Beach with Boardwalk

donnajz

DIS Veteran
My 24 y/o daughter and myself will be in California next May. We'd like to visit a beach that has shops, restaurants, etc. (probably a boardwalk). We'll be in Anaheim and then driving to San Diego. We probably won't be swimming but just walking around enjoying the sights. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Yeah, there aren't very many boardwalks per se on the West coast. Most of the time the beaches are at the bottom of cliffs or part of parks. Santa Cruz (obviously too far north) and Venice Beach are the only other ones I can think of. If you aren't going in the water at all, there are places along the waterfront in San Diego that have lots of shops and restaurants that are on the water, but it's more of a marina. Seaport Village and the Embarcadero are right downtown San Diego and can be a beautiful walk. Belmont Park that bcla mentioned is also a lot of fun with amusement park rides, shops, and the beach. Coronado Island is a great place to walk around also with the Hotel Del Coronado, there is a water taxi that leaves from downtown San Diego and goes to Coronado or you can drive across the bridge.

Most of the coastal towns have shops/restaurants near the beach (not ON the beach, but across the street.)

Manhattan Beach, Redondo Beach, Huntington Beach, Newport, Laguna, etc. I like walking around Laguna Beach personally, but they all have a slightly different flavor so depends what you like.

The other Boardwalk-type place other than those already mentioned would be Pacific Park at Santa Monica Pier, though it's in the wrong direction if you're going from Anaheim to SD.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!