Boma - Not all it is cracked up to be...

skellingtonfreak

Disney is my life...you have a problem with that?
Well, we tried Boma for the first time on this last trip from 9/26-10/5. Now, I am not a picky eater, but I have to say that everyone's reviews of Boma were way off. I did find some things to eat, so it isnn't like I was starving, but combine the spicy food with the really long lines and I wasn't really all that thrilled with the place. We thought Chef mickey's was SO much better.

Jenny is a very picky eater and she would only eat the salad, chicken nuggets and french fries. $30 for that? Oh well...at least she did try some things before she said yuck. Maybe they had an off night or something...but the way everyone raves about it, I expected so much better than what I got. Oh well....lesson learned.

So, what we learned from this restaurant...the food line is lengthy and takes 5-10 minutes to get your food in line. It is the worst place in the world for picky eaters. And...unless you like it spicy...just not that good.

I know I am of the minority on this one, but oh well.

Thanks for sharing your experience. There are some very unique items at Boma and you are right, many of them have unique flavors.

Sorry it wasn't your cup of tea :)

Not only are some of the foods very spicy, others are just ordinary cafeteria-type fare. We thought the atmosphere was terrific, but weren't impressed by the food.

Sorry to hear that you did not care for Boma. I agree that many of the items use different spices and ingreadiants. That is what we love about it. It is so much better than the average buffet for us. If a person does not like different spices and foods Boma is not the place for you. We ate there again last week and loved it just like always.

let's face it; with any of these restaurants, it all comes down to your own palette. for me, boma is one of my favorites and i really enjoyed the flavors. i don't think it is a place i would ever take the kids to so only plan it when i am on an adults trip. i couldn't get enough of it and we went in december around christmas and there were no lines at all. now my mom who was with me is a little bit pickier and she was all that impressed until she found the desserts. she'd rather eat dessert anyway so she had huge plates of those.

Can I ask a silly question, what time was your reservation for?

We are going early, around 4:45 and I am hoping to bypass the long lines for food

We went to Boma for breakfast last week and did not like it either.... we won't be going back....

We, too, were not impressed with the food. The atmosphere and lodge itself were beautiful but we won't be going back to eat. Oh well, glad we tried it once!

Wow you echoed my thoughts on our dinner. I am not a picky eater but I didn't enjoy it.
I found it noisy and fight to get your food. I discovered I am not a buffet person even if it is more exotic.
We stayed at the lodge and loved the lodge itself.

Our ADR was for 4:30. We thought by going early it would help alleviate the crowds, I guess not. I hope you like it, and please don't let me review stop you from at least trying it. You might find you love it and who knows, the crowds may not be that bad that day you have your ADR. It just really depends on the day with Disney.

I agree. I fought tooth & nail to get an ADR back in '06 (4:30pm) after reading nothing but awesome reviews. Both DD8 and I didn't care for it at all, and I consider myself to be quite an adventerous eater - the more unique the better.

We really thought it was overrated and have no desire to ever return there.

We went for the fist time last year - we did enjoy our dinner - especially the soups / stew.

We are going again this year so hope it will be as good this time :)

thanks for your input! I always worry about it because I want to try Boma so bad, but my DH is a really picky eater and I'm afraid he won't find much there he'll eat besides dessert!

We'll be trying BOMA for the first time next week. I'll try almost any type of food once. Hoping for the best.

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy Boma's. It has always been wonderful for us, with or without lines. It has the most unique combination of gourmet items in a buffet setting. I did want to give people hope about "picky" eaters, especially kids. We went in a large group of of 24 people. My brother's youngest DD6 is an unbelievably picky eater, very petite, birdlike even. We thought she would choose chicken nuggets or PBJ's. Uh uh... she was eating the carved meats and chicken like it was going out of style! Her mother was amazed at what she packed away. So don't be surprised... there is SOOO much variety. (The carrot soup is AMAZING!) You might find just what you like by trying a taste of everything.:thumbsup2

I agree in the variety, and it isn't like I didn't find anything to eat. I just found what there was to eat very mundane. We had better at Tusker House, which has almost the exact type of food, just not as gourmet.

And like I always say to everyone, don't say you don't like it until you try it. I am all for everyone being adventurous, and there is always meat for the picky people to eat, as well as the kid's section. I just preferred Tusker House over Boma. Even the prime rib was better at the Tusker House.

For folks who are members of the steak, chicken nugget and mac n cheese crew, Boma is really not a good choice.

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy Boma. We were there Sept. 6th, and while full, we didn't find it overly crowded and chaotic. I liked that instead of one long line, there sere seperate pods, so even if the carving station had a line, you could still get more hummus or desserts, etc. (Wow, I really love that hummus). We were a three generation family including two small kiddos and it was one of our faves of the trip! So much variety, and although I don't like "spicy" food, I enjoyed everything I tried. Even the kids agreed that it was by far their favorite buffet.

We have 8:30 breakfast ADRs on 11/18. I knew I couldn't get my picky family to eat there for dinner but I was hoping breakfast would have enough choices to satisfy everyone. As long as there are pastries and waffles or pancakes I think they will be happy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter