Benches

For me i dont care about benches for viewing, I just stand for those events...the benches would be useful for just having a rest, enjoying a drink or snack etc

But you would still have people trying to sit on the benches, if they were placed near the railings at the World Showcases, trying to see Illuminations. And then they would be upset when people stood in front of them. There have been posts before about that problem, people sitting wherever they could and then being mad that others stood in front of them and blocking their view.

I know they used to have more benches, and in it would be nice for those who just wanted to sit for a bit. However I would guess that those benches became more of a pain for Disney than the were worth to them.

If you ever tried to leave MK after the fireworks, you'll see why they can't put any benches on Main Street.

Agreed. People are already tripping over each other in the rush. They don't need to put actual objects in the way as well!

I know they used to have more benches, and in it would be nice for those who just wanted to sit for a bit. However I would guess that those benches became more of a pain for Disney than the were worth to them.

This is probably just the cynical side of me breaking loose, but Disney probably thinks that fewer benches means lower maintenance and replacement costs. Plus, if the only place to sit is at a food outlet, you'll spend more money.

This is probably just the cynical side of me breaking loose, but Disney probably thinks that fewer benches means lower maintenance and replacement costs. Plus, if the only place to sit is at a food outlet, you'll spend more money.

:thumbsup2 I was thinking the exact same thing.

We were there is December. Epcot seemed to have a lot more benches than MK. What bothered me most at MK was the inconsiderate people regarding the benches. We got Micky Bars one afternoon and were looking for a place to sit and relax for a few minutes. The area of about four benches in the area between Splash Mountain and Thunder Mtn Railroad. All four benches were occupied by adults, laying down trying to take a nap. Really??? We even tried to nicely hint at a few of them share the bench. No takers. We all ended upsitting on the ground close to the benches to eat our ice cream. We were there 20-30 minutes, and not a single person gave up there bench to anyone. If you are that tires. Go back to the hotel and take a nap.

I don't doubt that either. Less headaches for them all the way around. No maintenance, no kids jumping off and getting hurt, no people fighting over the space. Lots of reasons to get rid of them unfortunately.

The little one was 5 & she wouldn't get on Splash Mountain. I waited it out with her while the rest of the gang went on. She did insist on watching everyone come down the flume drop so we stood there...and stood there. No bench in sight. I was not happy. May be different since that was 2008 but I don't think so. There was a fence so a bench could have easily fit there (not the fence closest to the Splash but away from it).

Benches have been disappearing regulary since I started going 10+ years ago. Used to be plenty of them. Does anyone else see a possible corrolation between fewer benches and more people with ECVs?

Agreed. People are already tripping over each other in the rush. They don't need to put actual objects in the way as well!

I've been a Fla resident and AP for about 13 years now, and this is the main issue of fewer benches...You can see it clearly now, there are about 2 benches on Hollywood Blvd at DHS but come SWW those benches dissapear for the duration of the event. Then they put them back. But you can still find those benches around Echo Lake, so it's not like they dissapeared. At Epcot and MK the just got rid of them all together, they do move some of them to the Rose Garden in MK on busier seasons.

The little one was 5 & she wouldn't get on Splash Mountain. I waited it out with her while the rest of the gang went on. She did insist on watching everyone come down the flume drop so we stood there...and stood there. No bench in sight. I was not happy. May be different since that was 2008 but I don't think so. There was a fence so a bench could have easily fit there (not the fence closest to the Splash but away from it).

I don't think a bench there would be a good idea. I can just see kids climbing on it, and then hopping over the bridge!:eek: Plus, many times they have the water set to spray that area, so any bench there would deteriorate very quickly. Plus, if people stood in front of you you couldn't see anything anyway.

Don't you know how hard it is to get money out of your pocket when you are sitting on a bench? TDBIASWS.:thumbsup2

Just have a sit-down at the nearest CS location.

That's surely not a big deal! :lmao:

Just have a sit-down at the nearest CS location.

That's surely not a big deal! :lmao:

Sometimes that won't work. When the parks are extra busy they won't allow you to sit in a CS restaurant unless you have food in hand. They have CMs stationed to enforce that too.

I was just remarking to my dh that the benches were all gone from around the front sides of the castle (towards adventureland) . We used to just sit there for a few min. by the lake and just relax occasionally. They haven't been gone too long.

Some of you are missing the point. I'm not talking about benches on the parade route that guarantee you front row seating, but benches at the back so you have the option to sit if you like or need to. I do think there should be benches facing World Showcase Lagoon though as it is a nice view even not during Illuminations. Yes, you are going to have some rude people who come late and block your view, but you have that anyway. And maybe, just maybe, some of the people who are simply in poor physical shape (not those of you with actual medical conditions) will have places to sit and rest and NOT rent a motorized wheelchair (which are definitely a bigger problem than benches).

Foot traffic is already so congested on Main Street and the Hub that adding anything else to the mix would make the jams even worse. I remember when the Main Street vehicles used to run all day; they can't do that now because of the sheer lack of pavement available.

Some of you are missing the point. I'm not talking about benches on the parade route that guarantee you front row seating, but benches at the back so you have the option to sit if you like or need to.

The issue is that they would have to be up against the front wall of the buildings and even there they would block the sidewalk. But then once the parade started you would be 5 people back. So then what would some people do, stand on the bench.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter