Best CC for new credit

4HOLIDAYS

DIS Veteran
I am looking for some houghts on the best way for my DS20 to build credit. I am unsure if I should add him to one of my mine or should he apply for one of his own. He works FT, lives at home, $ in the bank, responsible. If he should get a CC in just his name any ideas as to which might be best?

I am looking for some houghts on the best way for my DS20 to build credit. I am unsure if I should add him to one of my mine or should he apply for one of his own. He works FT, lives at home, $ in the bank, responsible. If he should get a CC in just his name any ideas as to which might be best?

My daughter started out with a Discover Student card which she got when she was a college sophomore. We didn't have to sign for it, she didn't have to show any income. They gave her a $500 credit limit to start with. She's had it for about a year and a half and they have raised her limit to $1800.

I'm a big fan of credit union credit cards. ours has one that's no fee and a very low interest rate. when I looked into one for dd, b/c she was a student I would have had to co-sign BUT as the co-signer I had the right to put a cap on the limit and it wouldn't be raised without both dd and I agreeing in writing for the credit union. dd was told to check with customer service in the branch in 6 months and then at 1 year to see if she had built up enough of a credit score to qualify on her own.

For me to build credit, my mom had me apply for an Amex Blue Cash Everyday card. I was only working PT and still in undergrad, but I was originally accepted and my credit limit was $1000 (its gone up quite a bit since then). I only use it for groceries (because you get 3% back), but I did use it for some bigger purchases on furniture when I moved into my new apartment. I also find their Offers to be good, and can normally find at least one that would apply to me and could get cash back on, such as Hulu or SlingTV. It's helped me build my credit, but I am also on one of my mom's CCs, this was after I had my own though.

usually a authorized user is good to start out with. get some history.

id probably start with like citi double cash card. 1% on everything... 1% on what he pays... pretty good incentive. Also its a mastercard so its taken almost everywhere.

My son gets offers from several different cards so I wasn't sure if he qualifies on his own. Would they put another hard pull on my credit to also ad him to one of mine?

well when my ds was round that age, I had him apply for a no fee card to start out. He doesn't like credit cards, but I felt that he needed to learn how to handle one,and to build credit. A chase freedom unlimited card would be a good starter.Then he gets rewards for using it. IDK about your son, but mine was getting offers in the mail for cc's long before he even had a job!

The first card I had at 18 was the discover more (now I think it's discover student or discover it) card. I still have it and like it a lot.

Discover It, Chase Freedom or Amex blue cash everyday. Maybe even Capital one quicksilver.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter