Borrowing points question

Dtw002

Mouseketeer
Booking a reservation now for dec 2017 and borrowing a couple points from 2018 (March use year). if for some reason we cancel the dec trip, those points don't go back to 2018, right?

If that's the case and we cancel the dec trip, when would I have to use the points I pulled from 2018 into 2017 use year? 3/2018? Or could I bank those points into 2018 anyway.... Confusing.

Thanks!

Once borrowed, points must stay in the 'new' UY, your 2017 year.
If you cancel before your banking dead line, Oct 31, 2017, you can bank the 2017 points. The borrowed 2018 points would need to be used by Feb 28 or they will expire.

March use for 2017 runs 3/1/17 through 2/28/18.

Yes, you are correct that if you borrow 2018 points into 2017 they stay there and will expired 2/28/18 if you do not use them before then.

You could reduce the reservation by a day so you don't borrow the points and later try to add the day on if you know you are keeping the reservation. It is a risk but you will not lose points.

And just to clarify: when we say "use" them, we mean you need to complete your stay by the end of Feb.

ok thanks, that is really helpful. So you could create a circumstance where you borrow points from 2018 to use in 2017. And then if you didn't need all 2017/2018 borrowed points, you could bank 2017 points into 2018?

So for each reservation they let you choose/switch the points you use? Or do you not have the ability to control it like that?

Reason I'm asking is we might do a small direct add on, at which point I'll get more 2017 points. BUT I want to book a vaca now for 12/2017 but would have to borrow 2018 points (which if we do the add on I might find myself with too many points for 2017). Blaaaa

Hence my confusion.

...and we want to d bcv studios for first week of dec (our home resort). Think I can keep waiting on the direct purchase .... or book it now?

Reason I'm asking is we might do a small direct add on, at which point I'll get more 2017 points. BUT I want to book a vaca now for 12/2017 but would have to borrow 2018 points (which if we do the add on I might find myself with too many points for 2017).
If I remember correctly, the circumstance you describe is the one instance in which they will let you "unborrow" points. Again, this would only work if you purchase the add-on directly from Disney. If you purchase on the resale market all bets are off.

Another thought: When you talk to your guide about purchasing the add-on, ask the guide to assist with this. Tell him/her about your situation and that you will go ahead with the purchase if they can put your borrowed points back into their original UY.

ETA: I hope someone will come along and confirm this. I do not have first hand knowledge but I remember reading that one or more people on this board have done this.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter