• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Best DVC resort for someone using an ECV?

disney-super-mom

DIS Veteran
I would really like to get my mother and father to come to WDW with us next year.

My father is 80 and would definately need to rent an ECV to get around.

I was thinking about staying at OKW because my parents (and my DH) really enjoy golfing and would love to look out onto a golfcourse from the patio. And of course the rooms afford a bit more space.

But on the other hand, are there other DVC resorts at WDW that would be more convenient for someone using an ECV?

I just want to make sure there isn't something I'm missing when it comes to resort choice for a person using an ECV.

Thanks for any advice.:)

A ground floor unit at OKW would be ideal. As you said they enjoy the golf view, the units are larger, and of course a ground floor would make coming and going a snap.

If you will have a car, parking proximity is also best at OKW.

SSR would be a second choice. Every building has an elevator. The rooms are smaller and of course the views are different.

I would avoid VWL since most views there are non existant. Smaller rooms, and longer distances to the elevator. BWV and BCV are also similar in views would be typically pools, or other infrastructure. Same issue with smaller rooms, parking, and 'hotel' type set up.

The one thing you might consider is BCV if you're planning on going to Epcot a lot. Also, BCV has nice access to BC and YC areas, better shopping than the other resorts, and nice things like Beaches & Cream.

If you need the ECV at OKW, make sure that is noted on your reservation so they don't give you an upper floor. There are only three buildings with elevators at OKW (62, 63 and 64).

My sister joined us in April at BWV and brought a scooter, and it was most ideal. We used park transportation, and she owns her own scooter.

ECV's work quite well with the boats that go to both Epcot and the Studios. The long stretches to the elevators are a non-issue because you have the ECV. You also have free valet service, and the disabled parking at BWV is very near the front door.

Studios at all but OKW can be a bit crowded to park your scooter, but don't believe they would be a problem for larger accommodations.

I would choose to stay at BWV/BCV with ECVs. Though its not a huge problem, scooters take longer to get on buses, and you may have to wait on the next bus if someone is ahead of you with a scooter waiting to ride. (This would be all the time with OKW and SSR.)

At VWL, you only have boats for MK, and I've read that there are issues with ECVs riding from the WL dock at times because the water can be more turbulent on Bay Lake.

However, if you prefer to drive everywhere...SSR and OKW would be better.

OKW has the largest sq footage, so that would work. As said prior, get a ground floor or the section w/ elevators. I have been at WDW resorts and have seen evc's ride up the lawn and park on the patio. That was at the poly, conciege bldg. as far as wdw resorts, they also have larger rooms then other luxary accomindations.:santa:

I would choose to stay at BWV/BCV with ECVs. Though its not a huge problem, scooters take longer to get on buses, and you may have to wait on the next bus if someone is ahead of you with a scooter waiting to ride. (This would be all the time with OKW and SSR.)
I agree with BWV or BCV. OKW is nice, but I like the freedom to boat or scoot to Epcot or MGM. A scooter would be FINE in a studio. My mother and in-laws had one in a POP Century room :eek: with no problems.

Between the two, I think I'd pick SSR over OKW. My reason being there is simply more to scooter to at SSR. OKW didn't impress me with the amount of sidewalks by parking lot. I had to do quite a bit of maneuvering around cars and finding the ramps there in my powerchair.

If a golf course view is a must for your dad and hubby, then ask for the Grandstand area at SSR. The views are of the golf course & resort or golf course & canal. Also you are the first stop on the bus route there so there are usually empty slots for scooters and wheelchairs (2 per bus).

Scootering around SSR is a different experience from OKW. Pretty much all the walkways are set in the meadows and lakesides, away from the street. The only time you get street side is directly in the center at the Springs (by Community Hall and the pool). Also it is a shorter distance to DTD (and seems to go faster by scooter than ferry).

One word to the wise. Those ferries, like the busses, only allow 2 scooters/wheelchairs per boat. Some safety thing.

Thanks for all the great replies everyone.

It looks like there are a few things to think about when it comes to resort choice for my parents. I think I'll run all this by them (if they decide they want to go), and see what they say.

I'm not sure if my dad would need to use an ECV at the resort, but I know he couldn't handle stairs. Afterall, he's got 80 year old legs and they just don't offer the strength anymore to do stairs too often.

I'm also thinking they'll really love Epcot and want to spend most of their time there, so that's something to consider as well.

Hmmmm, lots of things to consider. Well like I said, I guess I'll run all this by them and see what they say.:)

My vote is for BWV (boardwalk view) or BCV. Plenty to see from the balcony and plenty to do around the resort area. Having EPCOT and MGM so close is another great advantage. He could use the boats or his ECV to either park.

if you are getting them a studio - definitely get a handicapped room.

ECV can be hard for some people to get into a regular studio.

even if he feels he doesn't need one - get him one!!! You will feel bad if he falls down.

We just returned from a week long stay at BWV and my sister had a scooter.
I would agree that the BC or BWV resorts are very convenient to transportation.

She used boats to Epcot/MGM, but sometimes we walked and she just rode her scooter. The boat travel with a scooter is easier to me than loading the bus.

You may plan on taking a short extension cord (or you can ask housekeeping for one) to give you more choice where to plug the scooter in overnight in your room.

You may plan on taking a short extension cord (or you can ask housekeeping for one) to give you more choice where to plug the scooter in overnight in your room.

We usually bring a small surge protector with us. Allows my dad to plug in his scooter along with his cell phone charger, portable shaver, my camera battery charger, even the laptop. Much easier to just flip a power switch than it is to unplug/plug at the wall.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter