Big Thunder Mountain Construction Photos. (10-1-2016)

Accident

DIS Veteran
There was another thread asking about photos but I couldn't find it so I made a new one..

These are taken from the ground and the steam ship. I didn't have a chance to ride the railroad to see if I could get some pics of the other side from the train.

20161001_103607.jpg

Some changes in the last few weeks, the scaffolding no longer goes all the way up the mountain so they are making some great progress with the exterior paining. There is a lot of grinding noise and at first I thought they were doing a track replacement but it might be that the exit queue is all inside work and minimal outside change. There is some sections of track that do look like they have been replaced though as they don't color match the rest. (not sure if you can see it in the photos).

Walls up (first pick shows the kids games they have out to entertain a little).

20161001_095528.jpg 20161001_095550.jpg

And the steam ship side:

20161001_103646.jpg 20161001_103749.jpg 20161001_103532.jpg 20161001_103642_001.jpg 20161001_103644.jpg 20161001_103746.jpg 20161001_103458.jpg

Last edited:
Great photos, thank you. Are they re-doing the entry queue? Sorry if this is common knowledge, just haven't seen it anywhere.

The refurb was originally scheduled for earlier in the year and I remember reading they would be working on changing the exit queue, not the entrance. Since it was delayed and how they are painting all of MK right now it wouldn't' surprise me if what they plan to work on changed or got expanded.

I just assumed they might be trying to made the walkway wider to get people out faster or putting in a gift shop after the ride. That corner, even though it has one, none of them are as you exit the ride and we all know disney and their love for rides ending inside a shop.

Overnight change....

The wall by the entrance has moved closer to the river. Will post pics tomorrow. Too busy getting 200 in candy to cover my party ticket right now.

Looking over the photos I took last night, it's really hard to tell how the walls changed with how dark that corner is kept (and even more darker with the walls blocking some of the lighting that isn't even on behind them. Basically the area just to the right of the entrance, where the fastpass line would be, they bumped out the wall for about 20 feet long and about 15 feet out. It's a very small, 2 people side by side max walkway past the wall now. No real clue on what they are doing it's hard to see it as those walls are rather tall (tallest I've seen disney use, even taller than the ones in HS for everything). Similar to the walls blocking the paths that lead to pandora in ak.

I'm not going to post the pictures, it's just walls and you can't really tell what's different.

Came in late August then will be back in late October. 2 trips with no big thunder is hard! Will be back Christmas week so I'll get my fix then

Great photos, thanks for the update! I really wish they'd add ride photos to this ride. I so wish it were there when I took my son on it for the 1st time in 2013. Talk about deer in the headlights. I literally spent the whole ride watching his face. It was great.

My son was so excited to finally be tall enough to ride this ride and now it's going to be closed while we are there. :(

:earsboy:Thanks so much Accident! Those are awesome pics and good to see just how much love the mountain is getting! And good to know some of the scaffolding has been removed, progress is happening.....and if it can magically open early for my trip the week prior I will be one happy fairy....:tink:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter