Booking AP "best code" when I already paid a deposit-my experience

Simba's Mom

<font color=green>everything went to "H*** in a ha
Maybe someone else has done this, but I thought I'd share my experience. I'd already booked @ POR, standard view, for 11/25, 11/26 and paid a deposit ($149/nite). Much to my surprise (didn't expect any discounts Thanksgiving week), going to the AP website, best rate plan, I got $109/nite. However, I already paid a discount-so now what? I called, and a not so nice CM told me "Well, you'll have to cancel this reservation, get the deposit back, and pay a deposit on your new reservation". She was so rude, I even said "I was just asking for information-you could have been nicer about it!" But for an $80 savings (not counting tax), I booked the new reservation. Now I just wait for my original deposit back.

Simba's Mom --
I did the same thing this week. I cancelled a reservation for October and booked the AP rate online instead. Given the fact that I have also booked 2 rooms at the online AP rate for December, I would REALLY like to get that deposit back from my original reservation ::yes::

Same thing happened to me. I booked our just the week before this new program and they never said anything about this coming out even though I asked if AP rates came out if they could be applied against the booking (which I guess they can). Anyway since I'm Canadian every time I buy something in US dollars, I pay an exchange rate and a premium (so if the rate is 25% it may cost 28%). When they refund it, they are converting back to Canadian money so it goes the other way (they buy it back at say 23%). So every time I do this I'm not breaking even - I'm losing about 5%! To top it off, the site messed up and I had to straighten it out over the phone - to make a long story short they had to refund another $25.00 because of my on line booking.

Anyway - I still think it is going to be a good program when they work out the bugs and I eventually got the rooms I was after.

This may be the double edge sard for the res agents. They will have less phone calls due to the on-line. But they will also be losing sales to on-line.

You know, it just occurred to me that I should have asked how long til I get my original deposit back. If anyone else has done this, I'd be real interested to know how long it took to get the first deposit back. Thanks.

Simba's Mom said:
You know, it just occurred to me that I should have asked how long til I get my original deposit back. If anyone else has done this, I'd be real interested to know how long it took to get the first deposit back. Thanks.
I just canceled my oct trip on thursday of last week and the money back on card yesterday(tuesday)

Refunds are generally applied between 10-14 days, but Disney asks you to allow up to 2 billing cycles to see it refunded.

Sue Ellen

Simba's Mom said:

Simba's Mom,

I booked earlier this evening through the 'best rate' program and then cancelled my previous 2 reservations for a stay in December. The CM stated that the refund should post within 24 hours, but I'm not so sure I believe that. We shall see.

notnothin said:
I booked earlier this evening through the 'best rate' program and then cancelled my previous 2 reservations for a stay in December. The CM stated that the refund should post within 24 hours, but I'm not so sure I believe that. We shall see.

Notnuthin --

Because of the new AP online bookings, I cancelled a reservation with CRO on Monday and the refund posted to my account this a.m. Hope yours is as quick!

I was not able to get on the web site early last night, so I called CRO. She did not know alot about the web system and could not tell me anything except that I had to book on line. I kept repeating that the system would not let me into the passholders seciton. She kept saying that I had to type in the passholder card number. I kept telling her I could not even get that far.

Well anyway, she checked on my original reservation at WL - booked at Rack Rates, they had a AAA rate - finally. So I change my reservation to that rate, figured I'd better get it while I can. Went from Woodsview to Courtyard, still a better rate.

She kept putting me on hold, assume asking a supervisor questions. I had asked if the regular AP rates would be come available. She did not know, but said I could call back weekly to check.

I thought the whole point of this booking on line was to reduce the number of phone calls into CRO.

Anyway I finally did book on line last night. The only view available was a courtyard view, better rate than the AAA. There were not even any suites available. The system did NOT let me choose my view, it just gave me the courtyard view. I did not like that I was not able to choose options. Plus it asked if I wanted a refrigerator, I thought all of the mods and deluxes came with frigs now.

I'll keep both reservations for now to see what happens.

Good luck to all out there.

SueEllen - I'm glad you posted that. I thought I was hearing things when they said 10 days but give it two billings cycles to show up on your card! It'll be interesting to see how long this actually takes.

notnothin said:
Simba's Mom,

Why did you do that. This is what i dont get. Why not keep your original reservations, and then when the AP rate comes out, have them apply it? Why bother going threw online.

I was all set to buy an annual pass so I could book three rooms for my entire family in early November at CBR. Then the Best Rate program came out and nixed the idea of booking three rooms. So, now I'm wondering if I'm better off with the AAA rate of $126 per night, or should I buy an annual pass and see if I can do better. I'm wondering if it will be worth the cost of an AP.

Somebody, help! I just figured out the old program and now they give us a new one to navigate.......... :earboy2:

ECurto said:
Why did you do that. This is what i dont get. Why not keep your original reservations, and then when the AP rate comes out, have them apply it? Why bother going threw online.
I can't speak for anyone else, but I did it because I saw a discounted rate online that was about 35% lower than I had. I didn't want to take the chance of it being available when AP rates come out (if they do) the "old" way-call in. As far as the nonrefundable thing, I agree that I don't like it, but I figure I already have non-refundable airline tickets, and after 21 trips to WDW, I've never had to cancel before, so I chanced it. Who knows, maybe I was wrong, but at least I saved $40/nite. A bird in the hand is better than...

ECurto - there is also the possibility that since AP rates are limited that there won't be any left to call-in with. They may be all used up with the on-line bookings. I didn't want to take that chance and I already got a discounted rate with the Best Rate Plan and if it goes lower - than I'll be even happier.

ECurto said:

I think the general thinking is that AP codes might not come out, or will be extremely limited because online customers got them first. This new system opens up a whole new set of worries for those who watch for codes. Depending on how this beta launch goes we could quite possibly be looking at this being the only way to get an AP rate in the future. Those who call in with codes will now be second in line, picking up whatever availability was not taken by those booking online. I don't mean to be a fear monger here but I think we need to be prepared to see an extremely limited quantity of discounts for those who call in trying to get them. The 'Best Rate' people are given their AP discounts at time of booking others will have to wait around for the scraps. I hate the non-refundable deposit and $50 change fee but I'd hate having no discount even worse. It's just a matter of whether you want to lock in now with your discount or gamble that one will become available later. For now Disney has said that this 'Best Rate' program is not replacing the current system but you can bet that if it goes well we are going to see some big changes. The current system is really being abused and I think Disney is looking to tighten things up a bit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter