I-75 in Knoxville, that way would also bring you a lot further west then you need to go.

I did mean to suggest I-81 to I-40 to I-75. If a coastal storm hits it will most likely be ice in the Carolinas and the OP would be better to stay inland where if it is an inland storm she may be better to hug the coast.

HI
We've been to Disney lots from central MA (Worcester area), and have wintered in FL for several years. We hate the DC to Fredericksburg area traffic so have developed our own route, very toll friendly (GSP, Jersey Pike, etc is about $185 round trip towing a car)
Our route:
Mass Pike to 84 west, onto I-684 in NY then to I-287. I-287 and I-87 merge and go over TZ bridge, then take exit 15 I-287 south to I-78 west through NJ into PA. Then onto I-81 south through PA, MD, WV into VA. Then I-64 east, onto VA 288 south which will take you to I-95 in Petersburg area, then just follow 95 south. We take I-295 east around J'Ville, FL (toward beaches), it's a little shorter and nice views.
This way is longer, but you save time away from the DC traffic jam.

Ooopps. Missed the spelling. Of course, they can't pronounce "car" or anything ending in "a" correctly, so I consider it even.

I live in Illinois, so we seem to be grouped in with the lib elites instead of the deplorables to either side of us. :D

j
Teamubr unlesss you are in Weather Underground City I would think you are right here with the rest of us.

PuddlesMom if you do take 95 the direction of travel in the EZ Pass EXPRESS lanes is dependent on day of the week and time of day and price is not set We stayed in local lanes and did fine

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter