Best Time to Go?

MamaBelleRN

Mouseketeer
We are planning our second trip to WDW for our family of seven. Initially, I was only looking at going at the end of November this year with a plan to arrive the Monday after Thanksgiving and staying nine nights. My concern with this is the amount of school my two oldest would miss. They go to a private school and there are no hard and fast rules about missing for vacation, but this would be nearly two weeks missed. I like the idea of November for the option of doing MVMCP, low crowds and value season.

Now, I am considering moving it to June 2018 (although that seems awfully far away!). They are out of school by June 3rd , so we would leave the day after they get out and possibly stay a bit longer as we would not have the worry about missing school. My concern for this time is crowd levels and heat, but I am tempted by the option of a longer stay. This June does not work as I will be on unpaid maternity leave.

Between November 2017 and June 2018, which would you choose and why?

Maybe February break? What grades are your kids?

Maybe February break? What grades are your kids?

They will be in first and fifth. I'm not worried about the first grader, but that much time seems like a lot for a fifth grader. We found seven nights to be not quite enough to allow for a slower pace/non-park days to keep everyone from being overexerted and still see and do everything we'd like. Touring definitely takes more time with a large group!

They will be in first and fifth. I'm not worried about the first grader, but that much time seems like a lot for a fifth grader. We found seven nights to be not quite enough to allow for a slower pace/non-park days to keep everyone from being overexerted and still see and do everything we'd like. Touring definitely takes more time with a large group!
For the fifth grader I would probably go during his February break and extend that vacation so that he doesn't miss 2 weeks from school.

For the fifth grader I would probably go during his February break and extend that vacation so that he doesn't miss 2 weeks from school.

We don't get a February break, unfortunately. The only long breaks we get are Christmas and Spring break. The rest of our days off are scattered as several single days off (such as a Monday or a Friday, rarely grouped together).

I would definitely go in Nov. we have gone in august 4 times and the weather is so hot and humid, along with high crowd levels. June is similar. We now go the first week of May. It is gorgeous with moderate crowds. Nov will have similar weather, maybe a bit cooler, and crowds typically arent to bad. If your school doesnt have an issue and your son can take work with him I would choose Nov. It is a way more relaxed time and beautiful weather along with the holiday decor!

I actually love going in August, and have gone several times the last week (or last two weeks) of that month. Yes, it's hot and humid, but the crowds are the lowest you will ever see. My longest trip was 15 nights in August. Most trips the last 11 years have been just me and the kids, as that one was, and it was nice and relaxing!

Early June is okay as far as crowds; not as crowded as Easter (which we did last year).

Spring break -we have gone most years. The crowds are only super busy when it's Easter. Otherwise, the weather is usually lovely, not too hot most years, and crowds are fine.

End of November/early December used to be totally dead at Disney (it was years ago when we went). Now, though, with the MVMCP, it seems not so much. Plus, it can be COLD, you never know. We've been many times before Christmas as well as over Christmas and New Year's, and sometimes it is downright freezing.

If it were me, I'd go early June. Don't tell my kids' old school, but when they were in Kindergarten and second grade, I called them in sick the last week of school from Disney (that school had issues with parents taking their kids out of school for Disney trips, so I thought, forget them we're going!). That last week, they miss nothing anyway! Low crowds and fun!

happymommy, I thought it's better to go in summer, but if you say that it's hot in August there, isn't it better to go in the end of September? I don't want to go when it's too hot or too cold. TIA

I've never been the end of September, but it's probably better weather. You'll still get the afternoon rain likely, but that doesn't ever stop the fun! The parks will be decorated for Halloween, which is cute!

Weather is unpredictable. It will still be a bit hot, but likely less so. I like the warm weather!

Out of those two suggestions (November/June), I would suggest November. If heat is a concern for you, I wouldn't suggest going in June... Orlando saw heat indexes of 105 degrees last June almost all month long (I swear it was 100+ degrees for the entire summer) and while you'd be able to extend your trip for longer... you'd need to with all the breaks you'd have to take to leave the parks during the hottest parts of the day. While I'm not going to say it'll be 'cold' in November, it'll be considerably cooler. Not to mention the other reasons you mentioned (value season, low crowds, MVMCP).

My kids also go to private school and we have pulled them out in the past.
First trip was November and the weather was nice but it was starting to get chilly. The kids were ok with missing school but the ones that were in school at the time were advanced everything.
We have made a beginning of May trip, historically my kids get out the 3rd week of May so they weren't doing a whole lot in school then, so it wasn't a big deal to miss. This was mild/moderate crowds. Weather was great, just beginning to get hot though.
We have made a trip at the end of May through beginning of June and the crowds had really increased and the weather was really getting warm.
We went the end of August through Labor day this last time and crowds were great but we had crappy weather... we were there when Hermine was there so I wouldn't recommend that time of year at all. Also, my son had a lot of issues with missing school this time, we were there for 14 days... He did all his homework while we were there (we had a lot of downtime from the weather and our little one who has ptsd/sensory issues, so it was all completed) but he is *just now* getting to where he feels like he is caught up. I doubt I will ever pull them out of school for more than a few days again.
Our next trip will be during their spring break (which is not over Easter break, thankfully) so that is when we are going. I have a friend who swears by going in early March, so I'm hoping we will love it.

I have been to Orlando in January and the weather was too cold for me, it was 60's. We went in July once and it was so hot and humid. We just went to Disney in November and the weather was perfect. High 70's to low 80's and it never rained. We were there the first week in November, but it was also really busy. I am torn between going during a slower time with not perfect weather or back in November but with the crowds.

We don't get a February break, unfortunately. The only long breaks we get are Christmas and Spring break. The rest of our days off are scattered as several single days off (such as a Monday or a Friday, rarely grouped to

How long is your extended break in the Spring? My kids are in private school in the UK. We used to get 3 weeks, not sure what you call them in the US, but over here it's state schools, they get 2 weeks. Now so do we, which is a real shame as far as a Disney holiday goes :hyper: . We went in 2015 during their final week off, with some days off school as well for the second week of the holiday, which isn't ideal as they get older. I get where you're coming from cos we won't do that again now that they're older. Only maybe a day or two at most. Does your spring school holiday go beyond spring break and Easter?

Our Easter holiday over here doesn't always coincide with your spring break. That year it was a late Easter so we arrived just after Easter and spring break had come to an end. By the time we got there it was busy our first couple of days then not bad at all. I so wish we could do that again, but sadly that extra week off school in April has gone forever for us :confused:. We're left with July or August. We know that late August is quieter, but more humid. But for us, that's a trade off we are looking at making. As late in August as we can, extending just into September giving them a couple of days to get over the jetlag before a new school year.

How long is your extended break in the Spring? My kids are in private school in the UK. We used to get 3 weeks, not sure what you call them in the US, but over here it's state schools, they get 2 weeks. Now so do we, which is a real shame as far as a Disney holiday goes :hyper: . We went in 2015 during their final week off, with some days off school as well for the second week of the holiday, which isn't ideal as they get older. I get where you're coming from cos we won't do that again now that they're older. Only maybe a day or two at most. Does your spring school holiday go beyond spring break and Easter?

Our Easter holiday over here doesn't always coincide with your spring break. That year it was a late Easter so we arrived just after Easter and spring break had come to an end. By the time we got there it was busy our first couple of days then not bad at all. I so wish we could do that again, but sadly that extra week off school in April has gone forever for us :confused:. We're left with July or August. We know that late August is quieter, but more humid. But for us, that's a trade off we are looking at making. As late in August as we can, extending just into September giving them a couple of days to get over the jetlag before a new school year.

We only get a one week spring break :sad2: It does not typically coincide with Easter, but that varies with the year. This year, spring break is the first week of April. I want to avoid the spring break crowds, so we will likely pull our kids out to go. The private school my children attend has no issue with this. The general consensus at their school is children are only young once and family times/memories are important. This certainly makes it less stressful to pull them out of school to go to WDW:earsboy:

We only get a one week spring break :sad2: It does not typically coincide with Easter, but that varies with the year. This year, spring break is the first week of April. I want to avoid the spring break crowds, so we will likely pull our kids out to go. The private school my children attend has no issue with this. The general consensus at their school is children are only young once and family times/memories are important. This certainly makes it less stressful to pull them out of school to go to WDW:earsboy:

Looks like your best option would be a little time out of school, especially if they are ok about it, that leaves very little time outside of school term time otherwise for you by the sound of it. Especially if you're wanting to stay for longer. And I would want to try to avoid the spring break crowds too. My eldest has started high school and it is so fast paced right now we can't think of pulling her out. The only way we could do that would be the end of summer term but that would mean we'd be arriving around your 4th July celebrations so we wouldn't gain much, the crowds would be too much for us.

In the U.K. all schools really do not like us taking the children out and the state schools can even fine parents when they do. Even so, some parents have been known to pay the fine and still save a considerable amount of money on the cost of the holiday. There is a huge difference over here on flight prices during school holidays :sad2:

Love Christmas, Love Thanksgiving, Love Spring, Love Early Summer, Hate late Summer...ahh heck..love ANYTIME at WDW~

Looks like your best option would be a little time out of school, especially if they are ok about it, that leaves very little time outside of school term time otherwise for you by the sound of it. Especially if you're wanting to stay for longer. And I would want to try to avoid the spring break crowds too. My eldest has started high school and it is so fast paced right now we can't think of pulling her out. The only way we could do that would be the end of summer term but that would mean we'd be arriving around your 4th July celebrations so we wouldn't gain much, the crowds would be too much for us.

In the U.K. all schools really do not like us taking the children out and the state schools can even fine parents when they do. Even so, some parents have been known to pay the fine and still save a considerable amount of money on the cost of the holiday. There is a huge difference over here on flight prices during school holidays :sad2:

My oldest is currently in fourth grade. I too would not consider pulling a high schooler out! As you said, the pace is much faster once they reach high school and the stress of makeup work would be too much (and some teachers would likely not accept work missed for vacation). Have you decided on late August/early September for your next trip?

y oldest is currently in fourth grade. I too would not consider pulling a high schooler out! As you said, the pace is much faster once they reach high school and the stress of makeup work would be too much (and some teachers would likely not accept work missed for vacation). Have you decided on late August/early September for your next trip?

We took them out of school in 2015 when we went and didn't feel guilty :goodvibes . It was a lovely time of year to go and we made some great memories. But now she's in high school, it's all changed. Yes, we need to look at the end of August. We know it will be humid, I've been in August before, and if I had more options it wouldn't be my first pick. But until they're old enough for us to leave them at home and go as a couple :banana:we're a bit more restricted now she's older. My husband keeps jokingly telling them he can't wait to go at any time of year he likes. They can look after the dogs and we'll send them a postcard:rotfl:

I'd love to go for three weeks one day too....I'll keep dreaming

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter