Best Mode of Transport from Wyndham Bonnet Creek to Tampa Rays Game

michelepa

DIS Veteran
We will not have a car for our stay but it looks like the cheapest way to get from the Orlando area to Tampa for the Rays opening game on April 2nd is to rent a car at least for the day. Not too savvy about car rentals.

My husband and son plan on traveling on the morning of April 2nd from Orlando to the 1:10 Rays game and then flying out of the Tampa airport that evening at 6:30 ~ continuing their goal of visiting every pro ball park to watch a game. (How lucky are they that opening day is during our spring break and, of the two games scheduled that day, one game is so close to Orlando where we are going to watch son paly high school baseball.)

Any thoughts from those in the know of how to handle transport from hotel to game and game to airport? They will have their luggage with them. Times are tight and I am concerned about them needing to drop off rental car, check luggage and get thru security, even if they leave game at 4:00. Can they drop off rental car, check in and check luggage, take an uber to the game and after game uber back to airport to save time? Can you take any type of uber level from the Tampa airport or only the most expensive uber?

Thanks for the expert help with this!

https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/location/unitedstates/florida/orlando/ORLC08

There is a rental car desk across the street at the Hilton Bonnet Creek resort. I think a one day car rental would be your best bet. If you are staying in one of the vacation club villas at the Wyndham, take advantage of the car and pick up some supplies at one of the local supermarkets. The villas at the Wyndham are my preferred accommodations. I just booked a stay there today for the Food and Wine classic in October.

After re-reading your post, my above advice probably isn't helpful. Sorry

We will not have a car for our stay but it looks like the cheapest way to get from the Orlando area to Tampa for the Rays opening game on April 2nd is to rent a car at least for the day. Not too savvy about car rentals.

My husband and son plan on traveling on the morning of April 2nd from Orlando to the 1:10 Rays game and then flying out of the Tampa airport that evening at 6:30 ~ continuing their goal of visiting every pro ball park to watch a game. (How lucky are they that opening day is during our spring break and, of the two games scheduled that day, one game is so close to Orlando where we are going to watch son paly high school baseball.)

Any thoughts from those in the know of how to handle transport from hotel to game and game to airport? They will have their luggage with them. Times are tight and I am concerned about them needing to drop off rental car, check luggage and get thru security, even if they leave game at 4:00. Can they drop off rental car, check in and check luggage, take an uber to the game and after game uber back to airport to save time? Can you take any type of uber level from the Tampa airport or only the most expensive uber?

Thanks for the expert help with this!

If you plan to rent a car in Orlando and drop it off in Tampa, there can be a very large fee associated with this. Different rental car agencies may have different prices and policies.

More expensive, but possibly less hassle, Mears transportation service will provide a private car for about $200 flat fee from WBC to Tampa airport. You might be able to arrange for a wait/drive to the stadium for not much more. Then just a quick Uber back to the airport after the game.

Can they drop off rental car, check in and check luggage, take an uber to the game and after game uber back to airport to save time? Can you take any type of uber level from the Tampa airport or only the most expensive uber?

One detail you might do Best to investigate . . Southwest Airlines has a 4 hour maximum

amount of time before a flight . . you are allowed to check luggage.

IDNK if it is enforced or if other Airlines have the same amount of time or procedure.

I would try to post something to find a local that wants to go see a DR game. Maybe you could get them to drive, you buy their ticket, and half the gas. Other than that, you are looking at an expensive trip. It is a little over an hour drive each way.

I would keep it simple and rent a car from National at the Car Care Center at 4:30 pm on 4/1 and drop off at the Tampa airport after the game on 4/2. Rental car drop off is right outside of the terminal and a compact car will cost less than $60 for the day (plus gas and parking at the game).

I would keep it simple and rent a car from National at the Car Care Center at 4:30 pm on 4/1 and drop off at the Tampa airport after the game on 4/2. Rental car drop off is right outside of the terminal and a compact car will cost less than $60 for the day (plus gas and parking at the game).

I'm much more stressed about the logistics than my husband and son. They keep telling me not to worry they'll figure it out (which usually means picking up the phone when they are ready to leave and calling an Uber) but I need a solid, least expensive, plan. I will check rates at the car care center.

Last edited:
I'm much more stressed about the logistics than my husband and son. They keep telling me not to worry they'll figure it out (which usually means picking up the phone shen they ate ready to keavd and calling an Uber) but I need a solid, least expensive, plan. I will check rates at the car care center.
A car will be MUCH cheaper than Uber.

Usually there is no drop off fee for car rentals in Florida if you rent at one place and drop off at another. Personally I think the easiest would be to rent a car, drive to Tampa airport, drop off car, check bags if possible and take uber to game and back to airport. For a 630 flight they would need to leave game by 4 if getting an uber or taxi and earlier if they have a car to drop off. Another option for bags is for you to take bags so they don't have any, saving more time.

Usually there is no drop off fee for car rentals in Florida if you rent at one place and drop off at another.
Actually, that has changed in the past few years. Many companies now either charge drop off fees of they charge more for the base rate for a one-way v/s a round trip rental.

One part decided is that I will take the luggage home on my flight with my daughter and my son's teamates will take his baseball gear home in their bags.

Thankfully we are all taking Southwest and we do have a washer dryer in our condo so we will be able to pack light.

You indeed can only check-in for your flight 4 hours ahead of time in Southwest. (Game starts at 1:10 and earliest check-in woukd be 2:30).

This weekend I need to crunch the uber vs car rental numbers.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Please note that the Rays play in St. Petersburg not Tampa. While it is not a long drive back to the airport (20-30 min) its not around the corner like the Bucs stadium is. I vote for car rental.

Usually there is no drop off fee for car rentals in Florida if you rent at one place and drop off at another. Personally I think the easiest would be to rent a car, drive to Tampa airport, drop off car, check bags if possible and take uber to game and back to airport. For a 630 flight they would need to leave game by 4 if getting an uber or taxi and earlier if they have a car to drop off. Another option for bags is for you to take bags so they don't have any, saving more time.

Actually, that has changed in the past few years. Many companies now either charge drop off fees of they charge more for the base rate for a one-way v/s a round trip rental.

I'm with cedricandsophie on this issue. I do a lot of intra-Florida, one-way car rentals. (I'd estimate 18-20 trips in the past three years.) I've never seen a one-way fee with Alamo, National, Avis, Hertz, or Budget. I've also not seen instances where base rates become significantly higher due to one-way trips.

Gulf coast resident here. I make the drive from Sarasota to just past the Tampa airport at least twice a week. Please keep in mind that the drive from the Trop to TPA will require going over the Howard Franklin Bridge. This often backs up with traffic especially if an accident occurs anywhere in the area. Allow time, because what should be a 20/30 minute drive can easily turn into an hour when traffic happens. I sat on that bridge for a good 45 minutes two days ago, MKL day, at 3 in the afternoon because of a broken down car in the left lane. There is not much shoulder room on the bridge. You may zip through but you may also move at a snails pace. Unfortunately, just because its a Sunday afternoon does not guarantee no traffic.

I'm with cedricandsophie on this issue. I do a lot of intra-Florida, one-way car rentals. (I'd estimate 18-20 trips in the past three years.) I've never seen a one-way fee with Alamo, National, Avis, Hertz, or Budget. I've also not seen instances where base rates become significantly higher due to one-way trips.
I do a lot of one-way rentals too. My in-laws were in Tampa and we would often fly into TPA and out of MCO (or visa versa). My experience in the last few years is that nearly all companies charged either (1) more for a one-way rental v/s a round-trip rental or (2) a drop-off fee.

I just did an experiment using the same random dates (5/14-5/21) for a Full Size car (no codes or coupons):

Alamo - MCO-MCO = $252.00 MCO-TPA = $290.00
National - MCO-MCO = $470, MCO-TPA = $825.00
Avis - MCO-MCO = $367.00, MCO-TPA = $379.00
Hertz - MCO-MCO = $506.00, MCO-TPA = $414.00 (!)
Budget - MCO-MCO = $326.00, MCO-TPA = $438.00
Dollar - MCO-MCO = $236.00, MCO-TPA = $513.00

I'd rent a car and pay any additional one-way fees. I usually rent with Budget and often either rent in Tampa and drop off in Orlando or vice-versa. The charge is usually minimal and definitely low enough to make it the only option I would consider in your situation OP.

I do a lot of one-way rentals too. My in-laws were in Tampa and we would often fly into TPA and out of MCO (or visa versa). My experience in the last few years is that nearly all companies charged either (1) more for a one-way rental v/s a round-trip rental or (2) a drop-off fee.

Interesting. Perhaps it is more market-based. Because going from Fort Lauderdale to/from Orlando, I never see great disparities or extra fees.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter