Best spot in Sydney for watching New years eve fireworks

April scott

Earning My Ears
Hello everyone! I'm just curious about the greatest places to spend New Year's Eve with family. Suggestions are welcome for parks, restaurants, and cruises. I appreciate you.

Hello everyone! I'm just curious about the greatest places to spend New Year's Eve with family. Suggestions are welcome for parks, restaurants, and cruises. I appreciate you.
Do a search on Google and you will come up with paying events and free but ticketed parks. There is a range of paying vantage points available and expensive. Start looking now as some places have already starting selling tickets. The botanic gardens is a paid event and sells out quickly. You can also go to Taronga zoo which has levels of tickets. There is usually 2 fireworks shows the family show at approximately 9pm and the show at midnight. Which ever you decided on doing it will be a very long day you cannot just arrive an hour before the fireworks. I know this may sound negative but with big events it is better to be prepared with information than arrive unaware. Most people catch public transport as many roads in the city will be closed. It is very busy getting into the city but that is nothing compared to trying to leave the city. It is a nightmare trying to leave everyone converges on the train stations at once. It gets so busy that they are often closed for a period of time due to safety issues. Although extremely expensive I have always thought it might be a great idea to get a hotel room in the city or darling harbour so that we could enjoy the fireworks and walk back to room.

ok. thankyou, but most of the peeps told me about the cruise related NYE experience may be great , what about that?

The James Craig is one of the better NYE cruises. Whichever you choose, make sure the boat is IN the Parade of Lights. There’s a bit of a thing in Sydney not to eat on anything that revolves or floats but the food on the James Craig is pretty good.
Best depends on your budget really. The cheaper an event or viewing area is, the earlier you’ll have to arrive. Many arrive very early in the morning and save their spots all day for the free and inexpensive areas and these areas are usually closed to new arrivals by mid morning. some are byo as well with no food or drinks available onsite.
The Botanical Gardens is one of the better paid events. The Taronga Zoo is also good although it’s further away from the bridge. Never tried a restaurant but if you do get tickets for an event, you’ll also receive a precinct pass as the areas around the Harbour are closed off to those without a ticket.
https://www.sydney.com/destinations/sydney/sydney-city/new-years-eve-sydney
https://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/sydney-new-years-eve

I recently go through the sydney.com and got to know that there are other cruises, i interested in the showboat cruises . its like a vintage one and its run by australiancruisegroup.com.au and i like it too. unexpectedly i got their website and there are other cruises also.

Last edited:
The Showboat cruises are probably a bit adult for a family, they tend to be more like party cruises with free flowing alcohol and mature entertainment.
But yes there are plenty of cruise options.

and also i saw the glass boat , named as clearview i think....its so beautiful ....i guess i may take either showboat or clearview...depends about the bucks i have.,..hehe

I meant to reply to this earlier, but apparently I forgot 😅

Many years ago 2003/2004/2005 we used to go every year to observatory hill. It used to free and non ticketed, but I'm pretty sure it has changed since then.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter