Best Luau? Chiefs? Aulani? Paradise Cove?

PocahontasLookALike

DIS Veteran
we are DVC members and somehow managed to secure a reservation in March! However, when I called to book the luau they said they had no openings for any of the days we will be there. I'm kinda bummed that we will most likely have to leave our resort where there is a luau to go to another location! But it is what it is. What's the word on the street for the best luau near? Do they offer shuttles to them? Thanks for your help!

Chiefs luau hands down was fun and totally better than AULANIs.
Ive been reading your TR and saw this!
That's how I found out the name! I've heard of Paradise Cove, but no Chiefs. Did you do the paradise or the royal experience? is the royal experience worth the extra money? we will have two kids 8 and 9 with us. Do you they offer transportation from Aulani?

Ive been reading your TR and saw this!
That's how I found out the name! I've heard of Paradise Cove, but no Chiefs. Did you do the paradise or the royal experience? is the royal experience worth the extra money? we will have two kids 8 and 9 with us. Do you they offer transportation from Aulani?

I had a rental car but it was only 11 minutes away. If I had kids I would without a doubt do chiefs luau it’s just so much fun…the AULANI one is very cultural and monotone the chiefs one was just such a fun experience we had a blast at it.

the luau started at 5 pm

we are DVC members and somehow managed to secure a reservation in March! However, when I called to book the luau they said they had no openings for any of the days we will be there. I'm kinda bummed that we will most likely have to leave our resort where there is a luau to go to another location! But it is what it is. What's the word on the street for the best luau near? Do they offer shuttles to them? Thanks for your help!
We went to Paradise Cove this week and really enjoyed it! Took my 4yo daughter and she loved the dancing. The food wasn’t bad either and it was a quick walk from Aulani. I’d definitely recommend it!

We are doing Experience Nutridge in April. It has great reviews on trip advisor and is a smaller setting up on Tantulus. We have two kids that are teens. I liked the idea of a smaller setting. You'd have to get your own transportation from Aulani though.

We are looking at the same choices this July,,,Chiefs seems to be less expensive as well. But might need to uber since drinks are included and I am the driver...lol

I guess it all depends what you are looking for...I just found Chief's luau to be very FUN - it had light comedy, amazing fire performances, and the dancers/warriors were fun. Aulani might have been more culturally accurate, however it wasn't as fun. The food was great at Aulani, but the overall show was not that great in my personal opinion.

so quick check for all 3 on pricing. Now these are all the min pricing for end of July this year when we will be there. Each Luau has different ages so that effects the price as well. We have 2 adults, 15,11 so 4 in total.
Disney all are adults pricing, for Chiefs and PC 2 adults, 1 youth , 1 child.
Disney $833.52.....Chiefs $555....PC $445
So some big differences. Now Chiefs and PC were both on same night,,Disney show no availabilty for June or July,,not sure if all sold out or not.
Now I know with a trip to Hawaii there will be expenses, but cant see spending that much more for the shows.
PC I dont think includes drinks, Chiefs includes 2 and Disney is all you can drink. Now even in my college years, not sure if I could drink that much.
Thinking PC and have a few drinks, still wont add up to the other, and no need to drive.
FYI

@Mort11331
Thanks for doing the comparison...you just helped me exclude Aulani for my party of 6 adults in August. 4 in our party don't drink alcohol, the other 2 are maximum 2 beers casual drinkers.

@Mort11331
Thanks for doing the comparison...you just helped me exclude Aulani for my party of 6 adults in August. 4 in our party don't drink alcohol, the other 2 are maximum 2 beers casual drinkers.
we have put in a room request for overlooking the Luau lawn,,so hope to see it from there,,but go to PC as well

so quick check for all 3 on pricing. Now these are all the min pricing for end of July this year when we will be there. Each Luau has different ages so that effects the price as well. We have 2 adults, 15,11 so 4 in total.
Disney all are adults pricing, for Chiefs and PC 2 adults, 1 youth , 1 child.
Disney $833.52.....Chiefs $555....PC $445
So some big differences. Now Chiefs and PC were both on same night,,Disney show no availabilty for June or July,,not sure if all sold out or not.
Now I know with a trip to Hawaii there will be expenses, but cant see spending that much more for the shows.
PC I dont think includes drinks, Chiefs includes 2 and Disney is all you can drink. Now even in my college years, not sure if I could drink that much.
Thinking PC and have a few drinks, still wont add up to the other, and no need to drive.
FYI
PC will give you a gift card to use while you’re there and you can use it at the bar. Drinks weren’t priced terribly…$4 for a soda and I believe $8 for a mai tai.

PC peaked my interest when I read here was walking distance. That may be a game changers as we won’t have a car the entire time. We’re not really drinkers so the extra drinks aren’t a big sell for me.

chiefs had such a good review from CampbellzSoup on here so that interested me too.

Can anyone compare PC and chiefs for me??? Is upgrading the seating worth it at either?

I c
PC peaked my interest when I read here was walking distance. That may be a game changers as we won’t have a car the entire time. We’re not really drinkers so the extra drinks aren’t a big sell for me.

chiefs had such a good review from CampbellzSoup on here so that interested me too.

Can anyone compare PC and chiefs for me??? Is upgrading the seating worth it at either?
I cant compare chiefs but I’m not sure the upgraded seating is worth it at PC. We chose the lowest tier (wasn’t sure how the 4yo would do) and were seated off to the side. We were still able to see everything just fine. We did have to stand in line to get our food instead of being served but that was fine and the lines moved quickly.

We chose PC based on the recommendation of local friends who actually used to perform there.

Last edited:
Oh that’s good to know! We’ll have younger kids and I was concerned those side seats wouldn’t be good views for them. So that’s good to hear that even with your littlest little the view is still good.

I might be leaning towards PC based off the walk ability to it from Aulani.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter