Be Our Guest Lunch on the DP Questions

DizneyLizzy

DIS Veteran
Hi guys,

Never done the DP before. Having lunch at BoG. Couple of questions.

1. Can we still choose the pre-order option?

2. Can we substitute a bottles of water for our desserts?

3. If we can pre-order do we just add everything we want in, and then explain substitutions once we get there (water for dessert, for example)

Thanks!

1. Yes, but your whole party must pay with a single DDP.

2. BOG has been unkind about substitutions.

3. See 2.

Just to tag on to this thread, is it absolutely necessary to pre-order? What is the down side of not doing so? Long lines? Thanks

Just to tag on to this thread, is it absolutely necessary to pre-order? What is the down side of not doing so? Long lines? Thanks
Longer lines and wait, generally. People who pre-order are fairly together. The people who didn't usually have issues with kiosks and ordering and probably are the people who get in line at Chipotle and can't figure out what they want by the time they make it to the counter.

Definitely not necessary to preorder, but when you have an impatient 2 1/2 year old, it sure is nice to just go in and sit down rather than waiting in a line in a cramped corridor :-) we did not preorder in March and definitely wished we had!

1. Yes, but your whole party must pay with a single DDP.

2. BOG has been unkind about substitutions.

3. See 2.

Have you had experience with #2? I guess i will pre-order, and if they give me trouble about substituting bottles of water for the desserts, I'll just get the desserts. Thank you!

Have you had experience with #2? I guess i will pre-order, and if they give me trouble about substituting bottles of water for the desserts, I'll just get the desserts. Thank you!
Last December DH was able to substitute French Onion Soup for his dessert selection. There was a choice for that on the dessert selection screen. Haven't tried to substitute with a drink though.

There hasn't been any difficulties using your dessert entitlement for something else. The difficulty is trying to switch the drink portion for something else. The reasoning most see for this is the drink stations are out WITH cups and it's the honor system. So if you swap your drink for a soup or another cupcake, there's nothing stopping you from then getting a cup and ALSO getting a drink.

You should be fine swapping your cupcake for a bottle of water, but WHY?? Those cupcakes are pretty good!

There hasn't been any difficulties using your dessert entitlement for something else. The difficulty is trying to switch the drink portion for something else. The reasoning most see for this is the drink stations are out WITH cups and it's the honor system. So if you swap your drink for a soup or another cupcake, there's nothing stopping you from then getting a cup and ALSO getting a drink.

You should be fine swapping your cupcake for a bottle of water, but WHY?? Those cupcakes are pretty good!

Thank you!! We are a party of 5 adults and one under 3 year old...so 5 cupcakes at every meal MIGHT be a lot. Also, I'm about 5 1/2 months pregnant, so we figure we can use as many bottles of water as we can get our hands on, even though we can always grab free cups at counter service. I think at BoG we'll probably get 2 or 3 cupcakes to split and then swap out the rest for bottles of H2O - gonna be HOT this weekend :-)

Thanks again for sharing your experiences.

Thank you!! We are a party of 5 adults and one under 3 year old...so 5 cupcakes at every meal MIGHT be a lot. Also, I'm about 5 1/2 months pregnant, so we figure we can use as many bottles of water as we can get our hands on, even though we can always grab free cups at counter service. I think at BoG we'll probably get 2 or 3 cupcakes to split and then swap out the rest for bottles of H2O - gonna be HOT this weekend :-)

Thanks again for sharing your experiences.
The cupcakes are pretty small.

The cupcakes are pretty small.

Are they? I've been to BoG many times, but never while on Dining Plan, so I've never thought to try one. I'm usually more of a stop-for-an-ice-cream-cone-later-in-the-day kind of person than a dessert with my meal person. That's good to know - maybe we'll get 3 cupcakes and 2 extra bottles of water :-) Thanks again!

Longer lines and wait, generally. People who pre-order are fairly together. The people who didn't usually have issues with kiosks and ordering and probably are the people who get in line at Chipotle and can't figure out what they want by the time they make it to the counter.
\

I like to think of myself as being fairly together, but we are a party of six in two rooms, thus two DDP cards. Based on what I have read, it does not seem we will be able to pre-order.

\

I like to think of myself as being fairly together, but we are a party of six in two rooms, thus two DDP cards. Based on what I have read, it does not seem we will be able to pre-order.

I bet you could pre-order if you split into 2 smaller reservations?

We are a party of 5 adults, but only 3 of us are on the dining plan. We are just going to use 5 of our QS credits to pay for 5 meals at BoG.

I bet you could pre-order if you split into 2 smaller reservations?

We are a party of 5 adults, but only 3 of us are on the dining plan. We are just going to use 5 of our QS credits to pay for 5 meals at BoG.

I don't think there is any way to split into two reservations without canceling the original one. And, this reservation was way too hard to get to chance that! And, we are two different families - so too confusing to put on one card and make sure, we somehow make sure things come out even in the end. I may call to inquire though. Thanks.

Hi guys,

Never done the DP before. Having lunch at BoG. Couple of questions.

1. Can we still choose the pre-order option?

2. Can we substitute a bottles of water for our desserts?

3. If we can pre-order do we just add everything we want in, and then explain substitutions once we get there (water for dessert, for example)

Thanks!

Just curious - what is your purpose for ordering water instead of dessert? They'll give you to go cups filled with water for free if you're just looking for extra water. We did pre order with substitutions and simply told the cast member when we arrived and were confirming our order. No problems.

Just curious - what is your purpose for ordering water instead of dessert? They'll give you to go cups filled with water for free if you're just looking for extra water. We did pre order with substitutions and simply told the cast member when we arrived and were confirming our order. No problems.

Thank you!! We really don't want or need all of the desserts, but what we can always use are extra bottles of water to carry in the parks or take back to the room. It's easy to get free water in the parks, but it's nice to put the bottles in the fridge at the end of the day. Especially when it's super hot out.

I just pre-ordered and I got 2 cupcakes and 3 bottles of water for our "desserts." I'll be sure to tell the server about our substitutions. Thanks so much for sharing your experience :-)

Thank you!! We really don't want or need all of the desserts, but what we can always use are extra bottles of water to carry in the parks or take back to the room. It's easy to get free water in the parks, but it's nice to put the bottles in the fridge at the end of the day. Especially when it's super hot out.

I just pre-ordered and I got 2 cupcakes and 3 bottles of water for our "desserts." I'll be sure to tell the server about our substitutions. Thanks so much for sharing your experience :-)

Try the grey stuff, it's delicious! My favorite dessert there. :-)

For anyone interested, BoG did NOT let me get waters instead of desserts. They said I could have gotten soups instead of desserts, but not waters. The cupcakes ended up being delicious, but a lot went to waste bc it was just so much food.

We were also told we could not get waters instead of dessert at Cantina de San Angel. There we had to get 5 orders of churros instead, many of which also went to waste. They were tasty as well, but...too much! At Cosmic Rays, they had no problem giving us a bottle of water instead of a dessert. It must vary by CM and/or location.

For anyone interested, BoG did NOT let me get waters instead of desserts. They said I could have gotten soups instead of desserts, but not waters. The cupcakes ended up being delicious, but a lot went to waste bc it was just so much food.

We were also told we could not get waters instead of dessert at Cantina de San Angel. There we had to get 5 orders of churros instead, many of which also went to waste. They were tasty as well, but...too much! At Cosmic Rays, they had no problem giving us a bottle of water instead of a dessert. It must vary by CM and/or location.

Wonder what's up with this. Even before the fine print of "may be able to exchange drink/dessert for snack" on the brochure, most places would let you get a bottle of water instead of the dessert. Did you push at all or ask to speak with a manager? This is very odd.

Wonder what's up with this. Even before the fine print of "may be able to exchange drink/dessert for snack" on the brochure, most places would let you get a bottle of water instead of the dessert. Did you push at all or ask to speak with a manager? This is very odd.

I didn't push at all. It wasn't a huge deal to us, we just felt bad wasting food, and would have rather had some more waters. The two CMs at both BoG and La Cantina seemed pretty adamant. The CM at Cosmic Rays said of course we could substitute. Since we were getting the dining plan for free, we weren't as concerned about getting every last cent out of the plan. We felt like we got great value out of our character dinners and expensive QS meals, so we ended up just using a lot of our snack credits for waters. Had I been paying for the plan, my attitude would have been different. I probably would have brought the fine print about the plan with me!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter