Best parts of WDW for adults?

Jen125

Earning My Ears
Hi
My sister and I (both in our 30s) are going to WDW in November - first time for both of us. We're super excited to check everything out, but there seems to be so much there so we'll have to prioritise.

What are the best parts of WDW for adults? Are there any parts that are really better for little kids that we could skip (or at least not spend too much time at).

This is Disney; being child-like with the wonder in everything that you see, do, hear, and feel is what WDW is there for. Let yourself go and be a kid again, you are on vacation. True you will not be able to do everything, yes you will have to do some planning and scheduling but remember to build in some relaxing time. My one suggestion for going to WDW that has received the most support on these board is:
Go to the parks for two days in a row, take a day off, go to the parks for two days in a row, take a day off, etc.
This way you can enjoy some of things outside the parks depending upon what you are into:
sports: golf, mini-golf, fishing, marathon, bowling, ESPN Club, WWS/ESPN Zone, etc
shopping: DTD, area outlet malls, large scale malls
drinking: Jellyrolls, Raglan Road, monorail tour of resorts, walking tour of resorts in the Boardwalk area
movies: DTD 24 screen theater some with meals served by waiters
night clubbing: Jellyrolls, Atlantic Dance, Raglan Road, Citywalk
resort tours: monorail tour of resorts, Boardwalk around the lake tour of resorts, horse drawn tour of FWC, AKL/AKV
offsite: Gaylord Palms Resort, Citywalk, swamp tour
eating: Formal GF 5* Chef's Table @ V&As

If you are going before 11/14, the Food & Wine Festival at Epcot is enjoyable. We are adults and just love being kids! Explore the rides online. ( you can even check out YouTube - unless you don't want a spoiler alert). There are so many great rides. Our favorites are Soarin, Expedition Everest, Kilamanjaro Safari,Kali River Rapids, Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, Test Track, 7 Dwarfs, getting pictures taken with Characters, eating at Chef Mickey's. The list can go on and on. There are also so many shows to see. The Lion King, Flights of Wonder to name a few. There are also a lot of great restaurants to choose for dining. Enjoy and be the little kid that is trapped inside all of us

My husband and I are empty nesters we love Disney without the kids Disney springs is a must great restaurants save all your shopping for springs send everything back to your resort so you don't have to carry it lots to explore make sure to fit this in
the parks at night are great too normally families with small children tend to leave after the first parade stay as late as you can rides lines are shorter and avoid crowed bus rides back to your resort by leaving later
Take pictures with characters they love posing with adults
Sit on a bench take a minute to relax
head back to your resort in the afternoon take a nap enjoy the pool when you come back to your resort at night enjoy a cocktail
Mostly be a kid again have a dole whip ride the monorail to resorts to explore take the ferry eat at off times like lunch after 1:00 or dinner after 8:00 try a tour like keys to the kingdom where everyone must be over 16
have a magicial time

Last edited:

As an adult I do enjoy the world showcase at Epcot. Nevertheless when I feel like being a kid and enjoy the various rides I typically enjoy the more grown up rides (roller coasters, Star Tours, ToT, haunted mansion, etc) first and save the more kids rides for last and typically later in the evening. Good luck with your planning and trip.

com_op_2000 has a pretty good list.

I second lustergirl's recommendation of the World Showcase in general. When we stayed at the Boardwalk we would wander over the World Showcase almost every evening.

I also second linleedo's suggestion of the various shows. Lion King is our favorite. And hearts8701's suggestion to just pause and find a bench to sit, relax, and watch the world go by. Perhaps add your favorite treat, a Mickey Bar or an adult beverage.

To these I would add:
If you have time, take one of the "behind the scene" tours.
The Hall of the Presidents in MK and the American Experience in World Showcase.

At MK we don't spend much time in Fantasyland except for Peter Pan, a classic and DW's favorite, and PhilharMagic, a wonderful 3D film.
Likewise we don't spend much time in Dinoland in AK.

As this is your first visit your list of to do's will be much longer than your available time. Happens to everyone. Spend a few minutes to try and prioritize your list then relax and get ready for a magical trip.

It is totally your personality that will define what you do. All of the parks are great. Just make sure to utilize fast pass 30 days ahead (60 if staying at an onsite hotel). Know that they will add hours as time gets closer, too. We are going mid-November so still waiting on what is going to happen. Is Rivers of Light going to be there? Is Animal Kingdom going to be open late? They will even add hours on that day or only days ahead of time. I am very good at utilizing the app, on my phone, and it slipped by me that Magic Kingdom hours were extended one night. I rode by in the monorail, saw it was open, and changed my plans to hit that park late! I prefer staying out later and sleeping in. I feel that works better for adults. But do not be afraid to master the App.

Spend the money and do a Very Merry Christmas Party! Free cookies and no ride wait times!

Hit the thrill rides: Tower of Terror, Rockin' Roller Coaster, Everest, Space Mountain. Make funny faces at the camera, lol. If you go late at night, or utilize Extra Magic Hours, the lines are shorter. Right near close, you can ride them over and over again without much of a wait. Especially Extra Magic Hours, where only people staying on site can get in to the parks. Yes, it is true, if a park is open late, it is the only place to be, and can be crowded at the start of the late hours, but as time winds down, it empty's out. Also remember, many of the families, with kids, go home. Extra Magic Hours means they extended park hours only to hotel guests. Often they keep the parks open later for everyone and that is when they add more time the day of. Either way, these work best, for shorter lines, at the parks that stay open past 9pm.

Then hit the less thrilly thrill rides, Mine Train, Splash Mountain (my favorite), Thunder Mountain (if you are going late November, as it is under refurbishment and is supposed to open the 19th [hopefully sooner]), Dinosour is even a bit scary, Test Track, Soarin' (New movie and an extra theater now for less wait times!).

And don't be afraid of the nostalgic and less scary rides. They are still fun for an adult! Pirates of the Caribbean, Walk the Tree House near it, Haunted Mansion!, Kali River Raipids (you might get wet), Kilimanjaro Safari, It's Tough To Be A Bug is a fun movie ride, Frozen, ect... You really won't know which ones to avoid until you try them all! There are a lot of the rides my Fiance and I do not ride, but you have to try them for yourselves! Some, like the boat ride in the Mexican Pavilion, are so cheesy that they are fun in their own weird way. As long as you go in with a happy heart and an open mind. :D

Obviously drink and eat around the world at Epcot. If you can, pay the money for a dining plan! I believe it makes the trip so much more fun. Some of the more sought after restaurants are booked (Be Our Guest, Ohana, Chef Mickey's, among many others) but don't let that discourage you. Keep checking for reservations multiple times a day. It is just 2 of you, so there is more of a chance. Check for reservations at Be Our Guest for breakfast or lunch too. Those are quick service meal credits and therefor less money. You have to see the Ballroom and the West Wing!

Spend a day relaxing at Typhoon Lagoon if you want. Then go out at night to a park.

Check out the resorts! They are cool to see. And each gift shop will have their own unique items. Maybe take a boat from Magic Kingdom to Fort Wilderness and The Wilderness Lodge. Ride the Monorail to Polynesian, Contemporary and Grand Floridian. Check out the Beach and Yacht Club. If you like Sea-Food, Cape May is delicious.Check out the shops on the Boardwalk and then walk into Epcot. All three of those resorts are walking distance to Epcot.

Obviously check out Disney Springs if you like to shop.

Don't be afraid to take pictures with characters! :D

The moderate resorts are cool too. I love the restaurant at Caribbean Beach. Not well known but amazing steaks. The restaurant at Coronado Springs has a guy playing guitar at night and they have tequila samplers.

Just remember, if you go in and just wing it, you will be waiting in lines and not having as much fun. Make sure to plan ahead. It is overwhelming but do not give up. We were all there at one point.

Last edited:
The only thing we skipped because we were just adults was the Disney Junior show. We don't get the Disney Channel, so those characters mean nothing to me at all. Weren't eligible for the Jedi Training Academy (they need an adult version of that!)

Otherwise, we rode pretty much everything and I love meeting characters so did that a lot too. If you want to try it, do it!

Well said Boomerdog!

Since you brought it up I am going to mention one additional nostalgic ride: Carousel of Progress in MK. Originally created for the 1964 NY World's Fair it is a wonderful reminder of Walt's story telling magic.

I love Disney as an adult with no kids!! The only ones we generally don't absolutely love are the ones that spin on an axis like Dumbo. They are very simple and the little ones love them, but they are not super interesting to us in our early 30s. Otherwise, I find everything enjoyable!

I love the ability to go as I please and meet some amazing people. standing in a line queue and striking up conversation is the best!

Hi
My sister and I (both in our 30s) are going to WDW in November - first time for both of us. We're super excited to check everything out, but there seems to be so much there so we'll have to prioritise.

What are the best parts of WDW for adults? Are there any parts that are really better for little kids that we could skip (or at least not spend too much time at).

First, every park is great for adults! (the kid in all of us) BUT Epcot is amazing for drinking and eating around the world. I recommend checking out a specific drink in France. The Grand Marnier Slush, it's amazing and I tell everyone about it!

I really enjoyed Magic Kingdom, not so much because of the attractions but because of the atmosphere, walking around seeing all the happy people was very relaxing.

First, every park is great for adults! (the kid in all of us) BUT Epcot is amazing for drinking and eating around the world. I recommend checking out a specific drink in France. The Grand Marnier Slush, it's amazing and I tell everyone about it!

Ooh - We'll have to check it out! Thanks!

We always have a monorail resort night, where we go to all 3 resorts and check out their shops, dining, grounds and just enjoy the general ambience. Plus we get to ride the monorail, I want to marry the guy giving the safety instructions! That voice brings me joy :flower3:

The World showcase at Epcot, all though it's also a good chance for the adults to experience all the magic with out the children, (if you have children) it's one of the things my husband and I love when we go by our selves we get to play the children and ride what we want meet who we want with out the objections of the kids

Hey there!
My husband and I love strolling around the world showcase pavilions, taking the boats or monorail to other hotels and enjoying a drink in one of their lobby's, and taking in some of the classic attractions. We like to research the history behind them, especially ones like the carousel of progress and the tiki room. It makes it all the better when you actually experience it :lovestrucAlso make sure you take in some of the signature dining experiences! Some of my all time favorite meals i've had in my life are from those restaurants!

Enjoy your trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter