Big Island Lava Flow Helicopter Recommendations

JudyMouse

Earning My Ears
I have a 8 day trip to Aulani planned for mid-March with 8 adults (1st stay as DVC Members!!!).
My MIL would like to see the lava flow on the Big Island and I'd like to make it happen for her. The helicopter tours seem the most accessible way to do this. I'm hoping to plan a day trip to fly to Hilo in the early morning and back the same day in the early evening.

I have a few questions:
Does anyone have any recommendations on which company to go with for the tour? Any companies you I should stay away from? I'm happy to split my group of 8 into two if needed.

Did it meet your expectations?

It sounds like the best time to go is at night, but are the afternoon hour tours ok too?

Thanks in advance for all the help!
Judy

Google Lava Boat Tours. We prefer that to the helicopter. That said, we've used Blue Hawaiian and had a great time. I know Paradise is also an excellent company.

A Lava Boat Tour was my first thought, but the websites seem to warn against tough waters and my MIL gets sea sick every time she gets on boat. I'll suggest this to her though. I'll look into Blue Hawaiian too. Thanks!

A Lava Boat Tour was my first thought, but the websites seem to warn against tough waters and my MIL gets sea sick every time she gets on boat. I'll suggest this to her though. I'll look into Blue Hawaiian too. Thanks!

My wife gets seasick but handled it ok. She may have taken some damamine. I like the lava boat because you can feel the heat and hear all the sounds. Whether by copter or boat its still a great experience and worth the trip.

Has she ever gone up in a helicopter? If she gets sea sick, the helo might be a little challenging for her too.

A helicopter tour is a great way to see the volcanic activity on the Big Island. And it doesn't matter when you take a flight because the views can be spectacular any time of the day.

Blue Hawaiian Helicopter offers several volcano helicopter tours from Hilo and from Kailua-Kona. They are probably the premier helicopter tour company in Hawaii and they offer tours on each of the Hawaiian Islands.

One problem with boat tours is that if the lava isn't flowing into the ocean then the views aren't that great from a boat. Also, even if the lava is flowing into the ocean, your boat may not be able to get close to the point of entry as a safety precaution. Lava hitting seawater can cause dangerous explosions and gases, and reputable tour companies adhere to a safety zone recommended by the National Park Service.

If you decide that you don't want to do a helicopter or boat tour, then there are some very interesting land tours that will get you quite close to the volcano. We had a very good experience with Kailani Tours Hawaii (see kailanitourshawaii.com) during a recent visit to the Big Island. They offer several different tours but they will work with you to tailor a tour to meet your needs.

By the way, the USGS' Hawaii Volcano Observatory website (see https://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/activity/kilaueastatus.php) is an excellent source for information about volcano activity on the Big Island. It has daily updates and frequently has maps, photos, and videos that show what's happening with the volcanoes.

Has she ever gone up in a helicopter? If she gets sea sick, the helo might be a little challenging for her too.

She has not been on a helicopter but would like to try it.

Blue Hawaiian Helicopter offers several volcano helicopter tours from Hilo and from Kailua-Kona. They are probably the premier helicopter tour company in Hawaii and they offer tours on each of the Hawaiian Islands.

If we end up with a helicopter tour I think it will be Blue Hawaiian.

Thank you so much for the info everyone!

By the way, the USGS' Hawaii Volcano Observatory website (see https://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/activity/kilaueastatus.php) is an excellent source for information about volcano activity on the Big Island. It has daily updates and frequently has maps, photos, and videos that show what's happening with the volcanoes.

Thanks for the link!! Pretty interesting; I'll definitely be checking that link leading up to my trip. When they remind you that it's spewing hydrochloric acid when it mixes with water, it sorta sinks in not to get too close!

We tried to do a helicopter tour but it was cancelled due to rain. We were told to come back the next day to try again, but flights were once again grounded due to weather so we just got our money back. Not sure if it was just the company we chose, but be aware rain is typical in Hilo. Honestly though, if you just have one day, I would recommend just renting a car and exploring the Volcano National park.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter