Best painless "stretching things" budget tips?

I've spent a couple of hours reading the first 30 pgs of this thread off and on, and now I have to get some sleep but wanted to post some of our tips before I forget. Sorry if any are repeats!

We do these things for various health, environmental, and money-saving reasons:

We never buy soda or juice and primarily drink water. The kids even have reusable water bottles they take to school for lunch. Even at restaurants, we just ask for lemon to squeeze in for flavor (this saves at least $10 every time we eat out).
Buy huge handsoap refills and refill bathroom and kitchen hand soap dispensers.
Bake our own bread using a bread machine to make it easy (DH actually usually does this chore and throws in the ingredients). I also have an easy jelly recipe for the bread maker.
Bake & cook homemade -- no pre-made mixes or boxed meals.
Also bake snacks (muffins, nutrigrain style cereal bars, cookies, granola bars, etc).
Make our own pizza dough, buns/rolls.
No baggies (I have been using snack sacks from Snacktaxi for yrs but you can get reusable baggies at a lot of stores now. I recently got each child a Lunchbot as well and love them. For food storage I use pyrex, mason jars, and anything else I have on hand. You can buy a lot of those at garage sales, too).
Turned air up 1, heat down 1.
Close curtains on hottest side of house in summer.
No oven when it's too hot (or, if we do, cook early morning). We still use the stovetop.
Buy kids' clothes in advance when they go 75% off (Target often has 75% off racks, and I shop Children's Plc when they have $1-$2 clearance sales and combine it w/ a coupon they've emailed me or look it up on retailmenot.com--you don't have to print out the coupon at TCP; just show them the code on your phone).
Stock up on gifts for kids' friends' bday parties at Target toy clearance.
Went down a tier on tv and saved $15/month w/ negligible channel loss.
Always turn off lights.
Make own smoothies.
Add 1 tsp italian herbs and 1 tsp garlic powder to plain tomato sauce instead of buying pre-seasoned jarred sauces.
Shop in bulk at Costco/Sam's/Amazon subscribe & save.
We used cloth diapers (Motherease one-size) & cloth baby wipes.
I breastfed exclusively.
Reuse bath towels a few times before washing.
No more straws except reusable ones for littlest DS.
Divacup
Reusable/washable mop pad
Make own rice milk (we don't drink dairy).
Buy bulk popcorn kernels and use a $15 air popper instead of microwave bags.
Homemade gifts for certain people i.e. older family members and teachers (soaps/candles, baked goods, scrap books)
I'm going to try making my own soap. I found an organic base for $5-something that makes up to 20 bars of soap (you can add essential oils).

I read some earlier threads about those trying to eat vegetarian or vegan some nights to save money in which people focused on combining beans and rice for a complete protein. Just wanted to let anyone interested in that know that that theory has been replaced with the knowledge that as long as you eat all of the food groups in a day, your body will have everything it needs. You don't have to eat certain things together at the exact same time. Happy Herbivore cookbooks have the easiest meat-free recipes that use basic things everyone has on hand. :)

I have a whole list of things to try and can't wait to finish this awesome thread!
How do you make rice milk?

Is there any secret to freezing diced tomatoes? We have a ton from the garden and I heard you could dice and freeze them. Do you peel them or dice them with the skin on? Use ziplock bags?

I generally freeze my tomatoes whole (I cut the core out) and throw them into ziplocks. When I need them (I try to lay the bag flat so I can get 1-2 out at a time) I just throw them in the microwave and defrost.. then I squeeze the inside out and the trow the skin away (I find it tough). They do not replace FRESH tomatoes this way - but are awesome for sauce/chili (sometimes I add them to canned sauce to thin it and freshen the flavour).

Ok so here are a few from the UK

We grow herbs and salad leaves on our kitchen windowsill year round. We have them in painted plant pots so they look really pretty.

When I cook something in the oven I double up with a pie or quiche that I can eat cold the next day.

I have a press that I bought from a craft store that we save our old soap ends and make new soap with. You just soak old soap ends for about 10 mins, put in the press then squeeze the excess moisture out. Leave the bar to dry for 48 hours and hey presto, free soap.

We grow our own onions and beetroots and pickle them. We use the same compost for about 5 years by feeding it at least every month in the summer and a heavy feed when we leave it covered all winter.

For our outside veggie patch, we make our own liquid fertiliser. Take a bucket, quarter fill with horse poo, then fill to the three quarter mark with water and leave somewhere shady but out of the was for about a month. It smells at first but after a month the smell disappear and you just stir well and it's excellent and organic!

We have house brick in all our toilets to save on water. We have a water butt outside to water our garden. we have an egg timer in the shower to remind everyone when 3 minutes is up.

The rule is...if no-one is in the room, it doesn't need a light on.

We bake our own bread and make our own yogurt in a big thermos flask. Once it's ready we stir in defrosted strawberries and raspberries.

Floor cleaner is really cheap but kitchen surface cleaner isn't so we water down floor cleaner into an old spray bottle. One £! bottle of floor cleaner usually makes 5 bottles of kitchen surface cleaner. Works just as well and is still anti bacterial.

Aldi veggies are really cheap and often better quality than even our best quality supermarkets like Marks and Spencer and Waitrose.

This tip is for Uk DISers. Marks and Spencer £10 deal!!!! We get a three course meal and a bottle of wine for 2 for £10. I often go and buy 3 or 4 at a time. Some of the wine goes in the garage for when we have people round. I make sure I get food that freezes, especially the deserts. Some of the 'starters' are so big that with a side of potato salad that I grow myself (the potatoes not the salad ) and some salad greens, they make lunch for 2. Not something we eat all the time but for an easy meal when we come home from work late they are yummy and I always have a well stocked wine cellar/garage.

An lastly, Cheryl's crumbles surprise. It's basically all our left over veggies, meat and cheese at the end of the week under a savoury crumble served with rosemary potatoes all cooked in the oven at the same time with a fruit crumble made from the left over fruit in the fruit bowl supplemented with frozen fruit and a sweet crumble topping. We leave the crumble in the turned off oven with the door ajar while we eat the main course and it's the perfect temperature when we finish. They all say, what's in it and I just say...a surprise. :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Just thought of another one. I dye older clothes.

Example. 3 years ago my DH bought a grey Captain America shirt in FLA. After around a year it had faded and had started to become only good for a gardening shirt. I dyed it navy blue and it looked amazing. The colours on the design didn't dye and the looked good as new. It helps that I never use the dryer and only air dry at home, outside in summer and the conservatory in winter. This year it was looking faded but he loves it so much so I dyed it black, voila! a new shirt again. The stitching remains the same as the original but that just makes it more unique. A guy stopped us in the mall the other day and asked where h'e bought it. He's been looking for a black one but they only seemed to come in grey or blue. We told him the secret and he went away happy!

A few months ago my favourite cotton capri pants were looking a little old so they got dyed, with the T shirt. They look lovely! And I've brought them with me to Florida. But before i left I wondered just how long I've had them so looked back through our old Disney photos. There I am wearing them when our DD was around 2. She turned 20 this summer! They stated out white, went yellow, them green, then dark blue and now they are black. Thinking back I bought them in a Next sale. I don't know what i paid but as we say in Yorkshire ...they owe me nowt.:woohoo::woohoo:

Hi everyone!

It's been a LONG time since I've posted on this thread, but I've been slowly re-reading through it, trying to get some frugal ideas.

Here are a few resources to share:

*Check out http://www.theprudenthomemaker.com. The woman who writes it also maintains a blog which is updated every week. She has found ways to live more frugally in almost every area of life. Her site is beautiful to look at and interesting to read. Be sure to check out the comments section of her blog posts, as well - her readers have many great suggestions.

*Also spend a few minutes on http://www.onehundreddollarsamonth.com. The author of the blog, Mavis, receives free produce from her local grocery store every week that is destined for the trash - but the food is, in large part, perfectly good. (What isn't edible for humans goes to her chickens).

Even though these aren't ideas, exactly, by spending time on those websites you can find something new that works for you.

This is one of the best threads on the Budget Board! Keep it going :)

This is such a fantastic thread, so let's revive it and start sharing ideas again! :)

The New Year is coming and a lot of us will have financial goals to get back on track - there are thousands of great ideas in this thread. Thanks to everyone who has contributed so far! :)

This is one of my FAVORITE Budget Board threads so I would be delighted to see it make a comeback!!................P

Here is my input for now to keep this thread moving.....

FACEBOOK YARD SALE GROUPS! Oh my heavens above! I have (since about September) joined 4-5 of these groups (mostly local, so no shipping involved) and have bought and sold numerous things. I've made over $200 selling things I just didn't need, things that were outgrown, and just plain old house clutter. And I've bought stuff I wanted/needed at amazing prices!

Some of my recent purchases include a Abercrombie and Fitch men's jacket that retails for $200 for $30 in EXCELLENT used condition (fresh from the dry cleaner!), an "open-but-unused" lightweight sewing machine... exact same brand that I have had for 25 years and love (but it needs repair now) for $50 (and the reviews online were really good..4.5 stars), a real down vest from Talbots (for me :) ) for $8, a Brita slimfit filter pitcher with extra filters for $5 (open but unused). And except for the vest, these purchases were actual NEEDS. DS put on his winter coat a few weeks ago for the first time and he had outgrown it significantly.... and I use my sewing machine frequently and I know it will be costing me at least $75 to have it serviced.... so now I can hold off on the repairs or work on it myself without worrying that I may ruin it and be without a machine. If I end up with two working machines I can hopefully pass one down to DD in a few years! And DD has a Brita pitcher as school and I am anticipating DS needing one as well, so I have it washed up and packed up to save for him.

WOOHOO for the year-round online yard sales (as long as you can avoid the stuff that you don't really NEED! :rotfl: )....................P

Just found this thread and I will be going back to read more! Such great ideas!

This is a budget/recipe item but I thought others might be interested in it. About a year ago I saw Giada make this marinara / tomato sauce on the Rachael Ray show and I love it, super easy and easy to make a lot at once. It's also inexpensive and you can make a little or a ton.

I get 2-3 of the large cans of crushed tomato sauce. Pour those into your pot and place on low-medium heat. To the sauce, add two stalks of celery, cleaned and cut in half, two carrots, cleaned and cut in half, and a medium onion, paper removed and cut in half. Add spices you like (I use salt, pepper and oregano) and simmer for about a hour to hour and a half. You'll see the veggies are practically falling apart or are already in pieces. If you like, remove them from the sauce, as the flavor of the veggies is already there. However, I like the veggies in there too so I let it cool, and then use my immersion blender to blend the veggies into the sauce. As a final step I add some chopped basil to the sauce, but if you don't care for basil you can leave this out.

I am moving so I'll need to restock my supply. :goodvibes I make lots of it, freeze it flat in quart size ziploc bags and use it for pasta, lasagna, even as a base for chili. So good, and so easy!!

Here is my input for now to keep this thread moving.....

FACEBOOK YARD SALE GROUPS! Oh my heavens above! I have (since about September) joined 4-5 of these groups (mostly local, so no shipping involved) and have bought and sold numerous things. I've made over $200 selling things I just didn't need, things that were outgrown, and just plain old house clutter. And I've bought stuff I wanted/needed at amazing prices!

Some of my recent purchases include a Abercrombie and Fitch men's jacket that retails for $200 for $30 in EXCELLENT used condition (fresh from the dry cleaner!), an "open-but-unused" lightweight sewing machine... exact same brand that I have had for 25 years and love (but it needs repair now) for $50 (and the reviews online were really good..4.5 stars), a real down vest from Talbots (for me :) ) for $8, a Brita slimfit filter pitcher with extra filters for $5 (open but unused). And except for the vest, these purchases were actual NEEDS. DS put on his winter coat a few weeks ago for the first time and he had outgrown it significantly.... and I use my sewing machine frequently and I know it will be costing me at least $75 to have it serviced.... so now I can hold off on the repairs or work on it myself without worrying that I may ruin it and be without a machine. If I end up with two working machines I can hopefully pass one down to DD in a few years! And DD has a Brita pitcher as school and I am anticipating DS needing one as well, so I have it washed up and packed up to save for him.

WOOHOO for the year-round online yard sales (as long as you can avoid the stuff that you don't really NEED! :rotfl: )....................P

Love FB yardsale boards!!!! glad to see this thread moving again :)

I love this thread!! It was the very first thread I read on the DIS and I've been hooked on the DIS ever since!
Lots of great ideas here

Hi everyone!

It's been a LONG time since I've posted on this thread, but I've been slowly re-reading through it, trying to get some frugal ideas.

Here are a few resources to share:

*Check out http://www.theprudenthomemaker.com. The woman who writes it also maintains a blog which is updated every week. She has found ways to live more frugally in almost every area of life. Her site is beautiful to look at and interesting to read. Be sure to check out the comments section of her blog posts, as well - her readers have many great suggestions.

*Also spend a few minutes on http://www.onehundreddollarsamonth.com. The author of the blog, Mavis, receives free produce from her local grocery store every week that is destined for the trash - but the food is, in large part, perfectly good. (What isn't edible for humans goes to her chickens).

Even though these aren't ideas, exactly, by spending time on those websites you can find something new that works for you.

This is one of the best threads on the Budget Board! Keep it going :)

Thank you for posting the link to the prudent homemaker. I've been looking it over and found some great recipes and ideas. I love the feel of the site! :)

I unplug things that aren't in use, like the coffee pot, phone charger...

I cut dryer sheets in half, works just as well and the box lasts twice as long.

I unscrew 2 out of 3 light bulbs in each bathroom just enough so they don't work. It's too bright in there anyway!

I pack my kids lunches everyday and put their sandwiches in the re-usable sandwich boxes. Bought them forever ago for $1 each, saves tons of baggies.

Posting some thoughts/idea so that the thread doesn't fall to page 2!!

#1: Amazon Prime! I never thought I would say this, but I love it! I was very leary when DH bought into this earlier this year, but I have done about 80% of my Christmas shopping this year through Amazon. I've gotten some amazing deals, was able to compare prices right here online in the comfort of my home, so that I KNOW I am getting a good deal when I order. No fighting the crowds or finding a parking spot at the mall... and since I live 45 minutes away from the closest mall and shopping district, this is a HUGE time saver and gas saver for me!~ I can pop on Amazon whenever I have a few minutes free, order a gift, and then get back to my housework or whatever! And since we live in LOVELY TAX-FREE NH, I have done some ordering for my Mom on some big ticket items she wanted to buy for gifts. I've ordered for her here, I'll wrap them for her, and then bring them to her when we travel there next week. I get the air miles, since I am using my SW Rewards card, and she gets the bonus of not paying state tax or shipping, and I've done her wrapping! Plus she knows I am a pretty savvy shopper and have found the best deals possible! WIN-WIN!

In addition to that, DH has set up a recurring shipment of a crucial supplement and a homeopathic medication that DS takes daily. It was MUCH cheaper than buying if from the homeopathic doctor and saves the the trouble of panicking when we run out!

#2. Groupon..... again, I was initially VERY LEARY of this. I let DH be the first to "pop" on a Groupon deal. He bought a bunch of oil change coupons for a local Midas location. It worked out so well that when the deal came up again last month, I bought it again! CANNOT BEAT $12.99 for an oil change and tire rotation!!

I have also bought two Christmas presents this year ( for experiences, not products.... won't go into detail since a particular family member lurks on here frequently). Haven't bought any restaurant Groupons, since we rarely eat out, but there are plenty on there that seem like a decent deal. The ONLY issue I have had was that I bought the Starbucks "get $10 for $5" deal last month and had the deal emailed to DD at college for a surprise. She saved it until this week and wanted to splurge on a hot beverage for herself and a study friend.... but the on-campus location would not accept it. :sad: Fortunately, DD had cash with her to pay for it, or it would have been embarrassing. I told her we would bring it home and use the coupon to buy a GIFT CARD and then she could take the gift card to use on campus, but she said they don't accept those either! So I'll probably buy the gift card and give it to someone else for Christmas. I'm not a Starbucks fan. And honestly.... that probably wasn't a Groupon issue.... more like a Starbucks issue.

If you want a reason why this fits the "stretching" part of this thread..... it has STRETCHED my Christmas budget!

That's it for now!...................P

Vinegar is my cheap go to for scrubbing kitchen floors - its an antibacterial agent. No need to rinse the floor when clean. I use it as softener in the washer. I clean my windows with it. Its a great toilet bowl cleaner. Cuts grease on my stove. Absorbs odors in the kitchen when I cook onions.

So by eliminating the need to buy softener ($13.00 for the snuggle I use to buy), toilet bowl cleaner ($4.00 a bottle and I have two bathrooms = $8) and glass cleaner =$3.50) I save quit a bit and I am using something that is all natural and chemical free.

I get a huge 1.32 gallon bottle for $3.28 at Sams or Costco.

Just used vinegar and baking soda the other day to scrub the residue off of my car headlights. A kit at Walmart to restore the headlight was $28! My dealship sent out coupons for the same service and they wanted $70!!!!!!!!! I probably spend $3 to scrub two sets of headlights

OH and vinegar and baking soda is a great drain cleaner. Once a month I boil and big pot of water and pour it down the drains. Immediately I pour baking soda and vinegar down the drain followed by another pot of hot water to loosen all that grime.

My neighbor is an appliance repairman and says Tang cleans the drum...it is the citric acid. Does the vinegar remove any stains or just mineral build up?

When we moved into our house the front porch had rust marks. The previous owner had hanging plants on metal chains which lead to the rust marks. I lightly wetted the rust spot, pour some Tang on it let it sit and scrub with a brush. All the rust disappeared!

I agree with what shelly F Ohio said. I was canning and of course there was a lot of burned on, almost baked on residue on the stove. I cleaned it with everything in the house. Every day, I would get out the magic erasers, oxi clean, sprays of this and more cleaners of that. There were some spots that simply would not budge. After almost 2 months, I remembered the vinegar and baking soda. I poured the vinegar on the stove top, added enough baking soda to make a paste, and let it sit for 20 minutes while I wiped and cleaned the kitchen. When I went back to the stove, it cleaned up with 1 swipe. I should have done that a month prior and saved myself a lot of elbow grease and aggravation.

pampam said:
I agree with what shelly F Ohio said. I was canning and of course there was a lot of burned on, almost baked on residue on the stove. I cleaned it with everything in the house. Every day, I would get out the magic erasers, oxi clean, sprays of this and more cleaners of that. There were some spots that simply would not budge. After almost 2 months, I remembered the vinegar and baking soda. I poured the vinegar on the stove top, added enough baking soda to make a paste, and let it sit for 20 minutes while I wiped and cleaned the kitchen. When I went back to the stove, it cleaned up with 1 swipe. I should have done that a month prior and saved myself a lot of elbow grease and aggravation.

Thankyou so much for the advice. You posted this at the most perfect time for me. I was cleaning my kitchen, looked at my stove and got overwhelmed by how disgusting it was and decided to take a break and go on the disboards. As I was catching up on all the threads I read your post and immediately went to my kitchen. I followed your instructions and now my stove is beautiful again!

Count me in as a vinegar cleaner, as well. I use vinegar and baking soda for most of the cleaning; I was skeptical, then I used some water and vinegar in a spray bottle to clean my fridge and with very little to no elbow grease it took off the caked on, gross fridge grime. As a PP said, the best part is it's SO cheap!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter